Speaker in a baffle basic doubt

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45006

On branded speakers and good DIY speakers I have noticed that the speaker is always fitted in a groove cut out of the wood, but when I started out for it, my local carpenter says its difficult to cut out in that way so that the part of the basket of the speaker where you have the screws is stay above the baffle, how important is it, to have the baffle seem less to the front part of the speaker? Is this done just for prevention of air leakage from the cabin or is it just a style reason? I know the question is difficult to understand, but I cannot post the pics now..

Yes this cut out normally comes out nice if you do with a CNC router. But if you are not able to get this done then you can follow what I have done. You can refer to my Zaph audio BS build thread in the DIY section. I have used a 4mm OST (one side teakwood) to flush mount the drivers. This OST has been cut to the outer diameter of the drivers and port.
Edit: How important is it: I think it is important for flush mounting of the drivers as I have experienced that the sound improves and also aesthetically it gives a nice look for the drivers.
Thanks

how important is it, to have the baffle seem less to the front part of the speaker? Is this done just for prevention of air leakage from the cabin or is it just a style reason?
I think if the drivers and baffle are not seemless or compensated by round rubber surround, diffraction will occur altering the frequency response. If one doesn't worry about diffraction then yes it is for style reason. as most speakers are square shape with hard 90 degree corners instead of a sphere or atleast good round edges. Which somewhat lowers the diffraction.
Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back