Speaker Cables and Interconnects for QUAD setup

cmsajith

Following is my setup:

- CAIMAN DAC with PRE (later the pot will be replaced with DACT pot)
- QUAD 909 PowerAmp
- QUAD 22L2 speakers

Please advice me on the best suited speaker cables and interconnects for this setup. It would be good along with the approx. price and dealer name.

Do anybody heard about Liberty spk cables (750/- per meter)? (please dont think its is my budget, just wanted to know how good is it so that i can ask for a good deal)

Last edited:
I was using a Qed with My Quads before, Sounded very bright , tried various cables like supra , Kimber and Monster , Never liked any of the cables , now using a VDH and the sound is to my liking.

Congratulations Sajith on your purchase.

Cables are always controversial and also very subjective. Whatever I shall say in the following is from personal actual experience and hence may be subjective. Generally silver-coated and pure silver cables have more detail, but on certain systems they can also sound too bright. Now obviously, attributes like being bright and so on are not absolute and very much depend on personal liking. QED speaker cables like Silver Anniversary can sound bright as soundofmusic has expressed. VDH cables are more 'neutral' as such, but they can also be less exciting. Some people call them Van den Dull. I use a VDH IC (called the D 102 mk 3) which is quite good considering all aspects. I have also used the VDH Clearwater speaker cables which are okay, I think. At least the lower priced VDH cables are a little thin on bass. This applies more to their speaker cables than ICs I think, based on my experience. I have not used their more expensive cables.

Keep the IC from your pre to the power as short as possible (0.5m or so). Given that the power amp quad 909 does not emphasize the high frequencies as some may like, I was actually thinking of suggesting cables with some silver in it. But I am a bit confused after what soundofmusic said above, but it may be too specific for QED cables.

I have had very good results recently with silver-coated ICs, the VDH one I mentioned above and the Audio Art IC-3. (I have used other silver coated IC even before). Currently I am using a DIY pure silver IC which is simply fantastic in terms details and punch. Again, any cable with silver takes a long time (200 hours or more) to burn in (never evaluate a cable before it is burnt in), if you believe in that sort of things. No flames or sarcasm please.

Right now I use a pure copper PCOCC cable (Made by Hitachi for TDK) sold by ARN systems that is simply fantastic. I have removed my VDH and prefer this cable much much better.

Cables have to work in unison with the rest of the chain. I do not have any idea of your DAC pre. I know the Quad 909 quite well, and also have some idea of the Quad speaker. You have to balance your system with proper cables, that is keep the excellent midrange resolution with a cable that would not destroy that midrange while perhaps boost a bit in the HF. The bass again will depend a bit on your room and your placement of the speakers.

If you are in a position to borrow some cables from local people (friends/dealers), please do. As explained elsewhere, cables can act as as passive equalizers and hence very much contribute to the synergy.

Regards.

Stay on the VDH for now.

The above-mentioned would set you back at least $500-600 i.e. Rs. 30k approx for budgetary purpose - if you can manage to locate them at discounted price on Welcome To USEDCABLE.COM

And they are compatible for quite a few branded speakers so your investment is quite safe when you decide to upgrade.

Oh God, VDH is only a temporary solution..!! I dont think i can convince myself in going for a 30K cable in future also, unless I upgrade my current setup to a few steps more.

Last edited:
Sajith,

You never spend on things like cables at a go, like ordering a few ICs or speaker cables for 30k. A lot of patience is required, and one does things one at a time. I have no idea which cables you have at the moment. If you have some VDH as AE is mentioning, keep them and use them in your system. VDH's are good cables and better than many cables. Continue with whatever cables you have until all your units especially the speakers are burnt in (assuming you bought them new). After burn in, keep on enjoying your system. Play your favorite music again and again and enjoy. Once you are very familiar with the sonics of your system (like you can recognize it even blind-folded), go and try some tweaks like trying new cables etc. Even then change only one thing at a time, wait for it to fully burn in, and then enjoy your system for some more time. Frankly I do not know of any better way to learn this whole thing. This way you get a very good idea of what each component is doing to the sound.

Some of the cables that AE has suggested would not be that expensive. For example I have heard the quad amps with lower end XLO ICs and they did a good job, I think. On the other hand, I would not recommend to go for low end Audioquest at all. The cables I use are not that expensive at all. Both the D102 and the IC-3 are VFM cables priced 5K-7k for 1m, and my speaker cables are Rs800 per meter. My recent experimentation with power cables with good connectors has cost me a bit more though, but the result is fantastic. But that should happen a long way away from now, with your new system.

Regards.

