sony EX650 vs Samsung ES5330 vs LG LS5700

helloemperor

Hello Experts,

I am planning to buy a 32 inches (cant go beyong this because of room size) LED Smart TV (Non 3D) and have shortlisted 3 TVs -

1. sony EX650
2. Samsung ES5330
3. LG LS5700

I have seen them and I didnt really felt much difference in the PQ. My requirements are :

- should be able to play most of the file formats (dont want to get into hassle of converting files)
- After sales service should be good
- internet features should be easy to use and ease to set-up

I like sony because of overall packaging and extended warranty option for decent prices. However support of file types is a big concern here.

On Samsung, I have concern regarding their after sales service. Their extended warranty rates are very very high (~7k for 2 years).

LG model too has good features. But somehow there are very few reviews and even salesperson doesnt push these models.

Here are my queries:

1. Which is the best overall package - Sony, Samsung or LG - from a longer term maintenance, viewership and user experience perspective?

2. LG and Sony are edge-lit LEDs whereas Samsung is Back-lit LED - which one is better - back-lit or edge-lit?

3. what is the "WiDi (Wireless Display) technology" - LG is offering it on its TV and their website says that you can connect laptop and Tv directly without using the network ? Is this available on Samsung and Sony ?

4. Is Advanced IPS panel on LG better than the panels of Sony and Samsung?

look forward to your suggestions and response.

Thanks.

Among these 3 in my opinion SONY EX 650 is better.

Sony only has one problem which is related to playing of file types ! To do a final test I have created a USB with 7-8 filetypes and I will go and check out what all files play in Sony, Samsung and LG .. Accordingly will take a call and will keep you posted :)

sony......blind cjoice..if paying so much can easily buy a media player for jiust 5k for playing all files.
one suggestion try same price range plasmas side by side..afetr checking plasma pitures you will change your mind from led to plasmsa.......dont take my word just fro sake..just experiment it..

sony......blind cjoice..if paying so much can easily buy a media player for jiust 5k for playing all files.
one suggestion try same price range plasmas side by side..afetr checking plasma pitures you will change your mind from led to plasmsa.......dont take my word just fro sake..just experiment it..

Thanks Prosenjit ! I would have gone for the plasma, but I have space only for a 32 inches screen and hence sticking to LED for the time being!

A few more queries:

1) Any suggestions on a good media player ? Will all media player work perfectly with Sony? Sony's ecosystem is kind of like Apple's ecosystem - not everything works seamlessly with it and hence the question. :)

2) Will all wireless keyboards work with Sony ? I know any wireless keyboard works with Samsung because my friend has another model, but not sure of Sony ?

2) Sony has Edge lit LED vs Samsung's Back lit. Which one is better?

Thanks for your time !

1.asus o play mini..avilable 3.8k in e bay india.playes all files.can bitstream hd audio.so future proof.
2.no idea.
3.this edge lit and back lit..not better or worse..take what is good to your eyes.my personal preference back lit.

also there is a separate thred how to convert files to make it playable in sony tvs onboard player.can search it.anyway much hassle.best is a 3.8k separate player.

Last edited:
Hi OP,
You can refer this post to http://www.hifivision.com/television/26438-how-play-mkv-file-sony-bravia-led-tv-guide.htmlcheck playability..it also has some problems which you generally face at the time of playback.

Wireless keyboard support still not available with sony.

Edge lit model will offer better pic quality than back lit model here. it is because the back lit model comes without local dimming so there is no difference in pic quality..actually back lit model use fewer leds than edge lit one here so edge lit model will offer better brightness and better contrast.

1.asus o play mini..avilable 3.8k in e bay india.playes all files.can bitstream hd audio.so future proof.
2.no idea.
3.this edge lit and back lit..not better or worse..take what is good to your eyes.my personal preference back lit.

also there is a separate thred how to convert files to make it playable in sony tvs onboard player.can search it.anyway much hassle.best is a 3.8k separate player.

Thanks Prosenjit. Asus o'Play mini does look awesome and vfm ! I think I will go for the Sony and will take this for the media playing. I have S2 and S3 from Samsung and there are small small issues dues to which somehow I am not completely convinced of Samsung's quality ! Sony is no doubt much better in terms of quality !

Hi OP,
You can refer this post to http://www.hifivision.com/television/26438-how-play-mkv-file-sony-bravia-led-tv-guide.htmlcheck playability..it also has some problems which you generally face at the time of playback.

Wireless keyboard support still not available with sony.

Edge lit model will offer better pic quality than back lit model here. it is because the back lit model comes without local dimming so there is no difference in pic quality..actually back lit model use fewer leds than edge lit one here so edge lit model will offer better brightness and better contrast.

Thanks lake1988 ! If I combine Asus player with Sony, I guess I have tackled the Samsung advantage of better media type support. Now only if Sony would have provided wireless keyboard support, their TVs would have clean-bowled Samsung on all front !. But then that has been a historical problem with Sony (just like Apple) - their products dont really work with accessories from other companies. Aargh, guess one cant have everything !

I will suggest to use the media playback capability of tv for now..atleast use the method to play mkvs..consider wdtv media player..it costs around double that of asus player..but wdtv got a very powerful video processor which results amazing pic quality.

Dear helloemperor

i just went thro the same decision and posted it on a thread . reproduced below for your benefit:

"i have just been thro the same exercise as yourself - finalising and deciding upon the 32" LED TV

i compared three brands panasonic ( TH-L32X50D), samsung ( UA32EH4800R) and sony ( 32ex5550) on parameters as PQ, AQ, viewing angle, USB supported formats, menu usability and ports

my observations:
PQ
all three fairly decent with pana being slightly on the bright side and sony having slightly better contrast. conclusion : all three equal

AQ
volume: samsung scores way higher because of 1000w speaker. sony and pana equal (on the low side as you will find for most LCD and LED)
clarity: samsung very poor audio clarity. sony and pana decent ( but after adjusting the audio controls)

USB supported formats ( i tried about 6-7 formats with each brand)
samsung played all ( and i mean all)
sony played very few
pana was just one step behind samsung ( missed only a few)

menu usability
samsung : very very poor. to set a particular feature like say picture brightness etc you have to go to menu separately, adjust and come back again to picture to see the difference ( while changing the setting you cannot see the difference). This is very irritating
sony : good
pana: good. you can simultaneously see the changes

ports
samsung: worst part is the lack of input ports and options. e.g. i have to connect my tata sky as well as my X Box. there is only one av composite input. after that you have to use HDMI or RF. i connected tata sky with RF - useless picture quality. even if i do connect tata sky with av and x-box with HDMI then say i have to connect camera to show photos to family then what??
sony : number of ports ok
pan: best. three HDMI and three AV. i dont have to worry about connecting anything. it also has a memoy card reader slot ( you might have to use an adapter though)

viewing angle
sony: OK but visible whiteness on screen if you move away beyond angle of about 25-30 deg. so it makes no sense to buy this if you are in a room where you are watching with a couple of friends because someone has to sit away ( and he will grumble!!!)
samsung: very poor. mooving away, again from lets say 25-30deg, screen whiteness is very visible, much more than sony.
pana: zero. zilch. no whiteness. because it has IPS panel ( sony and samsung do not)

All in all, having considered all above factors i purchased panasonic and am quite happy with my decision. also FYI no lag while playing X Box Kinect

hope it helps

cheers"

PQ
all three fairly decent with pana being slightly on the bright side and sony having slightly better contrast. conclusion : all three equal
Not gonna believe that...sony uses spva while pana uses IPS panel..spva panel got much higher contrast ratio and better black level as well as higher brightness..which gives sony best pic quality.

Back