SOS : URGENT HELP - DENON DP300F - URGENT !

deepakjeswal

Hi Friends,

I purchased a Denon DP300F Turntable via Amazon and it arrived on Wednesday. I replaced the standard issue cartridge with an Ortofon 2M Red. The turntable worked fine till Saturday evening, and I switched it off as usual and slept. I am using the built in phono Pre-amp.

On waking on Sunday, it suddenly developed strange problem:

a). One channel stopped working i.e. no sound coming out of one channel
b). As soon as the tone arm goes over the platter, there is a huge buzz / hum from all channels, including the sub-woofer. This is there if I simply rotate the platter now.

Things I have already checked:

1. My amp (also, a Denon) is fine. I checked with other sources - both channels are working there
2. I swapped the cables to the amp (red/white swap), and the sound went on to the other channel. (i.e. first it was coming only from left, and on swap, only from right).
3. I moved the Turntable away from the usual place and plugged it in another socket - same two issue persists.
4. I changed back the cartridge to the original one (though I really doubted that was the issue) - and goodness, what a tough exercise that is! Same two above issues continue
5. I switched off the built in preamp switch in the turntable - the sound obviously was low - but again it was coming from one channel only. And the above two issues continue.

I don't know if the two above listed issues are interlinked but I guess so since they developed together. Even now, if I remove the headshell and just hover the tonearm over the platter, and as soon as it starts to rotate, the loud hum / buzz / subwoofer starts off. I just have to mildly rotate the platter manually and the buzz / hum is there.

I am at my wits end, and I have read all I could but can't find any solution other than that the Denon has gone wrong. Since the audio cables are fixed in Denon inside the machine, I can't change the Red/White wires to check.

Is there any help?
Is there any decent service centre in Mumbai where I can consult on this?? ( Google throws me up a Denon Centre in Kandivali / Santa Cruz, but I am not sure if they will know about Turntables).

I am in a fix, I am sad and angry and really don't know what to do - I had bought this after using the ultra-basic Denon 200USB for 10 Years. Never thought a Denon will go kaput so soon ( I also have two Denon amplifiers working superb, so my trust on the brand is good).

PLEASE HELP me with a contact who can actually repair and set this right.

Were are you based ? It could be due to a break in earth wire or link in the tonearm or connectors I feel. You have to check earth wire connectivity to the amp or body of the turntable

Were are you based ? It could be due to a break in earth wire or link in the tonearm or connectors I feel. You have to check earth wire connectivity to the amp or body of the turntable

I am in Andheri West, Mumbai.

Not sure about the earth wire. There are only two wires coming out of the body of the player - one for audio (the red/white ones) and the power cable.

I suspect there is some internal arm tube cable damage.

Instead of breaking your head over this problem, return it to Amazon. Don't they have purchase protection for a certain number of days?

I suspect there is some internal arm tube cable damage.

Instead of breaking your head over this problem, return it to Amazon. Don't they have purchase protection for a certain number of days?

Hmm, yes I guess that's the way out. They do have a return policy.
Have just now applied for it. Their guy will come to pick it up tomorrow.
Will have to repack it back. Thankfully, I had kept the box!

Since both cartridge show same one channel gone issue, You try to bypass the built in internal phono preamp of your turntable & by directly connectine turntable output to external phono preamp & see if both channel works.. You can use multimeter to check both channel of your arm wire is working or not by checking wires connectivity..

You said as you hover tonearm over platter the hum/buzz comes from all channels. Plz confirm that the buzz comes from channel not workkng also. If yes, then the phono preamp capacitor/opamp/transistor may have got faulty which needa to be checked. Its a silly day to day problem arising while using turntables..

You said as you hover tonearm over platter the hum/buzz comes from all channels. Plz confirm that the buzz comes from channel not workkng also. If yes, then the phono preamp capacitor/opamp/transistor may have got faulty which needa to be checked. Its a silly day to day problem arising while using turntables..

Yes. The hum comes from all channels (both speakers and subwoofer)

If the issue has arisen from phono preamp so soon into the purchase, I am not very convinced about this piece.

I guess I will try the return-to-Amazon route first (as suggested in the thread above). I hope the Amazon guys don't play too hard in taking it back.

(Though, I would also like to know what causes this: "phono preamp capacitor/opamp/transistor may have got faulty" for any future care. I had merely switched off the amp after listening to some records on Saturday night; and woke up to this issue on Sunday morning. There was nothing I moved, nothing extra I touched...heavens! even the tonearm had rolled back on 'auto stop' on Sat night so there wasn't even any handling from my side that way. There was nothing else to do as Denon 300F doesn't have a power button. So I just switched off the amp and went off to sleep).

As its a newly bought product, its good to get it replaced rather than digging the problem.. Best of Luck.. Keep updated this thread..

Return it. That is what return policies are for. Too soon for new gear to flunk.

As its a newly bought product, its good to get it replaced rather than digging the problem.. Best of Luck.. Keep updated this thread..

