Sony HX850 40" booked

gsurya

Hello,

Finally I had to upgrade from my beloved 29" Sony Wega flat TV after more than 15 yrs of fantastic service, kept the faith & booked a Sony HX850 at EZone.

Also took the Sony 3D DVD offer with free, total came to about 89k. This includes TV, bluray DVD player, HDMI cable, 3D movie, Three 3D glasses in total.

I wanted to go for Panasonic plasma 42", but the recent reports of their Plasma division not doing well & rumors of service problems spooked me.

Other options considered were 42" LG & Samsung 6-series in the same price range, I chose the Sony model because of:

- Better online reviews & ratings
- Picture quality looked equal or better than Samsung, LG was weaker
- Samsung was giving a home theater bundle which I did not want, they wouldnt discount or replace with a bluray player
- Quite satisfied with my Sony brand purchases in the past.. TV, VCR, CD player, Handycam....

Also, Ezone had a scheme of 0 cost EMI for 14 months, which works out to almost a 10% discount over time.

Delivery is expected today, installation tomorrow, I couldnt find the checklist - would appreciate if someone could point me to it.

I am told the sound quality of the TV is pretty good, but I might augment my experience with a JBL Harman Kardon SB-16 2.1 soundbar.. anyone have any experience with it? My wife absolutely hates cables all over so I cant think of a full home theater right now.

/Surya

Hello,

Finally I had to upgrade from my beloved 29" Sony Wega flat TV after more than 15 yrs of fantastic service, kept the faith & booked a Sony HX850 at EZone.

Also took the Sony 3D DVD offer with free, total came to about 89k. This includes TV, bluray DVD player, HDMI cable, 3D movie, Three 3D glasses in total.

I wanted to go for Panasonic plasma 42", but the recent reports of their Plasma division not doing well & rumors of service problems spooked me.

Other options considered were 42" LG & Samsung 6-series in the same price range, I chose the Sony model because of:

- Better online reviews & ratings
- Picture quality looked equal or better than Samsung, LG was weaker
- Samsung was giving a home theater bundle which I did not want, they wouldnt discount or replace with a bluray player
- Quite satisfied with my Sony brand purchases in the past.. TV, VCR, CD player, Handycam....

Also, Ezone had a scheme of 0 cost EMI for 14 months, which works out to almost a 10% discount over time.

Delivery is expected today, installation tomorrow, I couldnt find the checklist - would appreciate if someone could point me to it.

I am told the sound quality of the TV is pretty good, but I might augment my experience with a JBL Harman Kardon SB-16 2.1 soundbar.. anyone have any experience with it? My wife absolutely hates cables all over so I cant think of a full home theater right now.

/Surya

Congrats !!! You have got the best LED TV.

Couple of quick things that you can check on delivery :-

1. Make sure that you have got the new item and not the demo piece. There is already a thread in this forum which gives you some guidelines on verifying that you got a new set. For example, inspect the delivery package box to see if there is any tampering etc.

2. The other confirmation that you can do is checking for the usage hours of your TV. Again, there is a thread which gives you the procedure for checking the usage hours. Other wise, HX850 owners will help you on that.

3. I would always recommend people to go for extended warranty for a complete peace of mind (even if it costs slightly more). I am not sure what extra cost one has to pay for that, but you can check with your dealer.

Firstly , let me congratulate you for buying the 40 inch stunner!:clapping:

I am delighted to hear that there still are people in India who value quality and spend more on this 40 inch , when one can get bigger tvs of lesser quality brands.

I feel that you should have atleast 8Mbps internet broadband connection, to enjoy 1080p content on youtube. A plethora of full length HD movies exist on youtube, and your display has pretty good internal scalers to display youtube content.

I think it's on this one

http://www.hifivision.com/television/6512-checklist-avoid-buying-demo-piece-lcd-plasma-tv.html

Anyway, here are a few things to check, from what I recall. If the sealing tape has been peeled off to open, it will usually take some of the cardboard with it. To check whether the box has been opened, look to see whether multiple layers of tape are applied. Sony, India does not use a hologram etc. on the packing tape at least from what I have seen.

Look for scratches on the rear and at the screw heads, threads for signs of wear. If you can, note down the serial number at the showroom or take the warranty card, which will have the serial, with you.

