Sony Hx750 is LED backlit or edgelit, does it matter?

eigh

I am going to buy it but someone in forum said that Backlit LED are better , is it so? And what is about Sony HX750 of 46 inch.
Pls Tell me price in grey market.
ANywhere Mumbai, Bangalore or Chennai.

I am going to buy it but someone in forum said that Backlit LED are better , is it so? And what is about Sony HX750 of 46 inch.

Sony HX750 is a good set and it is a edge-lit. Since HX750 is a 2012 model from Sony, let me give you the context some thing related 2012 Sony models. As you know, Sony was the leader in TV manufacturing for a long time until Samsung came and dispaced it. Since then, Sony lost it's crown to Samsung Starting from 2012, Sony has come back fighting with the models like HX750 and HX850. So in that context, Sony HX750 is a very good set, no doubt about it.

When you say "backlit", I guess you refer to "full array local dimming". In that case, a backlit will be better than edge-lit, but the backlit model from Sony (HX925) is very costly. Both HX750 and HX850 are edge lit. HX850 is edge-lit, but it has employed local dimming. It offers very good black level and it is almost on par with HX925 (some reviewers have placed HX850 above HX925). Any way, HX750 is also good, but HX850 has an edge over HX750. HX750 also employs "dimming" feature for improve contrast/blak levels, but less sophisticated than HX850. On side-by-side comparison, we may not see much difference between HX750 and HX850 unless you see with eagle sharp eyes. If you compare between edge lit vs backlit (HX850 vs HX925), there won't be much difference.

For a normal viewer there will not be any much difference between even LCD & LED. Its only a back lighting part, to create illusion of deepening black levels and more over a marketing gimmick like dynamic contrast ratio.

If properly calibrated, a class 1 LCD can display a very good picture as well. Its a thin bezel which adds value to the LED looks n feel.

Obviously this is my opinion after my personal experience. Not necessarily others should agree:eek:

I appreiciate your knowlege about TVs, Now please tell me
1. About HX750, does 2d to 3d conversion is pleasant to see? is it usefull feature?
2. Same old question but in my context. LED or Plasma . I watch CNBC for rates, text and Films on set top box SD. never use dvd/BR player etc quality input.

Again comes on same square, 46in Hx750 or your suggested Panasonic models, right.
now at 70-75000 just order me where to go.

I thank u 4 your valuable time , shanmune.

1. About HX750, does 2d to 3d conversion is pleasant to see? is it usefull feature?
2. Same old question but in my context. LED or Plasma . I watch CNBC for rates, text and Films on set top box SD. never use dvd/BR player etc quality input.

Again comes on same square, 46in Hx750 or your suggested Panasonic models, right.

1. 2D to 3D conversions are not worth it on almost any TV. 3D (non-converted) itself makes for troublesome viewing for some people. It's best to take a demo at any store and see for yourself with regard to both 2D to 3D conversion as also viewing actual 3D content. Keep in mind that at present there are not too many sources of 3D beyond BD's and a few occasional shows on HD channels.

2. If you are only going to be watching SD as opposed to HD channels and content, forget LCD/Plasma etc. just stay with a good CRT. Nothing offers value for money on SD only content like a CRT.

If you can get 50UT50 from a reputed dealer along with the bill and warranty, then just go ahead for it. Let me share my personal thoughts as well. I will never go for any costly electronic equipment (like a flat pannel HD TV) without the warranty. You might have heard about the failure rates of the flat panels. For a peace of mind, better go with having 50UT50 along with the 3 year warranty. This 3 year warranty is not the extended warranty.

Hi,

Before you make the purchase, please check the functionality of 3D in these models (HX750 / HX850). I was about to purchase 40HX750 a couple of days back, but at the last moment came to know that watching it in 3D with head inclined (left / right) would make the image distorted. Checked it there itself and found it to be true. When the head is inclined even slightly, was unable to watch anything. Also there was issue with flickering, which might cause headache. So, please check on these 2 things before going for this.

Regards,
Krishna

Hi,

Before you make the purchase, please check the functionality of 3D in these models (HX750 / HX850). I was about to purchase 40HX750 a couple of days back, but at the last moment came to know that watching it in 3D with head inclined (left / right) would make the image distorted. Checked it there itself and found it to be true. When the head is inclined even slightly, was unable to watch anything. Also there was issue with flickering, which might cause headache. So, please check on these 2 things before going for this.

