Granito

The top Slab/plate shown in the pics above are recessed so that
the top nut is flush with the top surface of the top plate
Pics shown are Work in progress pics when recess was NOT
completed

SAL - Alif

SAL - Be

Other than the basic stands above a lot of customisation may be done

Top & Bottom plates/Central pillars made to Materials (SS,AL,MS,Wood etc) and SPecs as per Choice and dimensions

Finish ranging from Matt Buffing, Anodising, to powder coat/Paint and PU coating and sand blasting ( for higher
cost stands)

Top plate Sandwich : weherein the top plate consists of MS or granite plates with Acrylic in between

Inserts on Top plate which can allow speaker levelling.A request is also being looked into where threaded inserts
may be provided to bolt the speaker to the top plate

Cable management

Here is a Centre Channel speaker stand made for a member
His speaker measures about 25inches * 12 inches i think

MSR - Centre

the stand weighs in at 28kgs unfilled ( actually i dont think it needs to be filled at all , though that option has been given )
Its a lovely finish full Matt Black Fine Texture ( sand blasted) finish

I hope to soon post some Bookshelf speaker stands that are made along these lines

Edit : i do the above as a hobby and since i have the means ( machinery equipment and vendors ) . certain friends have adviced i do this for members here.
I would consider that

Update 17th July

Here are Some stands built for members

Please note i have not posted ALL stands i have built for members only the ones that are different so buyers please dont intepret this as partiality

SAL- Alif RND

Here is the vesrion of SAL Alif in a 3 inch Round steel central column
Finish is black matt ( premium sand blast)
Each Stand weighs in at 13-15kgs (approx 30-38 Lbs ) Unfilled

PSB

Here is a stand ive simply called PSB since it closely resembles a stand i saw at lakozy for the PSB B25's. (im sure if dinyaar sees these hell agree that this stand better the one we saw in all aspects)
These are large bookshelves and hence the top plate is larger to accomodate

Built for a customer with the PSB B25's

The base plate is also a lazer cut Trapezoid ( shape "c" i think). Looks pretty cool

AXON SQ

Here is a stand specially designed ground up for a member who wanted somethin that looks good aesthetically and also wanted cable management. The stand has larger than normal base plates and top plates as per requirement

I have selcted shape "d" for the baseplate

The base plate has been lazer cut to dimensions unlike regular milling or manual gas cut. A good amount of work went into this

This shape was chosen as it looks and functions better than all other shapes considering the pillars we have chosen

There is a large square 3 inch column in the front and a 1 inch circular column behind it for the cable management. Hence this shape with a broad front which tapers to the rear matches these column arrangement very well ( large column in front with a smaller one at the back). Also the straight edges in the front match the straight lines of the square column better than shapes which has curved edges

I think this base plate should also match the customers particular speakers which taper off towards the end.

Lastly this shape allows us to keep the CG dead centre which works well for this stand the weight of cable management column offsetting the taper on the base plate

Heres a checklist on stand building you can refer when building your own
Attatched is also a list of prices when ordering for me
(These are tentative and may change with times)

Last edited:
Magma, amazing finish levels and your PSB looks great on it.
You were planning to build very short stands, what happened to that project?
Once again amazing work!

Damn, they are good ! Do you take personal orders/requests by Delhi people too, magma ?

A little off-topic, but if you were to suggest some non-DIY/branded stands, which ones would you recommend in a budget of 10k (or less) ? Any feedback on Soundstyle Z2 stands ?

ya magma I am also looking for good speakers stands....do you ships to delhi
alcy@ how much is this Soundstyle Z2 stands? and where to find?

^^^
thank you all for your encouragement and kind words

Magma, amazing finish levels and your PSB looks great on it.
You were planning to build very short stands, what happened to that project?
Once again amazing work!

the SAL - Be are 21 inches high they are the short ones

Great work with excellent finish

Damn, they are good ! Do you take personal orders/requests by Delhi people too, magma ?

