Speaker Impedance for Planar speaker structures

turgid

Hello there,

I have been trying to bring up impedance for quasi ribbon and true ribbon speakers. I am at disposal to 4 and 8 ohm amplifier systems but cant quite get the required impedance level for the ribbons i plan to make until I use extremely narrow and super-long ribbons. Most commercial ribbon systems come with a transformer built into the module while the older ones use 2 or 3 ribbon structures that in series cough up the necessary impedance levels.While the impedance of the trafo needs to be lesser than the element its driving, I find the required winding on the secondary a complicated matter. I have comeup with the idea of using double sided PCB with laser tone transfer method which I am fairly new to while I am pretty sure it has its limits.

Would love any and all inputs and suggestions you guys may have.

This is the online resistance calculator I use - Homepage - Ekswai - Ekswai. refer 'PCB trace resistance calculator' . if I use aluminium instead of copper I multiply with 1.58 to get equivalent value.

As an example... If I use 0.3mm copper wire for a speaker, I need around 1500 cm to get close to 2.8 ohms. While if I use traxmaker for printing a circuit, I can get a trace width of a precise 25 microns that will give me around 16 ohms for a meagre 60cm trace length.

The laser tone transfer technique looks very easy provided there is a printer at my disposal and some gloss print paper used for printing photos.

Is there a more common and easier method to get a circuit printed onto a PCB ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back