Sound System under 1.5 Lakhs

Tuhin Lavania

Hello all,

Wanted to buy a Sound System.
Budget is under 1.5L, I already have a 65" 4k HDR screen and a Nvidia Shield.
Room Size is 20*14
Interested in Dolby atmos, and i have zeroed on Onkyo HTS 9800THX.
This is my first time buying any sound system so i have no experience in these kind of stuff. I live in Ankleshwar, Gujarat.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi. I was also thinking of going for the same model. But other FMs advised me to go for AVR and speakers separately. Given your budget and room size, it's ever better for you to go separately if you have no urgency.

Budget is under 1.5L

For a budget of approx 1.5L, you can build better systems than Onkyo HTIB systems..

Consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR.. You can either settle for 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 set-up, depending on your room layout & preferences..

For the remaining budget, you can consider speakers / subwoofers..

Speakers and subwoofers are available at different price ranges.

You may consider 7.2 AVR (like Denon 1500H) at around 50k.
You will get SVS PB1000 subwoofer at around 60k.
You may buy bookshelf speaker pair for around 50k. (SVS, KEF, B&W etc.)

You may add tower speakers as fronts later and move bookshelf as surrounds. Add Center channel to make it 5.1 setup.
It is better to build a good setup step by step.

If you would like to have complete setup in 1.5 Lakhs, you can consider Polk/Taga/Dali speakers

Thanks for the reply :)
Problem is, i want to buy all of it in first buy. Its difficult to convince wife and parents again and again coz i spend too much now and then on gaming :p
Also, i want a 9.2 receiver so thinking to get a Pioneer LX 303. ( That is 75k right now ) So that leaves me around 75-85k for speakers and subwoofer.
How do these TAGA TAV 506 or 606 speakers sound ? I will check out the reviews but just asking. Will buy 10 speakers of those and one subwoofer around 30-35k.
Usage is mostly movies, 90% movies and 10% music.

Also, i want a 9.2 receiver so thinking to get a Pioneer LX 303. ( That is 75k right now ) So that leaves me around 75-85k for speakers and subwoofer.
How do these TAGA TAV 506 or 606 speakers sound ? I will check out the reviews but just asking. Will buy 10 speakers of those and one subwoofer around 30-35k.
Usage is mostly movies, 90% movies and 10% music.

Two options here for you to consider if you would like to complete 9 speakers and subwoofers with in your budget..

Option 1) - Buy 2 pairs of Taga TAV 506 / 606 5.0 speaker package.. You would have 10 speakers.. Use a pair of floor standers for fronts, and one more pair for surrounds (or0 surr back depending on where you have space in the room.. Approx 40K..

Get a pair of subwoofers.. I would suggest Taga Harmony TSW 200 series.. A 12 inch sub for approx 25K each..

Option 2) - Buy 4 pairs of Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL speakers..(One pair for fronts, one pair for surrounds, one pair for surr back & one pair for heights) 12K per pair x 4 = 48K and a center speaker C90 SL = 13K.. Totally 60K..

Add a Taga Harmony TSW 200 series subwoofer = 25K, totally 85K..

There are some offers on amazon.in with HDFC cards..

Do you have false ceiling in your room?..

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion :)
No, its not a false ceiling, its the main ceiling.
Your option 1 is quite comfortable for me, 2 pairs of 5 speaker packages and subwoofers.
Only question is, how do these speakers sound ? Are they okay with movies ?
I can go with Option 2 also if the Platinum speakers are better

Within the budget of 150k one of the good option is Denon AVR x2500h (75K) with Polk RTiA 3/1/CSiA4 (75k) . Add subwoofer and Atmos speakers later as budget permit. But this is 5.2.2 or 7.2 setup only. Add floor standing speakers later and use surround speakers as surround back or Atmos speakers. Excellent movie and music setup for longer periods with minimal upgradation.

Your option 1 is quite comfortable for me, 2 pairs of 5 speaker packages and subwoofers.

Take this route, if you can't spend anymore than your mentioned budget of 85K Max..

I can go with Option 2 also if the Platinum speakers are better

If you can spend 25K more (over time, not immediately) than your existing budget of 85K, then take this route..

For 85K, you will get 9 speakers and 1 subwoofer.. If you can afford an other 25K later, get an other identical subwoofer and make it dual..

Platinum range of speakers are step-up models compared to TAV series..

Only question is, how do these speakers sound ? Are they okay with movies ?

Right now, there isn't a comparable 5.0 speaker package to that of TAV series.. IMO, they sound just fine, heard it at my friends place who has the same with Denon x 540..

Check if any forum member in your town / nearest town has this speaker package.. Drop in his place, take a demo and decide..

Hello all,

Wanted to buy a Sound System.
Budget is under 1.5L, I already have a 65" 4k HDR screen and a Nvidia Shield.
Room Size is 20*14
This is my first time buying any sound system so i have no experience in these kind of stuff. I live in Ankleshwar, Gujarat.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Hello and Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.
I hope that you find all the information you need to purchase your system.

Regards.

Hi @Tuhin Lavania

I am new to the forum and looking for item at a similar budget.
At this budget, are you open to used product also?

I am open to used product. If you are looking for new item only I will open a new thread for my requirement, as I don't want to hijack your thread.

Regards,
Rejin.R

Hi..
Im usually not into used products, but you can post here its okay. I got my questions answered here and im looking to buy the system in a month or two, basically waiting for any price drop in some time as im in no hurry.
Thanks for the suggestions, people. Helped me a lot. :)
Will get back here if i have any other queries.

Got to ask one thing, What is the major difference between Pioneer VSX LX303 and Marantz SRV6012 receiver ? Couldnt find much online. Is it worth leaving the Pioneer and buying 6012 instead ?

Got to ask one thing, What is the major difference between Pioneer VSX LX303 and Marantz SRV6012 receiver ? Couldnt find much online.

Pioneer LX 303 is a 9.2 AVR only, with no extra pre-out ports (Expansion not possible)..

Marantz SR 6012 is also a 9.2 AVR, but with 11.2 pre-outs which you can expand using any additional power amplifier..

Is it worth leaving the Pioneer and buying 6012 instead ?

Both are capable ones, and some video features may differentiate this in addition to the above.. If 4K video features in an AVR is not a priority for you, you can comfortably settle for 6012 (if it is within your budget)..

4k video features ?
I plan to connect external HDDs to Nvidia Shield and play 2160p HDR movies and then some i will buy.
Also, thinking to build up the system step by step, not buying everything at once.
Thanks for the reply :)

Any speaker packages or Subwoofers that go well with 6012 or Pioneer and which are better than the ones suggested above like TAGA Harmony or Platinum ones. Since now i have decided to go step by step i can spend some more, like 3L.

Last edited:
4k video features ?

HDR, Dolby vision stuff.. Am naive to these 4K associated features..

Any speaker packages or Subwoofers that go well with 6012 or Pioneer and which are better than the ones suggested above like TAGA Harmony or Platinum ones. Since now i have decided to go step by step i can spend some more, like 3L.

If you budget increases, choice of products open -up more to popular brands..

Any speaker (or) subwoofer should go with any AVR..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back