Sony TV purchase confusion-Need help

X man

Hi,

My existing Sony LCD TV (40 inch 2007 model) has conked off.. it seems there a short in the circuit board, but Sony service centre guys are saying entire panel needs to be changed and it costs a whopping ridiculous 54K!!! ( the panel was replaced 2 years back for 25k)..

Does any one have any idea, on how much these panels replacement cost... (as I dont trust these franchisee service centres).

So am now forced to consider a new purchase. Wanted to go for a bigger TV (48-50 inch) as I hoped to get a better immersive experience ( have a HT and watch movies) but am confused.

- I was told 48 inch would be too large considering my viewing distance -9.5-10 feet.

- 48 inch TV costs around 79000 (X reality), but the new Triluminous model W950 43inch costs the same and is supposed to have great picture quality as per some reviews.

-50 inch Triluminous model is beyond my budget as it costs ~Rs1.25plus.

- 4K model, Triluminous (43inch) is available for ~Rs92K.

Am confused as to whether a) I should stick to 43 inch given my viewing distance (what are the issues); b) whether it makes sense to go for a 48 inch Xreality model or opt for 43 inch Triluminous model.

Any suggestions/ inputs would be very valuable.

Thanks

Hi X man,

First things first, try to get your conked out TV fixed through an "un-authorized" service centre, since the official service centre has given you a push. You are in Mumbai, and I sure Mumbai FMs will easily advice you about this.

Second, why are you only sticking to Sony? Not that they are bad, but now a days you have so many options and are spoiled for choice, so PLEASE look around. You might get a better featured, larger size TV for a lesser price from other brands.

The older Sony from 2007 may have lesser features, but may represent a quality of construction not present in newer TVs, so first try to get it fixed to use as a secondary TV. This is common among all brands, not just Sony.

- I was told 48 inch would be too large considering my viewing distance -9.5-10 feet.

No, who ever has given you that info has given you absolute BS my friend.
You can watch a Full HD display from 5 feet onwards.

At 10 feet, you watch 65 to 70 Inch display.

Hi,

My existing Sony LCD TV (40 inch 2007 model) has conked off.. it seems there a short in the circuit board, but Sony service centre guys are saying entire panel needs to be changed and it costs a whopping ridiculous 54K!!! ( the panel was replaced 2 years back for 25k)..

Does any one have any idea, on how much these panels replacement cost... (as I dont trust these franchisee service centres).

So am now forced to consider a new purchase. Wanted to go for a bigger TV (48-50 inch) as I hoped to get a better immersive experience ( have a HT and watch movies) but am confused.

- 48 inch TV costs around 79000 (X reality), but the new Triluminous model W950 43inch costs the same and is supposed to have great picture quality as per some reviews.

-50 inch Triluminous model is beyond my budget as it costs ~Rs1.25plus.

- 4K model, Triluminous (43inch) is available for ~Rs92K.

Am confused as to whether a) I should stick to 43 inch given my viewing distance (what are the issues); b) whether it makes sense to go for a 48 inch Xreality model or opt for 43 inch Triluminous model.

Any suggestions/ inputs would be very valuable.

Thanks

I would say go for the biggest screen size that you can afford. and the viewing distance you mentioned is quite a bit , so you could even buy a 55 inch if it was in your budget.

2 suggestions from my side

1. With your viewing distance I think you should look at a 55" TV at the least. You don't want to regret on the size front a year down the line. Even 60" would work for you. FYI my viewing distance is about 11-12 feet and I plan to move from my current 47" TV to a 65" TV
2. Go for a Full HD OLED TV. I know they cost an arm and a leg (plus some), but, they are fabulous. If despite your best efforts you cannot muster the money, hang on as I expect OLED TV prices to fall considering more brands will be launching in 2016 (till now it was just LG) and the production efficiency of OLED panel suppliers is steadily improving

Cheers

Have you considered getting a Projector? I am in a similar boat as you and still deciding between a BIG TV and a Projector.