A little off-topic, but if you were to suggest some non-DIY/branded stands, which ones would you recommend in a budget of 10k (or less) ? Any feedback on Soundstyle Z2 stands ?

ya magma I am also looking for good speakers stands....do you ships to delhi
alcy@ how much is this Soundstyle Z2 stands? and where to find?

i would consider taking orders
However i do get discouraged sometimes when i see and hear people putting values to certain items as they see fit

For e.g i may have a customer who may turn around and say well your stands are MS and aluminium - MS is rs x/kg, Al is rs y/kg nuts bolts etc your stands should be for Rs w
Nobody actually accounts for labour costs which i can assure you would definetely cost as much as or double even triple material costs
Another Diyer may attest to that
(im talking of well executed and correctly done stuff not your regular tack weld cut and bolt)

well id like to tell them how come you dont say this to B&W or Dyna Audio

i think my lightest stands weigh in at 11kgs/stand unfilled
If im not wrong there are branded stands that weigh only half that

the fact is many in India are so brand consious that they will pay double or triple of what i may charge only becasue they would trust that brand to make a better stand

hi magma..............the finishing shows the expertness in your hands.
and plz dont care about the persons/ppls who speaks like that............show your attitude....:)
till date I have not finalized my bookshelf ..........but once done I will definatly speak to you.

A good stand is one that is highly stable ( has a decent footprint) , has correctly made spikes/isolation methods and most importantly one that is totally dead

By dead i mean the stand should not ring at all even if you tap it
This is not easy, Most stands even the branded ones find this difficult to achieve
this is achived by a combination of mass and weight and using correct gauge of components

Many readymade stands are made completely detachble and use lighter materials so the stand is easy to ship
In my opionon the best stand would be a 1 PC thing ( consider a concrete or solid MS cube on spikes - now that would be DEAD )

i am currently looking to work on a Gamut inspired stand which have an angular MDF pillar
top and bottom plates are MS

H magma,

The stands look absolutely pretty.I am looking for stands for my Wharf 9.2's.If and when you decide to make it for the members consider my request too.

Thanks,
sri

Very impressive magma. Their looks could rival major brands. Any plans to challenge the mighty Partington Dreadnoughts?!

Partington%20Dreadnought%20Broadside%2002.jpg

Very impressive magma. Their looks could rival major brands. Any plans to challenge the mighty Partington Dreadnoughts?!
]
hey unleash
sir thank you for the encouragemnt
well if can get to SEE the partington somehwere im pretty sure i could build something similar
For me seeing is very important to note its execution , otherwise i would require more detailed photos which unfortunately arent easily availble.

really excellent work. amazing.pls provide all details in one single link like a tutorial.
regards

fortunately and kindly venkat has merged my last post with my very first one
so as to maintain neatness
thank you venkat

Last edited:
I guess those Dreadnoughts cost around 100 and I have seen them being recommended for Quad 11L and 11L2 speakers in some reviews.

Oh wait, just checked their website and they fall in the range of 200-400. I might have read about some entry level Dreadnoughts then.

the Partington Braodside dreadnought
which is partingtons top end stand uses 8 mm spikes, it consits of a lazer cut Base plate which is made from 3mm thick hollow steel which is resin filled
the central column consists of a central square tube and 4 cylindriacl pipes.Each are welded to each other and i think they are all welded to the base and top
plate too
the stand weighs about 27kgs filled ( 7kgs of ballast/sand etc)

the SAL Be is not too far if not in the same league
it uses 3/8 inch (approx 9mm )spikes
the BAse plate here too is lazer cut, infact its not even hollow but a 1 inch block of steel
the central columns are 2 large square tubes that accomodate 6kgs of ballast
the main difference is that the columns are not welded but bolted to the top and bottom plates

(i do agree this is an important differnece and i have elaborated a bit why in a previous post)
but bolting together parts allows me portability and easier shipping options.
the SAL - Be weigh in at 26kgs per stand

Last edited:
Magma,

This is a lovely thread for all Bookshelf owners. Do post more pictures whenever possible.

Regards,
mpw

28156qr.jpg

SAL Alif stands. Arrived yesterday evening.

The packaging by magma was brilliant and so was the service by GATI Couriers.

I know magma won't be happy with the way I have placed the columns, as the nuts can be seen...but for now this placement will do. ;)

[

I know magma won't be happy with the way I have placed the columns, as the nuts can be seen...but for now this placement will do. ;)

the screws are on 3 sides
did you try turning the stand around 180 degrees?

some have requested a cable management option
so this is for them
Please excuse quality of pics since its taken by a camera phone

personally im not a great fan of cable management only because it diffcult to change cables, try out new ones etc
Also its really difficult to disconnect and move the stands if required when the friendly neighbourhood Kamwali bai comes to clean/mop the floor

On second thoughts and looks though...it won't change...the nuts will be seen still. Must have done some mistake in attaching the top plate...but its okay really.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back