Here's the post on how to check usage hours:
http://www.hifivision.com/television/21623-how-check-usage-hours-sony-bravia-lcd.html

Sound quality is rather decent, but there are limits to what the small speakers on almost any flat panel can do. There are settings for the speakers to rear fire, down fire etc. depending on whether you use the stand or wallmount. There are various surround, 2ch settings also which help get you a decent sound given the source and your setup, however the limits of those tiny speakers will eventually show. Play with the settings to get the best sound you can. A soundbar or HT will definitely enhance the sound.

Firstly , let me congratulate you for buying the 40 inch stunner!:clapping:

I am delighted to hear that there still are people in India who value quality and spend more on this 40 inch , when one can get bigger tvs of lesser quality brands.

I feel that you should have atleast 8Mbps internet broadband connection, to enjoy 1080p content on youtube. A plethora of full length HD movies exist on youtube, and your display has pretty good internal scalers to display youtube content.

Thank you. 40" chosen because in our living room viewing distance is not more than 10 feet. I would hv preferred a 42" if available. Have also applied for the MTNL FTTH connection, will take a month or two for the cable to be laid.

Congrats !!! You have got the best LED TV.

Couple of quick things that you can check on delivery :-

1. Make sure that you have got the new item and not the demo piece. There is already a thread in this forum which gives you some guidelines on verifying that you got a new set. For example, inspect the delivery package box to see if there is any tampering etc.

2. The other confirmation that you can do is checking for the usage hours of your TV. Again, there is a thread which gives you the procedure for checking the usage hours. Other wise, HX850 owners will help you on that.

3. I would always recommend people to go for extended warranty for a complete peace of mind (even if it costs slightly more). I am not sure what extra cost one has to pay for that, but you can check with your dealer.

Thank you, great tips. I will check on extended warranty if available.

Hi congrats. The quality of HX850 is really amazing. Enjoy. If you need help with the settings let me know. Tc.

Congratulations. You made best decision.

I have same TV with Sony bdp-490 BD player. I must say it's awesome. Great PQ. For good loud sound, you need an AVR or soundbar.

I had a Vega too (21 inch).

For TV, Sony is the best brand.

I have same TV with Sony bdp-490 BD player. I must say it's awesome. Great PQ. For good loud sound, you need an AVR or soundbar. I had a Vega too (21 inch).

Nice coincidence! Can the Tata Sky connection be routed through Sony BDP-490 player? Does that give better picture quality on the non-HD channels, or is it better to go direct to the TV?

I am also in 2 minds whether to go with Tata Sky HD or HD+ with recording - leaning towards the latter.

Can the Tata Sky connection be routed through Sony BDP-490 player? Does that give better picture quality on the non-HD channels, or is it better to go direct to the TV? I am also in 2 minds whether to go with Tata Sky HD or HD+ with recording - leaning towards the latter.

Just found out that Sony BDP-490 has no IN ports at all.. which means it cannot process/route any external sources. Will have to look for an AV HD receiver who can do this.

Congrats !! a great TV also seems the deal is fair.. enjoy the same with input from Tata-sky and S490..

Nice coincidence! Can the Tata Sky connection be routed through Sony BDP-490 player? Does that give better picture quality on the non-HD channels, or is it better to go direct to the TV?

I am also in 2 minds whether to go with Tata Sky HD or HD+ with recording - leaning towards the latter.

Sony bdp doesn't have HDMI input to route HDMI through it. Don't think you can use it for TV. But it does a great job in dvd picture upscaling. Also plays mkv and xvid files with great Upscaling.

I am using dish tv hd dth (with recording) . I think it's bad decision. As videocon hd is giving more hd channels.

NOT a great beginning to my Sony HX 850 journey I am afraid, the TV set delivered was defective! Green screened right at start.. however Sony technician immediately called it in to dealer & Sony as defective piece & apologized.

Sony is sending a replacement tomorrow so hope that goes well, but somewhat feel let down by this start.

NOT a great beginning to my Sony HX 850 journey I am afraid, the TV set delivered was defective! Green screened right at start.. however Sony technician immediately called it in to dealer & Sony as defective piece & apologized.

Sony is sending a replacement tomorrow so hope that goes well, but somewhat feel let down by this start.

Your let-down is understandable.

But you'll 'get-up' tomorrow when you get new piece. :)

At least it is good to know that you are getting a new replacement without going through an delay. Hope you went for extended warranty ... :cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back