Source for 12AX7/ECC83 tubes

prasen_b

I have a hybrid integrated amplifier and have been rolling the tubes in the pre-amp section for quite a while now. I first got two set of tubes from Be3amplifiers
- NOS Mullard
- BEL

The Mullard was better then BEL and both of them were much better than the stock chinese tubes. But the Mullard didn't last long and I had to replace it after about two years of use, and this with normal usage of about 5-6 hours every week.
The next set I got were JJ Tesla (made is slovenia) again from Be3amplifiers which were double the price of the Mullard but were worse than the BEL. I think getting any tubes from be3amp is hit and miss. I am now looking for an alternative source preferably selling online. Please share any sources you have experience with. Also anybody has sourced tubes from Cadence pune, I mean locally. I was told at their showroom at M.G Road that they could source telefunken tubes.

Hi prasen,

I got all my tubes on ebay. Reputed 100% sellers or lucky auctions. Ecc83s, gz rectifiers and my 45 tubes also.

Regards

Torque ain't cheap but it sure knocks yer socks off

Hi prasen,
I got my tubes from BRENT JESSEE RECORDING HOMEPAGE. I got a pair of Amperex Bugleboy 12ax7 from them. Had also ordered Telefunken smoothplates from them which got lost in transit in india :sad:. The lesson learnt was to order by registered post not ordinary post. Best of luck..
regards
Abhijit

I have bought from Tubedepot and thetubestore when living in the US, both are reliable online sources.

I am looking for a quad of EH 6L6 tubes and a pair of NOS EL84 tubes, preferably from any source in Bangalore, India.

Hi prasen,
I got my tubes from BRENT JESSEE RECORDING HOMEPAGE. I got a pair of Amperex Bugleboy 12ax7 from them. Had also ordered Telefunken smoothplates from them which got lost in transit in india :sad:. The lesson learnt was to order by registered post not ordinary post. Best of luck..
regards
Abhijit

So how were the Amperex? Any recommendation for 12AX7/ECC83 tubes in the $100 per pair range? I have never heard of this supplier before. Is there some way to check the quality of the tubes after they are received, this is a general question?

Last edited:
+1 -> My source. Then I trust Borderlinx more for shipping fragile items like tubes ... dont want the dirty hands of Customs on them :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Have you bought any 12AX7/ECC83 tubes? What would you recommend in the $100 per pair range?

This is a question for all. How long do preamp tubes last specifically 12AX7/ECC83 in practice. When you ask dealers who sell tube gear they give a very optimistic duration of 3-4 years with moderate use?

Have you bought any 12AX7/ECC83 tubes? What would you recommend in the $100 per pair range?

This is a question for all. How long do preamp tubes last specifically 12AX7/ECC83 in practice. When you ask dealers who sell tube gear they give a very optimistic duration of 3-4 years with moderate use?

I got one Shugang 12AX7B doing duty in my new amp since 3 months. too early to tell.

--G0bble

Hi Prasen,

No indian sources on ebay. Instead of asking which tubes are available in the $100 range, a better question might perhaps be to ask what kind of sound am I looking for. Which is probably why you found the JJ Teslas worse than the BELs. I have the Mullard short plates, Telefunken smooth plates, Siemens, Valvo, Mullard long plates, Mullard box plates, the Amperexes. All have their own characteristic flavour and I love rolling them depending on my mood. You will find descriptions of these flavours I think on the Brent Jesse site. I have found those descriptions to be accurate and have detailed my impressions in a thread somewhere there I forget which one.

Regards

So how were the Amperex? Any recommendation for 12AX7/ECC83 tubes in the $100 per pair range? I have never heard of this supplier before. Is there some way to check the quality of the tubes after they are received, this is a general question?

Hi,
The Amperex got more detail and air to the recordings. a good upgrade. Check the website they have tubes almost for all budget..
Regards
Abhijit

Hi Prasen,

No indian sources on ebay. Instead of asking which tubes are available in the $100 range, a better question might perhaps be to ask what kind of sound am I looking for. Which is probably why you found the JJ Teslas worse than the BELs. I have the Mullard short plates, Telefunken smooth plates, Siemens, Valvo, Mullard long plates, Mullard box plates, the Amperexes. All have their own characteristic flavour and I love rolling them depending on my mood. You will find descriptions of these flavours I think on the Brent Jesse site. I have found those descriptions to be accurate and have detailed my impressions in a thread somewhere there I forget which one.

Regards

Ok. Point taken but still I have to stick to a budget. The JJ Teslas that I had were simply worse I don't think flavours help to describe it. They were fatiguing and didn't have the PRAT or detail of the BEL. I think there were something wrong with it. That's the reason I had asked if there is a way to check for noise or microphonics. In case of tubes even if they are slightly defective they will work.

