Sony Home Theatre DAV DZ100

sganeshkr

The DVD player in my home theatre was rendered useless in a recent lightning attack and because of this I am told (by sony service centres in chennai) my speakers which are with a very old type of connectors/sockets (refer pic) cannot be used with the latest DVD players. Can you pls suggest any options to reuse these speakers by changing theirs wires and connectors to the latest / 3.5mm types ?
u6eqejuv.jpg

I can still use my old speakers. You can always use the speakers you just need an AVR or another player. I hate Sony for this piece of advice. But give us more information regarding what will be this usage? In case you want to watch movies match the speakers watts with the amp or player you want to buy.

Mostly they would have said the current wattage wont be supported. Try to buy any amp\player which delivers 60W per channel.

Check your manual for more specifications
Support for DAV-DZ100 : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

The DVD player in my home theatre was rendered useless in a recent lightning attack and because of this I am told (by sony service centres in chennai) my speakers which are with a very old type of connectors/sockets (refer pic) cannot be used with the latest DVD players. Can you pls suggest any options to reuse these speakers by changing theirs wires and connectors to the latest / 3.5mm types ?
u6eqejuv.jpg

as far as i see.. those are standard type spring clip plugs which can be easily used with any avr's/ amp with just the speaker cable not banana or spade plugs.

you can purchase cable from HiFiMart.com and get an AVR/ multi channel AMP.

however check the power rating for the speakers and input impedence.

Usually these are 3ohms speakers & the AVR's you get now adays are all 4ohms & above. 3ohms speakers need more power to drive the speakers. Hence increasing the volume on these speakers can cause the speakers heating up & shutting down the AVR. Please check the speaker rating & buy the AVR which is suitable. I am also having a similar Sony DAV DZ150k home theater system. I am trying to use the speaker system & buy an AVR only. But I found it is difficult to get an AVR suitable for this.

I think that the issue is likely with the DVD player. The speakers are passive and SW is also likely to be passive meaning that the DVD player has inbuilt amplifier for these speaker and it has conked off.
Take these speakers to local electronics repair shop and check if they are working. They would have HT receivers or SW plate amps which would have terminals to drive these speakers. If the speakers are good, then you would have to buy a DVD player and active SW which would have 5.1 amplifier (typically found in creative, mercury and other desktop HT systems). Olx would be a good starting point

Back