Sony STR-DN1080

noel shaju

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with Sony STR-DN1080? I am planning to get one after reading through the great reviews online and for all its features. I am planning to use it with Jamo C97 fronts, Jamo C 9 center, JBL areana 120 rear and a wharfedale sw 150 Subwoofer.

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with Sony STR-DN1080? I am planning to get one after reading through the great reviews online and for all its features. I am planning to use it with Jamo C97 fronts, Jamo C 9 center, JBL areana 120 rear and a wharfedale sw 150 Subwoofer.

Not many Sony user in the forum due to its non aval in India.. How much is Sony 1080?..

Great, I think it will blend well with the Jamos....you can create a Sony AVR owners thread and get it going...all Sony existing owners will share their feedback and experience....post pics too....this will also help future new members to decide if they get confused between AVR brands....

From what I read over Audioholics and CNET....it seems to be a promising AVR with stellar performance.....

But Sony Avr is available for only 110V you definitely need a step down transformer.
In the long run its going to be harmful and higher chances of breakdown.

But Sony Avr is available for only 110V you definitely need a step down transformer.
In the long run its going to be harmful and higher chances of breakdown.

I am getting it from Germany, and everywhere in EU you get 220~240 volts products (Amazon.de,Amazon.es.Amazon.fr,Amazon.co.uk etc) , only products from US would be 110v.

Great, I think it will blend well with the Jamos....you can create a Sony AVR owners thread and get it going...all Sony existing owners will share their feedback and experience....post pics too....this will also help future new members to decide if they get confused between AVR brands....

From what I read over Audioholics and CNET....it seems to be a promising AVR with stellar performance.....

Sure , I am hoping for it to blend well because my denon(PMA 720 AE) + jamo produces a lazy sound , don't get me wrong the sound is punchy but it isn't expressive. Pioneer( elite A-20) was better paired with Jamo but it was too under-powered. Let see what sony does with these speakers. Im getting sony assuming it has enough juice to drive these speakers and has that slightly bright signature to blend with Jamos.

Sure , I am hoping for it to blend well because my denon(PMA 720 AE) + jamo produces a lazy sound , don't get me wrong the sound is punchy but it isn't expressive. Pioneer( elite A-20) was better paired with Jamo but it was too under-powered. Let see what sony does with these speakers. Im getting sony assuming it has enough juice to drive these speakers and has that slightly bright signature to blend with Jamos.

Jamos seem to blend well with Marantz and Yamaha AVRs...

Jamos seem to blend well with Marantz and Yamaha AVRs...
From my experience I felt marantz was warm and mellow, similar to denon . But Denon was a bit more harsh. Pioneer was good. Yamaha sounded similar to pioneer but with more emphasis on high and low ends, which I didn't find pleasing. All these are my experience with entry or mid level receivers.

You from Kerala?
Yes originally , but now I'm in Ireland.

I have finally had some time to connect the Sony to the speakers. My initial impressions are , the receiver looks OK not great , there are loads and loads of features inbuilt. The remote is simple not as detailed or complex as other AVR's. Now coming to the sound , i expected the sound to be very bright , but its not, its warmer but not as a denon or marantz. The power output is clean , i tried to turn up volume to maximum , yet there was zero distortion(Budget receivers with clean output at full volume is something amazing) from the Jamos but the JBLs and wharfedale sub gave up at 85% of the volume. When i had earlier tried the same thing with denon the power output was not clean. above 75% there was distortion. Another thing is that the sound is very clear , i dont know how to put it. The higs mids and lows are well defined yet blends. The denon had overlap but some people prefer it when high mids and lows overlap to an extend. For music i found the voice to float above the mids and lows , obviously the Jamo too has similar characteristic of good mids, so listening to good vocals are a delight. The bass is very tight , in the denon i could hear bass straight away when i listen to something but with sony its different you might feel there is no bass , but actually the bass is highly controlled and tight which i like. So basically when i compared the denon and sony i found denon to be more natural and warm with heavy bass but sony was more precise and tight (It was expected as Sony is digital and denon is analog amplifier). Soon will post more pictures and detailed review.

I too own a SONY AVR STR DN1050 bought it in 2015 and still it is running without any issues. I have connect polk audio speakers with the amp. Yes Ofcourse it is a nice sounding amp but with my polk speakers I found it very bright to me

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back