So prasen did you decide which tube to buy?

Torque ain't cheap but it sure knocks yer socks off

I was wrong about the JJ tesla tubes they do sound nice I had initially mistakenly used different tubes on the channels which was causing it to sound fatiguing.

Be3amplifiers also seems to stock russian made reissues of Mullard and tung-sol anyone has any experience with this tubes.

Hi prasen_b,

12AX7 tubes are used in the pre-amp section, and as such are regarded a very important stage. Hence these tubes should be chosen very carefully not only for the preferred tonality but also for low noise floor and less micro-phonics. Most of the new tubes are not very high quality ones, both sonically and longevity-wise. There are a few reputed new tubes - among the reissues there are the Genalex Gold Lions which are supposed to be good according to reports (I have not used them) and, among new tubes, the chinese premium tubes from Shuguang or Psvane Treasure series (I use their 12AX7 in the pre-amp section of my Leben CS 300 tube amp, and also their 12AU7 tube in my Line Magnetic LM215 CDP). These premium chinese 12AX7s are no worse than my NOS Telefunken ribbed plate 12AX7s, depending on taste some may consider them even better.

The Brent Jesse site gives an generally accurate overview of all NOS tubes. If I remember correctly, they do not discuss the new tubes. The reason I chose the TFK ribbed plates over the smooth plates was that the ribbed plates have more full-bodied sound than the smooth plates. As such the TFK tubes are supposed to be deadly accurate and that's why they sound a bit thin and perhaps a bit bright to some. Hence I chose the safer option of getting the ribbed plates which are also somewhat cheaper compared to the smooth plates. In addition, the whole sonics have to be balanced out with the power tubes too. If the power tubes have a bit too much of flesh, one needs to balance that out in the pre section with deadly accurate tubes. You mention that you use a hybrid amp, does that mean you do not have tubes in the power section?

One problem with NOS tubes is their genuineness. There are fake tubes available in the market which claim to be NOS. I am not really an expert in tubes, and hence I refrain from buying from ebay sites. But if you are an expert, you can get NOS at cheaper price from ebay.

I have bought from the following sites:

Brent Jesse's online store: BRENT JESSEE RECORDING HOMEPAGE

Cryoset online store: Cryoset.com - Cryoset Certified Vaccum Tubes

Psvane and Shuguang site: Psvane & Shuguang Treasure Audio Tubes, Caps and Amps | Manufacturer Authorized Worldwide 5A Standard Re-seller

In addition, Jim Mcshane's site (Jim McShane Home Page) is also heavily recommended by many tube users abroad. He is definitely very well respected by many. But I found his site a very complicated one to look at and to find the available tubes is a pain. Any way, I did not find what I was looking for at that time, and hence I ended up buying from somewhere else.

SND Tubes (Vacuum Tubes, Electron Tubes, Tubes, Tube Testers and Electronic Parts) is another site which keeps many NOS tubes. In fact, I once ordered from them, but the credit card payment failed citing that his site was untrusted. I wrote to Michael Marx (owner), but he responded: "I cannot run the credit card in any other way. I no longer accept bank wire transfers due to security issues". I hope they have improved by now so that credit cards would trust his site, because he had a nice collection of NOS tubes.

Everybody will charge you some money for matched pairs. Respectable tube-sellers have the proper equipment to do that and the necessary stocks to pick from, good vendors also do a careful job of it, at least they advertise to be doing so.

Regards.

Last edited:
I use Psvane treasure II currently. Everything you read about them is generally accurate in my experience. Except that they lack the air of sophistication about them. My Jan-Philips 5751 scores over the Psvane on this front otherwise it loses hands down. I expect NOS tubes to score in this department. But there is no going back from the Psvane 12AX7 and one will have to convince me hard to spend as much on another 12AX7. They are currently at $75 a pair. I got mine from fleabay Hong Kong.

G0bble

Hi,

I got a Philips 12AU7 pair from the foll ebay seller, got item in good condition and fair price:

????- ??????Wi Wi Tubes- for audiophiles

N.Murali

Thanks for all your responses. I have been reading about reissues by New sensor (most russian made reissues are made by them) and they will certainly be enough for setups like me. I was thinking of the Gold Lions or the Tung-sols. They both are supposed to be reliable with good sonics. I have to read up on the chinese stuff, looks like the 12AX7 are not their forte (Recommended Vacuum Tubes).

Has anybody got experiences/opinions on german made current production e.g. RFT ECC83?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back