Food for a laughter:

I have been using Pre-Power+SACD MARANTZ+QUADS allon DAC's cheap cables (Total cost about 4k) ..and the sound has been 'MELODIOUS' till now.

Its only now that when i add a passive unit instead of the Quad 99pre-amp tomorrow, that i shall introduce a new set of Lyrita's Copper cables.

Go easy on them, start easy. Feel what the set brings first. Dont pick anything in a zippy, especially with cables.

Food for a laughter:

I have been using Pre-Power+SACD MARANTZ+QUADS allon DAC's cheap cables (Total cost about 4k) ..and the sound has been 'MELODIOUS' till now.

Its only now that when i add a passive unit instead of the Quad 99pre-amp tomorrow, that i shall introduce a new set of Lyrita's Copper cables.

Go easy on them, start easy. Feel what the set brings first. Dont pick anything in a zippy, especially with cables.

It will be difficult to judge the sq improvement as you are changing 3 units in your system : pre / IC / spk cables. So could you please do a comparison by just changing the PRE to passive and retaining all other units (IC and DAC spk cables) as same?

I have got an offer from the dealer from whom i bought 22L2:

- Free 25mtr Belden 16AWG grey jacket cable
OR
- 50% off on 3+3 mtr LIBERTY copper cable costs 750 per meter with normal 4 spades free.

I had asked for 25mtr of belden to do the biwiring and the rest can be used for surrounds.

Last edited:
Food for a laughter:

Hi Sidharth,

The DACs are perhaps better than many cables if properly chosen and matched to the system. I tried them once in my system some time ago, and it did not work out well (basically lacked a lot in resolution and poor tonality of vocals) and I had a lot of trouble returning them to SKS Traders. But I have seen people using them with reasonable success. Let us know what sort differences you find with the Lyrita cables. If the Lyrita cables are made fully of copper, there should not be much of a burn-in time anyway.

I have tried quite a few cables in my time. Soemhow I tended to pay more attention to the speakers cables and have used good quality speaker cables. I have tried many kinds of ICs and the performance is never commensurate with price. Somehow one has to hit that sweet spot with cables that matches very well the system, the music and the listener. It's not about money always.

Regards.

Asit da,
For the time being i am introducing only the Lyrita I/C and speaker cables remain DAC.

If i shall change, it shall be after audition only, with due respects to brands and whats being used. What my ears nod yet to, would be the one i pick.

And in accordance to what you shared, DAC is indeed coming across quite fine. Post the change, if the speaker cables i introduce are really good then i hope to hear wonders, which remains contradictory to the usual notion of cables adding 2-5% to the set up. But i shall be up for that as well, if it does add ..to the magic.

Hi Sidharth,

The DACs are perhaps better than many cables if properly chosen and matched to the system. I tried them once in my system some time ago, and it did not work out well (basically lacked a lot in resolution and poor tonality of vocals) and I had a lot of trouble returning them to SKS Traders. But I have seen people using them with reasonable success. Let us know what sort differences you find with the Lyrita cables. If the Lyrita cables are made fully of copper, there should not be much of a burn-in time anyway.

I have tried quite a few cables in my time. Soemhow I tended to pay more attention to the speakers cables and have used good quality speaker cables. I have tried many kinds of ICs and the performance is never commensurate with price. Somehow one has to hit that sweet spot with cables that matches very well the system, the music and the listener. It's not about money always.

Regards.

I have got an offer from the dealer from whom i bought 22L2:

- Free 25mtr Belden 16AWG grey jacket cable
OR
- 50% off on 3+3 mtr LIBERTY copper cable costs 750 per meter with normal 4 spades free.

I had asked for 25mtr of belden to do the biwiring and the rest can be used for surrounds.

Get the belden , use it with your system as of now. When its time to upgrade then buy some expensive cables and throw the belden :rolleyes:

So everybody is having opinion of getting the free Belden cable and bi-wire (by using the same amp and 4 wires for each channel) for the time being instead of going for the 50% offer on liberty?

Actually silver is a better electrical conductor than copper.
And then its more malleable, with simpler crystalline structure.

try vdh d-102 mk III factory terminated interconnects. i use a quad setup like yours and these vdh sounds fabulous. i have 2 nos box packed 1 mtr stereo pair factory terminated in rca vdh d-102 mk III in new condition with me which i can spare as i own 3 more in my existing setup. if you are interested mail me at [email protected]

Wow looking at this thread, it does look that your taste in cables does appears bit too rich for simple souls like me! I use simple OFC braided copper wire 16AWG for my speaker wires, and am quite happy with them.

However, YMMV

Cheers

George

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back