Thanks for your responses.. Very useful. Firstly, can my conked out tv be fixed thru other service centres... if so, any one knows any good guys in Mumbai.... Would like to fix this and use it as a secondary TV at least as Vinod suggested. (hate to see it becoming a scrap just coz a circuit has got short/while panel is still ok)

On TV size...a guy at a Sony shop in Delhi gave me the advice... but as you guys suggested.. would look for a bigger TV.... if 9 feet works. So now the question of budget...The trade off is Triluminous vs screen... Is OLED significantly better ?

50 inch Triluminous.. looks beyond my budget for now (though it looks tempting nevertheless).. and esp with TVs conking off (had spent 35k in 5 years on my Sony TV including panel change once) so soon (unlike good old days).. am once bitten twice shy in investing so much...just in case..

Thanks for your responses.. Very useful. Firstly, can my conked out tv be fixed thru other service centres... if so, any one knows any good guys in Mumbai.... Would like to fix this and use it as a secondary TV at least as Vinod suggested. (hate to see it becoming a scrap just coz a circuit has got short/while panel is still ok)

On TV size...a guy at a Sony shop in Delhi gave me the advice... but as you guys suggested.. would look for a bigger TV.... if 9 feet works. So now the question of budget...The trade off is Triluminous vs screen... Is OLED significantly better ?

50 inch Triluminous.. looks beyond my budget for now (though it looks tempting nevertheless).. and esp with TVs conking off (had spent 35k in 5 years on my Sony TV including panel change once) so soon (unlike good old days).. am once bitten twice shy in investing so much...just in case..

Tell me what your budget is and maybe i can help you out with some suggestions, and tell me what brand you prefer. Also , give a few details about the kind of lighting in your room.

Last edited:
Have you considered getting a Projector? I am in a similar boat as you and still deciding between a BIG TV and a Projector.

You can not simply replace to a projector for daily watching TV. Both have different viewing ambient requirements and practically different league functionality.

Thanks Arjun...Agree projector is not a viable option ...for daily tv watching...The Tv is in my living room. where I have my HT and audio system.. sitting distance to TV screen is ~9.5feet ...Budget is ~70-80k..max +/- a few thousand....Prefer a larger screen but wondering trade off vs, the new display technologies..(quantum dot, OLED)..Have always owned Sony since CRT days.. that remains my preference, but wouldnt mind considering other names Samsung/LG if good...

Also am looking for suggestions/contact details of any non Sony service guy who could fix my LCD TV at a lower cost..so that I could use it in some other room.

Go for Sony W Series from grey market. You should get a 50" within your budget. Of course this means no warranty. I have used 3 Sony LCD TVs (grey market) over 8 years and not had a single issue with any of them! The price difference in grey market is so huge that you don't mind to take a risk for paying some thousands in repair, that is if you are so unlucky :)

Thanks Arjun...Agree projector is not a viable option ...for daily tv watching...The Tv is in my living room. where I have my HT and audio system.. sitting distance to TV screen is ~9.5feet ...Budget is ~70-80k..max +/- a few thousand....Prefer a larger screen but wondering trade off vs, the new display technologies..(quantum dot, OLED)..Have always owned Sony since CRT days.. that remains my preference, but wouldnt mind considering other names Samsung/LG if good...

Also am looking for suggestions/contact details of any non Sony service guy who could fix my LCD TV at a lower cost..so that I could use it in some other room.

Ok , firstly with your budget you cannot even think of an OLED Tv, the best OLED tv is currently made by LG and i think that costs about 2 Lakh. Secondly, you should go for a minimum screen size of about 50 Inches for that viewing distance.

I have 2 suggestions for you which fall in your price range,
Samsung 48H6400 and
Sony 50w800b

These are both last years models so you will have to make a few phone calls with the relevant dealers and tell them that you want these specific models. I myself just bought the Sony 50w800b and i love the picture quality on it.