Yes! That's what I am going to do. Have applied for return on Amazon. Pick up scheduled for tomorrow morning.
Thankfully, I had kept most of the original packing and the box too. So it's good to go back.
Hope Amazon doesn't play too tough on this. *Fingers Crossed*
Will order a new one once this is through.

My 2 cents would be to return it. Why carry out "Jigri - Poke" on a new item and damage it further. If out of warranty it wold have been a different ball game altogether..

UPDATE: So, I returned it to Amazon. They picked it up today. And also processed the refund. That was really quick!

I was about to re-order : but, now Amazon is listing it with some other seller and the price has jacked up by 2K (and the return window slashed to only 10 days!) :D

Audio Technica LP3 caught my eye too. It seems to be same as Denon DP300F, only was priced approx 4K lesser. Read a few reviews, both good and bad - same issues of Denon seem to plague this AT as well. Except that AT has a grounding wire, which Denon didn't. The comparative study on some sites is almost similar. Nothing really different. Both are basically now Made In China - prob in the same set up!

So, am a bit confused. I wouldn't mind paying a bit higher for a better one - except that higher ends do not come with Auto Cueing (Start/Stop) feature, which seems to be a big no-no for serious audiophiles.... and I will prob always have to compromise there, coz I find that feature very useful, and haven't had the courage to take the plunge to one that doesn't have auto cueing. ( I usually play LPs in the morning, and get about getting ready alongside, so its helpful if the record stops on its own at the end).

Let me think about it...

It will be wise you purchase a good condition Vintage Technics Player & invest in good cartridge like Nagaoka MP110 or any liking as per your taste.. If you wants a high end player, better go ahead with Dual Idler Automatics at Cheap.

Please visit the website for revolver club since u r in Bombay. And don't buy a TT on Amazon man. Google revolver club and speak to them please.

Please visit the website for revolver club since u r in Bombay. And don't buy a TT on Amazon man. Google revolver club and speak to them please.

Great advice!

Dealer support is very important if one is not much familiar with TTs.

Absolutely right. Dont buy TT on Amazon.

There is KEI in Khar west and they are the official distribution for Denon.
Other reliable source for Denon is Profx at Worli.
Please purchase from them if you're fixed on a Denon.
Cheers

Absolutely right. Dont buy TT on Amazon.

There is KEI in Khar west and they are the official distribution for Denon.
Other reliable source for Denon is Profx at Worli.
Please purchase from them if you're fixed on a Denon.
Cheers

Yep, ProFX I know of. Ten years back the Denon 200USB had come from there only!

Revolver Club - heard about it, the Google reviews are somewhat discouraging.

Off topic. : I am a little apprehensive in visiting these hi-fi shops/dealers. 10-11 years back when I was trying to build a speaker/amp combo system, and had a modest budget of just 50-60K, some of these shops were real snobs and I received very unwelcoming vibes. It took an Alliance4 (earlier in Andheri, now in Goregaon) to really make me comfortable, give me options, bear with my questions/ indecisiveness, and ultimately do the sale. Later, with a higher budget, when I shifted homes and needed a new one for my bedroom, they helped a lot again - even sending their guy 2-3 times over, as most wiring had to be done underground as the room was getting renovated. Super guys, they are!

I love vinyls and collect a lot (New Gramophone House in Delhi are my go-to guys for purchases; excellent service, packing and quick deliveries). But I'd still call myself a noob only - and not really an 'audiophile' (I can't even claim I have 'golden ears' - but can say whether I like or not like a sound, mostly prefer warm one) - I know how to set up a basic TT but that's about it. Plus, the options in India (or, otherwise) on fully automatic TT's are extremely limited.

So, I guess I will just do a toss up between a Denon and AT and hope for best :D:D

It will be wise you purchase a good condition Vintage Technics Player & invest in good cartridge like Nagaoka MP110 or any liking as per your taste.. If you wants a high end player, better go ahead with Dual Idler Automatics at Cheap.

I have read only good things about Nagaoka MP-110 - so I had ordered that from Amazon ( yeah yeah, I am big Amazon fan) for the Denon DP300F, which is now sent back. The cart is on its way (and I don't have a TT for it right now, though). So, I was really looking forward to it - from the reviews and whatever I read, it sounds like just my kind of cartridge and sound!

With the Denon DP300F which was my guest for whole of 5 days, I had actually got an Ortofon 2M Red alongside - luckily, both deliveries happened simultaneously, so I changed the cart ASAP without even bothering to listen to the stock Denon unnamed cart (with a DSN-85 stylus - strange, since the old DP-200 had a DSN-84 stylus, so they really didn't bother to upgrade much, it seems). I wasn't too pleased by the Ortofon 2M Red - though, of course it never got the time to 'break in'. But to me, it sounded harsh, and too bright, and frankly, it tired my ears after a couple of LP plays ( and I play largely Bollywood - new and old, though). Maybe, it would have improved on breaking in, but it never got to that (till now). Though, I suspect it's not really 'my kind' of cart, even though it continues to receive rave reviews on the net.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back