Sony ES amplifiers

Does anyone here have sony ES amplifiers from the 80s and 90s?
I had 590es and 690es. Both well made, and had good control over the speakers which dips easily to 4ohms. Felt a slight coloration on the mid bass though on both. Other than that they are quite good amps if you can find it in good condition. As opposed to many other brands at that time, the front panel was made of hard plastic (instead of Aluminium) if I am not wrong.

Hi

I am using 333esr. I was told by one sony enthusiast that 333esr is one of the best sounding unit from es line owing to its transformer.

One thing to be kept in mind that most units have fusible resistors that may have drifted. I had them changed to metal film (32 in total).

Recommended bias is 15mv but sounded a bit too clean. Increasing the bias to 17mv made it sound to my taste.

Regards

Hi
I am using 333esr. I was told by one sony enthusiast that 333esr is one of the best sounding unit from es line owing to its transformer.

One thing to be kept in mind that most units have fusible resistors that may have drifted. I had them changed to metal film (32 in total).

Recommended bias is 15mv but sounded a bit too clean. Increasing the bias to 17mv made it sound to my taste.

Regards
Interesting, how did you make these adjustments?

I'm curious to know what you guys think of the es compared to modern day hifi

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you change fusible resistors to non fusible types? Fusible resistors are there for a purpose.

Why would you change fusible resistors to non fusible types? Fusible resistors are there for a purpose.
I know that fusible resistors are there for a purpose. More often they were used as they were flameproof rather than to limit the current (as explained to me).

Most of them had drifted and amp was unstable and unplayable.The solution was to change the resistors same type or metal film non flamable type.

I was recommended by techs, who had refurbished/restored sony es series amps to go for the latter.

Regards

I know that fusible resistors are there for a purpose. More often they were used as they were flameproof rather than to limit the current (as explained to me).
They are meant to fail (melt) on current overload. They resist as well as perform the function of a fuse.
I was recommended by techs, who had refurbished/restored sony es series amps to go for the latter.
Yes, metal film will work but one function is not performed that fusible resistors perform.

Anyways, I don't think anyone uses fusible resistors anymore.

Former owner of a sony n80es (dual toroid version)....
This Sony was a very direct sounding power amp, unlike the Sansuis that had some flavour depending on the lineup. I still prefer Sansui G Series among all vintage amps (for their in your face disco like energetic and fast sound).
Compared to modern amps, yes the 80es could match the neutral nature of modern amps but unlike many class D and AB amps of today the sony didn't sound lifeless. It was powerful, tight and very engaging. Wasn't the most refined....which can be attributed to parts getting too old.

Former owner of a sony n80es (dual toroid version)....
This Sony was a very direct sounding power amp, unlike the Sansuis that had some flavour depending on the lineup. I still prefer Sansui G Series among all vintage amps (for their in your face disco like energetic and fast sound).
Compared to modern amps, yes the 80es could match the neutral nature of modern amps but unlike many class D and AB amps of today the sony didn't sound lifeless. It was powerful, tight and very engaging. Wasn't the most refined....which can be attributed to parts getting too old.
where is that n80es today?

It's with a friend in Pune
Traded it for a low wattage Linn power amp
Linn gives immense refinement but doesn't have the tautness of sony
Then there is the Sansui G7500 in Bangalore for repairs. Thats the grand daddy of Linn and Sony:cool:

Then there is the Sansui G7500 in Bangalore for repairs. Thats the grand daddy of Linn and Sony:cool:
Have you ever compared the n80es to say the 333 esg/esx ? also ever heard the n90es?

Curious to know what youre comparison of an n80es or 333 esg would be to say a modern supernait 3

Have you ever compared the n80es to say the 333 esg/esx ? also ever heard the n90es?

Curious to know what youre comparison of an n80es or 333 esg would be to say a modern supernait 3
This is hard for anyone. After all these years due to aging, reviewing one vintage gear vs another is tricky. A lower end well serviced amp would sound cleaner than a higher end about to die amp. Even with servicing, if not done correctly as per the manual, there is still a chance that the amp is not running its full potential. With vintage, read internet always with a tinch of salt. There are guys who just write up good about their gear only to make it easy to sell at a later point ;) if you visits like audio review.com you can see lot of made up stories without anything to back up.

In. Bangalore ??? For repair. #. Who is.the Technician ??? Boss / sir

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back