SONY SS-NA2ES Speakers $10,000. Worth?

IMHO, their is a limit to what an ear can perceive. Eventually after a period of 3 Months - 6 Months, most of the speakers sound the same. I would believe, that there is not extraordinary crisp clarity than can come from a $10,000 Speakers, that can not come for good floorstanders from brands like Klipsch, Jamo etc. I auditioned the RF-82II from Klipsch recently and found them to be amazing. Came back home, tried to tweak a lot of settings on my system(Onkyo-3400), and could feel 90% of the sound at 1/3rd the price. Speakers like this might give you a sound or two extra, but are seriously not worth the steep price. You might not sit at home all day just to listen to music on your $10000 system, but rather want a great bang for your buck.
Also, surprisingly Sony should not make such a steep offering. They have some great sounding systems. But all their systems(>Rs.20000) are nothing in front of the competitors.

I agree, I think spending $10,000 for speakers (these) is just for self satisfaction and thinking that I have spent lot of money on speakers and they sounds good (may be in reality they sound like $1,000 speakers). Ultimately money has been spent :D and have to satisfied with it :D

IMHO, their is a limit to what an ear can perceive. Eventually after a period of 3 Months - 6 Months, most of the speakers sound the same. I would believe, that there is not extraordinary crisp clarity than can come from a $10,000 Speakers, that can not come for good floorstanders from brands like Klipsch, Jamo etc. I auditioned the RF-82II from Klipsch recently and found them to be amazing. Came back home, tried to tweak a lot of settings on my system(Onkyo-3400), and could feel 90% of the sound at 1/3rd the price. Speakers like this might give you a sound or two extra, but are seriously not worth the steep price. You might not sit at home all day just to listen to music on your $10000 system, but rather want a great bang for your buck.
Also, surprisingly Sony should not make such a steep offering. They have some great sounding systems. But all their systems(>Rs.20000) are nothing in front of the competitors.

Sony Premium Home Entertainment - SCD-XA5400ES

This may be a 'serious' machine.
I have not heard it - but the older ES Series products that I have auditioned - were rather serious.
Sony SS-AR1 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

The Speaker that you talk about, I have not auditioned - so I shall not comment;
However, its pre-decessor I had listened to & was mighty impressed with it.
The only 'downer' was the 'brand recognition'
No one will pay this kind of money for a Sony Product - Just like the Maruti Car - great product - no one appreciates it;;
Kizashi

The main thing is that corporations like Pioneer / Sony etc have 'huge' resources @ their disposal, so they can hire the best minds & have products developed - SOTA in all probability & can 'test' them in superb environments etc.

$27,000 SS-AR1 Sony Speakers Demo, Salon Son et Image, Montreal, 25 March 2012 - YouTube

:D

The small point that crossed my mind was that most individuals listen to a product with 'pre-conceived' notions;
How it Looks ?
How it is Built ?
etc. etc.
The name of the game is to listen / audition the product without for what it is - regardless of brand / pedigree / reviews etc.
Listen & let your ears & then your mind & heart tell you what the product is all about....
That way, all will move up the 'audio ladder' & we shall be in a position to appreciate the finer things in life before we get syntactical about it;;;
Just my 2 cents;

Very well said :)

The small point that crossed my mind was that most individuals listen to a product with 'pre-conceived' notions;
How it Looks ?
How it is Built ?
etc. etc.
The name of the game is to listen / audition the product without for what it is - regardless of brand / pedigree / reviews etc.
Listen & let your ears & then your mind & heart tell you what the product is all about....
That way, all will move up the 'audio ladder' & we shall be in a position to appreciate the finer things in life before we get syntactical about it;;;
Just my 2 cents;

I agree with Bhagwan, completely. Unfortunately marketing creates perceived notions...

Anyways, I really dont know what all this fuss is about for Rs 5.5 Lakh speakers. IMHO this is not an Over-The-Top price point for Serious speakers. If someone wants to put together a fairly Good system, a budget outlay of Rs 10 Lakhs ( Similar to what needs to be spent for a Value For Money mid sized car ) is a reasonably starting point.

IMHO there is no point in budget users getting hot under the collar, to hear prices for stuff that they really do not even aspire to...

To each heir own.

I agree with Bhagwan, completely. Unfortunately marketing creates perceived notions...

Anyways, I really dont know what all this fuss is about for Rs 5.5 Lakh speakers. IMHO this is not an Over-The-Top price point for Serious speakers.

To each heir own.

Yes;
5.5 Lac for a speaker is OK.
Things like this may be a 'bit over the top' - The Audio Beat - Tidal Sunray Loudspeakers
But, as you rightly put it - to each his own...:cool:

Tidal Sunray Loudspeakers - Price: $154,990 per pair (83 Lacs approx)

General Calculation
If we compare the sound between 1 or 2 Lac speakers and 83 Lac Speakers, Do you think the difference in sound quality will be 80 times or 40 times better? :mad:

IMHO NO :mad:

Yes;
5.5 Lac for a speaker is OK.
Things like this may be a 'bit over the top' - The Audio Beat - Tidal Sunray Loudspeakers
But, as you rightly put it - to each his own...:cool:

Prepress, I believe you are missing the point. For a lot of audiophiles it is not all about value for money. One is not looking for proportionate difference in quality, but absolute improvement. I can assure you that the price is probably just the starting point for some great sounding high-end speakers. I do believe each one has its own level of comfort, but unless you have heard enough speakers above $10,000 in enough systems that allow for comparisons to be made, it is perhaps a little inexperienced to offer an opinion on such components. Sony's high end speakers have had great reviews from many persons you have the appropriate experience.

By the way, a lot of high-end speakers do not offer bi-wiring.

