Sony or Samsung 4K TV

zangetsu

I am buying a new 4K TV and shortlisted two models after so much research.

1. Sony X950G 55"
2. Samsung Q80R 55"

Now, I am in a dilemma which one to buy ? both have their pros and cons.

Sony: Dolby Vision, Accurate Colors, eARC, Excellent Motion, SD upscaling

Samsung: Deep Blacks, Less Blooming in Dark room, VRR, Better viewing Angles

Your valuable suggestion is much appreciated :)

I had to choose between those 2 models, and ended up going for the Sony for its superior shadow detail (low black crushing), and motion handling.

Last edited:
My dad recently bought Sony X8500G and it looks amazing. I am not sure what is the difference between 950G and X8500G, but I am sure Sony would be a better choice here.

I am buying a new 4K TV and shortlisted two models after so much research.

1. Sony X950G 55"
2. Samsung Q80R 55"

Now, I am in a dilemma which one to buy ? both have their pros and cons.

Sony: Dolby Vision, Accurate Colors, eARC, Excellent Motion, SD upscaling

Samsung: Deep Blacks, Less Blooming in Dark room, VRR, Better viewing Angles

Your valuable suggestion is much appreciated :)
I think it ultimately depends on viewing habits. You can compare them on rtings. Q80R wud be best in home theater purpose with good quality source. In all other cases Sony wins

950G is much superior to 8500g as per the reviews (rtings.com)

Thanks! I never knew about this website :)

Looks like samsung is a winner according to them

Buy Sony.few people including me don't like Samsung picture quality . Some high end TV's show grass colour as neon green due to picture processor

If viewing angle is not an issue then you can go with X950g.

Personally had a poor experience with Samsung frame tv. Then I decided to go with X950g or C9, but during demo in different showrooms, I had to drop X950g from the list due to viewing angle issue :(. And Q80R replaced in my list. I.e. Q80R vs C9.

Finally i choose C9 only, but Q80R is definitely not bad at all... Q80R(115K) was cheaper by 15K compared to C9(130K), so it was tough for me to discard Q80R.

Based on my experience, Q80R is definitely lot better than Q60(i assume frame tv based on this) and Q70 series.

Since you are looking for 55 inch, my suggestion would be Q80R as X950g has slightly washed out colors from sideways. I'm not sure why Sony hasn't added wide angle feature in the 55 inch model, but added to 65 inch and higher models.

I picked up Sony last week. Felt Samsung was too aggressive in processing and trying to retain black. But I already have a Sony and was little biased.

Also do note that the Sony x950g is one of the best out of the box calibrated TVs so you don’t have to fiddle with any settings.

I too have narrowed down my search for 75" sets to the same models. Sadly, Samsung have not brought in their RU8000 series and since the QR 60 is not true QLED and there is no 75" in the QLED 70 series, I was forced to consider the QR80. However the there is a substantial price difference of almost 70K between the two models. SONY being the more reasonably priced.

I picked up the sony x950g over the samsung for my living room. Motion handling at 24fps is just too good, something I felt samsung struggled with especially during fast paced scenes. It also gets wayy brighter for hdr content. I work in graphics and watching colors on the sony after working on pro-calibrated displays at work is really pleasing.

That being said the one and only issue I have is the blooming in letterboxed content. Sometimes it just bleeds over the black bars, noticeable in a dark room condition.

Thank you Guys! for your valuable inputs.

Viewing angle is not an issue for me. My major priority is picture quality which should be life-like and not over saturated.

amazon.in has a higher price tag for Sony, and I can see the lowest price is available at tatacliq & paytm.

Is online buying a good option than offline ? there won't be any issue in warranty when bought online ?

Thank you Guys! for your valuable inputs.

Viewing angle is not an issue for me. My major priority is picture quality which should be life-like and not over saturated.

amazon.in has a higher price tag for Sony, and I can see the lowest price is available at tatacliq & paytm.

Is online buying a good option than offline ? there won't be any issue in warranty when bought online ?

I actually found it for way less offline. Especially with the current festival season you can snag a good deal by negotiating with them:

I picked up the sony x950g over the samsung for my living room. Motion handling at 24fps is just too good, something I felt samsung struggled with especially during fast paced scenes. It also gets wayy brighter for hdr content. I work in graphics and watching colors on the sony after working on pro-calibrated displays at work is really pleasing.

That being said the one and only issue I have is the blooming in letterboxed content. Sometimes it just bleeds over the black bars, noticeable in a dark room condition.
Yeah, I know blooming is an issue in Sony and this is where Samsung exceled by lowering the shadow detail which results in less blooming.
But I won't be watching the TV in dark environment. :)

Thanks! I never knew about this website :)

Looks like samsung is a winner according to them
Yeah, saw that review...also watched the HDTVTest videos from Vincent, and that guy is one the best professional calibrator & reviewer in youtube.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back