Regards,
Krishna

Well said krishna.
Today morning i went to samsung showroom, viewed 46in series 6 led with 2d to 3d conversion, IT Does. I found result not bad at all. previously I have seen 3d content on 51in sony Hx750. Object seen to come of tv . in converted 3d, TV gives depth means all 3d actions takes place inside tv screen. not much pleasant but more realistic. worth. though 5-10 min viewing cant help in judge, but thats what my exp. with 3d.
Yes, 3d in 40 inch is n ot that useful. at least 50inch.

Last edited:
Hi,

Regards,
Krishna

Thanks Krishna for these tips. Just a small word of caution from my side. I understand 3D is also one of the parameters to be looked for buying a TV, but that alone should not be the sole parameter to judge a TV. Most of the contents we view would be the 2D contents and less 3D. My very personal opinion is that I not a big fan of watching 3D on a TV. Of course watching 3D in big cinema theatre screens is a different case. Any way, you have still given some useful tips to judge the 3D performance of a TV.

Hi Shanmune,

You are absolutely right and 3D should not be the only parameter while evaluating the performance of a TV. I also was not willing to go for a 3D TV, as there are lot more new features coming up in the near future. But as am not going to purchase another TV for the next few years, just did not want to leave it out at this moment. So, have decided to go for it. Am planning to go for 40LM7600, as the reviews (both expert as well as user) are positive about it, though there are minor things of concern.

Regards,
Krishna

Hi Shanmune,

You are absolutely right and 3D should not be the only parameter while evaluating the performance of a TV. I also was not willing to go for a 3D TV, as there are lot more new features coming up in the near future. But as am not going to purchase another TV for the next few years, just did not want to leave it out at this moment. So, have decided to go for it. Am planning to go for 40LM7600, as the reviews (both expert as well as user) are positive about it, though there are minor things of concern.

Regards,
Krishna

A very good model indeed. All the best for your new purchase. Once you get it, you can post your review of your new set.

As someone already pointed out, you probably want to compare full array LED backlight vs edge lit backlighting. A full array backlit model should "theoretically" give a better PQ - owing to local dimming.

Sony makes many LCD/LED TV ranges at low level, mid level and upmarkey level. The HX750 belongs to the upmarket level and is the first entry level set in the series. It is an excellent set and matches the higher sibling HX850 in many respects.

A person should not be biased by edge-lit or back-lit technologies. While hunting for the TV, pay utmost attention to the following aspects and in that order only:
  1. Decide your budget and no matter what stick to it. At most allow variation by +10% only.
  2. The main function of the TV is to display picture. Select the TV whose PQ appeals to you the most. Note that in showrooms the TV picture setting is set to dynamic/vivid and this is usually too overpowering at home.
  3. Decide the size.
  4. Within the budget and below, look at as many options as possible. Herein, there will be a typical dilemma - go for higher quality/lower size or lower quality/bigger size? This is highly individualistic.
  5. Determine whether frills and fancy features such as Smart apps, 3D, Internet browsing, Motion remote, etc. are important to you. In 99% of the cases, these features which make TV costlier are rarely used.
Having said the above, the HX750 is a great TV.

Sony HX850 is also full array backlit with local dimming.

Sony HX850 is actually dynamic edge-lit. Dynamic edge-lit can manipulate LED lighting to act like a local dimming full array. So HX-850 edge-lit works very differently compared to other traditional edge-lit models. Why people rate HX850 very high is that though it is an edge-lit, it is almost quite close to any full-array local dimming models. People even say that the native contrast of HX850 panels is much better than HX925 (I am not sure how HX850 fares against the native contrast of HX950).

Sony HX850 is actually dynamic edge-lit. Dynamic edge-lit can manipulate LED lighting to act like a local dimming full array. So HX-850 edge-lit works very differently compared to other traditional edge-lit models. Why people rate HX850 very high is that though it is an edge-lit, it is almost quite close to any full-array local dimming models. People even say that the native contrast of HX850 panels is much better than HX925 (I am not sure how HX850 fares against the native contrast of HX950).

Aaaargh! :mad:

Sorry guys, I messed it up - I had HX925 in mind, and not HX850! Yes, HX850 is edge lit - with local dimming.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back