Sony HX800 Series

corElement

My family is in the market for upgrading our 20 year old 29" CRT.

I have been looking at samsungs sonys lgs phillips toshiba Panasonic

My budget is 75k

Samsungs : Not looking at them at all because of panel lottery

Lg: I looked at lots of LG's at the store and none of them seemed to have any uniformity, each model looked drastically different.

Phillips: I liked a 42" phillips but i came home and read up the image gets stuck/hangs so axed that.

Panasonic / Toshiba: The image seemed very generic =\

Sony....

I saw the EX520 series the EX720 series and neither of them impressed me greatly. Then I saw the NX520 beside a D550 non led. They were quite similar but the sammy seemed to have better colors while sony had better detail......
(Taking advice here)

PS I dont care about 3d or networking features at ALL

I don't know what it is but I didnt like ANY of them. The NX520 was "close" to what I'm looking for in terms of detail I'm looking for so put that on my list for 59000.

I came back home and read us sony's naming comvention

EX = "Economy all around range"
NX = "Extreme Aesthetics"
HX = "Focuses on Picture quality"

So I started looking up HX models and came across the 40HX800 series to be within my budget at 55k.

I looked up the 40HX800's specs and it blows away the EX520 NX520 EX720 on paper.

176/176 50hz no motion flow on ex520 edge led - 65000
176/176 Fake 200(120hz) Hz on ex720 edge led - 75000
no idea about viewing angles or edge led on nx520 but its 2010 model and I liked its picture more than both ex720 and ex520 - 59000

178/178 245 motionflow panel with "dynamic" edge led - 55000

Whats the deal here??? As a pure TV why does this HX800 from 2010 blow away the other newer ones of 2011?

The picture quality difference for me between EX and NX was quite noticible. If I take a clue from that will the HX be even superior to the NX series? If so how am I getting an HX800 for just 55k??

What am I missing? Please help.

I just want a tv with good "pure tv specs"
I dont care about net connectivity and 3d and all that stuff.
Dont have time for all that.

does anyone know how much a 46HX800 might cost?

Any other TV suggestions? Pioneer?

Last edited:
Yes the HX800 does blow away almost all 2011 TVs in the mid-range. But the thing is, you probably won't find it anywhere available for sale as it has been discontinued. If you do somehow find one, then go for it.

HX800 was the topend model of last year... Its been very much cleared out from all the stores around the world... My cousin in US bought a 55"HX800 off a clearance & its a fantastic TV... as the poster above me mentioned if u can get it for even the same price as the mid range current models go for the HX 800 :) ...

Congratulations Pal..........:clapping:

btw! is it brand new piece ? :rolleyes:

A very valid question :)... Was a sealed piece or a demo set??? If You got a sealed/non demo piece its one hell of a deal... BTW did they have another size too or maybe more pieces of the 40" HX800? It would help out a lot of the other members looking for a similar set :) ...

A very valid question :)... Was a sealed piece or a demo set??? If You got a sealed/non demo piece its one hell of a deal... BTW did they have another size too or maybe more pieces of the 40" HX800? It would help out a lot of the other members looking for a similar set :) ...

It was a brand new sony sealed and branded box,
The store was digitus electronics, they delivered it from warehouse within 2 hours after purchase.

They have a display piece 55HX800 for 1.40 lakhs at the store but no 46" hx800

No signs of tampering or previous use, seems totally untouched and works. I spent 3 hours with my brother at night wallmounting it and hooking up an onkyo ht-s3100 we had sitting packed up for use when an tv with digital out was purchased (got it at Rs 13,000 in 2010)

Here's final setup this morning.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2hmm3pi.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/23iwf86.jpg

Quite some time since some one posted on this thread.! Was searching for 55hx800 and found his. A store near my house is offering demo piece of 55hx800 for 99k. Says its been on demo for 3 months. They r not open for nego. Good deal? Getting cheated?

Quite some time since some one posted on this thread.! Was searching for 55hx800 and found his. A store near my house is offering demo piece of 55hx800 for 99k. Says its been on demo for 3 months. They r not open for nego. Good deal? Getting cheated?

Grab it with vengeance.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back