Last edited:
I understand, but IMHO we should make a good budget (2 Lac or 10 Lac, depends on pocket), after spending the big amount in lacs if we spend more multiple lacs.... we can't get MAJOR (YES MAJOR) improvement in sound.

Prepress, I believe you are missing the point. For a lot of audiophiles it is not all about value for money. One is not looking for proportionate difference in quality, but absolute improvement. I can assure you that the price is probably just the starting point for some great sounding high-end speakers. I do believe each one has its own level of comfort, but unless you have heard enough speakers above $10,000 in enough systems that allow for comparisons to be made, it is perhaps a little inexperienced to offer an opinion on such components. Sony's high end speakers have had great reviews from many persons you have the appropriate experience.

By the way, a lot of high-end speakers do not offer bi-wiring.

I understand, but IMHO we should make a good budget (2 Lac or 10 Lac, depends on pocket), after spending the big amount in lacs if we spend more multiple lacs.... we can't get MAJOR (YES MAJOR) improvement in sound.

Absolutely right about the diminishing returns .... it has never mattered for me and a lot of audiophiles that I tend to speak with about high-end audio. Budgets are flexible...as are systems. One year (in 30 years of changing components) I could afford just a small room tweak and another year I would spend my entire bonus on an amplifier! Once you get the bug, it never stops.

You seem to have far more discipline than I could ever have :)

All of you people would have to agree on a very simple notion that a system costing Rs.1,00,000 and a system costing Rs. 1,00,00,000 would not have 100 times of a difference as commanded by the price. People need change, and ultimately you would change your system now or then. My Piece of Advise/Suggestion/Argument : Money is Hard-Earned and should be respected. A passion for audio is different as to spending a fortune on it. You would have a job , you would work 5 days a week, so the only time you would listen to music on these speakers at a max would be 5 Hours, which would reduce with time.
IMHO, Its a waste of Money, Time and Your Hardwork to earn that Money which you would spend on a > Rs 1,00,000 Speaker.

Tidal Sunray Loudspeakers -
General Calculation
If we compare the sound between 1 or 2 Lac speakers and 83 Lac Speakers, Do you think the difference in sound quality will be 80 times or 40 times better?

Sir,

2 things;

a]
Has the Tidal Sunray been 'Auditioned' ?

b]
How does one define '80 times' or '40 times' ?

I am of the general opinion, if a person needs [requires] an improvement in performance of his audio set up - the cost after a certain stage goes up in a logarithmic scale - it is not linear;;

It is like a Maruti Alto @ Rs. 3.5 Lacs & a RR Phantom @ 4 CR.
The price is 100 times higher - so is the RR going to go 100 times faster ? If we can measure the performance in objective terms...
Maybe I cannot articulate what I have in my mind in a correct manner - but the gist of it is - for an increase in quality / performance - beyond a certain stage - the price does go up 'substantially' !!
:eek:

These speakers are well designed, great drivers and have great glossy, luxurious look (represents more lifestyle) but these are not bi wireable speakers. Why?

Respected Sir,
Can you shed some light on your query ?
WHat has Bi - Wire got to do with the performance of a Loudspeaker ?
If a speaker is single wire is it inferior ?
Alternately it it is Tri Wire is it better ?

Just to understand if a speaker has things like this @ the back - does it make it 'better' ??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
:eek:hyeah:

If you are asking these questions to me, that doesn't makes sense as you are senior member here and you know what I am asking.

I asked because if any speaker is very costly they can/should add bi-wiring feature. That is different thing each brand/company has its own policies and designs/preferences.

Respected Sir,
Can you shed some light on your query ?
WHat has Bi - Wire got to do with the performance of a Loudspeaker ?
If a speaker is single wire is it inferior ?
Alternately it it is Tri Wire is it better ?

Just to understand if a speaker has things like this @ the back - does it make it 'better' ??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
:eek:hyeah:

The concern for this thread was just to ask it is worth at this price or not? or Should we spend a huge money (5.5 Lac or 83 Lac) on these speakers?
That is different thing if anybody blessed financially and he spends on these gems. But as a Mango Man :D I/We should make wise decision.
Please note: These are just my personal opinions, so no hate please.

Money is Hard-Earned and should be respected. A passion for audio is different as to spending a fortune on it. You would have a job , you would work 5 days a week, so the only time you would listen to music on these speakers at a max would be 5 Hours, which would reduce with time.
IMHO, Its a waste of Money, Time and Your Hardwork to earn that Money which you would spend on a > Rs 1,00,000 Speaker.

SONY SS-NA2ES Speakers $10,000. Worth?

To answer this question Objectively, IHMO the correct question to ask is can I get the Same or better sound for less ?

If you have another product for a lower price, that delivers what You perceive in this speaker, then this speaker is over priced.

If you cannot find another lower priced product delivering what YOU PRIORITISE or Listen to in your music / system, then you have no other option but to consider paying the asking price.

Last edited:
If you are asking these questions to me, that doesn't makes sense as you are senior member here and you know what I am asking.

I asked because if any speaker is very costly they can/should add bi-wiring feature. That is different thing each brand/company has its own policies and designs/preferences.

Sir,
Few things;
a]
If I knew what you were asking for - i.e. I understood the question, trust me - I would try to answer it to the best of my abilities...
b]
If a speaker is 'costly' [relative - I know] why should it have Bi Wire Option ?

I know of 'several' brands of loudspeaker that may cost 50/- K US $'s ++ that do not offer Bi-Wire Options !!
Kaiser Acoustics / Wilson Audio / Magico / YG Acoustics / Dynaudio etc. etc.

On the other hand there are other brands that do offer Bi-Wire as an option - it all just boils down to how the loudspeakers designer has designed & executed the design - so I interpret it - kindly correct me if others feel otherwise. Thanks,

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back