If you really really want a triluminous tv , then check out the Sony 50w900b, but IMO the w800b is better. Checkout out reliance digital's online website. both the sony tvs are available on that , and you can bargain for price with them quite a bit to get it down to your budget range.

Ok , firstly with your budget you cannot even think of an OLED Tv, the best OLED tv is currently made by LG and i think that costs about 2 Lakh. Secondly, you should go for a minimum screen size of about 50 Inches for that viewing distance.

I have 2 suggestions for you which fall in your price range,
Samsung 48H6400 and
Sony 50w800b

These are both last years models so you will have to make a few phone calls with the relevant dealers and tell them that you want these specific models. I myself just bought the Sony 50w800b and i love the picture quality on it.

If you really really want a triluminous tv , then check out the Sony 50w900b, but IMO the w800b is better. Checkout out reliance digital's online website. both the sony tvs are available on that , and you can bargain for price with them quite a bit to get it down to your budget range.

Not the Triluminous of 900 B series Cos they were IPS panels. Correct me if am wrong. Your 800 B is VA which has excellent 2D picture quality.

Not the Triluminous of 900 B series Cos they were IPS panels. Correct me if am wrong. Your 800 B is VA which has excellent 2D picture quality.

No no you are right , the 900b is an IPS panel , but that's why i said if he " really really wants a triluminous display " then that's the tv he can buy , which comes in his budget too...

The 800b does have great 2d picture quality, 3d is quite lame though , my 3d glasses are just lying around , what a waste.

I never recommend to any person to buy Sony LED TV or Sony Phone as I have bad experience with aforesaid product.
I purchased Sony Bravia KDL 32NX650 in Nov., 2011(Rs.46000 or something) it was good in the warranty period but in Dec., 2015 the double image display was occurring. I contacted Sony Service centre and one person came to my home and without opening the TV or anything (only viewing picture i.e. double image) he engineer said your(Sony TV) panel has expired it's life and damaged, it needs replacing. The cost is around Rs.15000/-. If Sony(world famous compaly) LED panel damaged after 4-5 why should people purchase Sony TV within a gap of 4-5 years?
Same experience with my Sony Xperia Ray, the LED screen become faulty after 1.5 years i.e. expiry of warranty period.

Yes, OLED is significantly better than LED, especially when it comes to blacks, they are really " inky blacks", I have seen it first hand at a Croma store

Check it out for yourself .. Trust ONLY your eyes :eek:hyeah:

If it were to chose between Sony 43 W950 and W 48 W700, which would you recommend.. 50 inch W 950 triluminous cost 1.29L - beyond my budget.

43 inch Triluminous and 48 inch X reality at same price..82000...? Should I go for size.. 48 inch or go for smaller TV with Triluminous....?

If it were to chose between Sony 43 W950 and W 48 W700, which would you recommend.. 50 inch W 950 triluminous cost 1.29L - beyond my budget.

43 inch Triluminous and 48 inch X reality at same price..82000...? Should I go for size.. 48 inch or go for smaller TV with Triluminous....?

My opinion would be to go for the 48 inch tv.

I am going to buy 40 (101.6cm) W700C BRAVIA Internet LED backlight TV this week.

It's 62K MRP in Blore, i am getting for 55K, on top of that i will add extended 3 years warranty from Bajaj finserv it will cost me around 6.5K.

My bedroom size is 8 feet by 10 feet,

so my viewing distance is around 8 feet.

Last edited:
I am going to buy 40 (101.6cm) W700C BRAVIA Internet LED backlight TV this week.

It's 62K MRP in Blore, i am getting for 55K, on top of that i will add extended 3 years warranty from Bajaj finserv it will cost me around 6.5K.

My bedroom size is 8 feet by 10 feet,

so my viewing distance is around 8 feet.
I am also planning to buy in bangalore? please send me the phone and place you purchased. How is your experiance so far? i am confused with LG4K model 40UF670T

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back