Speakers (Centre) for Yamaha AVR V373 - budget 10K

RMCWS

First of all I'd like to thank all the senior and experienced FMs who had help me a lot in deciding whether to go for HTiB or Separate within 30-35K and finally I have decided to settle down with Yamaha AVR V373 which I am getting at Rs.27,000/- from AV Square, Calcutta.

Now I am looking for speakers for the avr. Right now I am looking for a centre (I already have a pair of Sony BS - 2" tweeter & 5" woofer with 6 ohm which I plan to use till I get fresh fronts - FS or BS in my next purchase).

Budget for centre speaker
Around Rs.10,000/- (+-2K)

I have shortlisted few (only on the basis of online reviews/ advice from friends but haven't demoed any centre speaker yet)

1. Sonodyne Sonus C2401 V3 Centre Channel Loudspeaker - (6.5K)
2. Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.CC - (10K) but I was told by Harmonie Audio that Wharf has stopped producing this 9 series and the entry level for the new 10 series starts at 15K which is slightly out of my budget right now.
3. Polk CS10 - (10K)

There are couple of Whafedale Centre Vardus series available too within 10-12K.

I have also been suggested to keep the centre as well as the fronts (BS/ FS) of the same brand as well as same series. After the purchase of the centre, I will look for fronts (I am mostly targeting FS from Sonodyne as I have a good feeling about them as well as it will most probably come within my budget of 20K)

So please suggest me a good centre speaker ( around 10K) for Yamaha AVR V373 also keeping in mind that my next purchase will be the Fronts (around 20K) so I cannot really go for company which sell fronts for 50-80K.

Once again looking for valuable advice from this forum.

Thanks in advance. :)

Buy JBL CINEMA300/230 Cinema 300 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System. It is a Complete set & It will blown you away. If you like BASS there is no competitor for JBL.

I have YAMAHA V371/3064 AVR with JBL & trust me you will never like Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer in future. Check Reliance digital for JBL Speakers. The last time I Checked, JBL CINEMA300/230 costs around 20-22K.

First of all I'd like to thank all the senior and experienced FMs who had help me a lot in deciding whether to go for HTiB or Separate within 30-35K and finally I have decided to settle down with Yamaha AVR V373 which I am getting at Rs.27,000/- from AV Square, Calcutta.

Now I am looking for speakers for the avr. Right now I am looking for a centre (I already have a pair of Sony BS - 2" tweeter & 5" woofer with 6 ohm which I plan to use till I get fresh fronts - FS or BS in my next purchase).

Budget for centre speaker
Around Rs.10,000/- (+-2K)

I have shortlisted few (only on the basis of online reviews/ advice from friends but haven't demoed any centre speaker yet)

1. Sonodyne Sonus C2401 V3 Centre Channel Loudspeaker - (6.5K)
2. Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.CC - (10K) but I was told by Harmonie Audio that Wharf has stopped producing this 9 series and the entry level for the new 10 series starts at 15K which is slightly out of my budget right now.
3. Polk CS10 - (10K)

There are couple of Whafedale Centre Vardus series available too within 10-12K.

I have also been suggested to keep the centre as well as the fronts (BS/ FS) of the same brand as well as same series. After the purchase of the centre, I will look for fronts (I am mostly targeting FS from Sonodyne as I have a good feeling about them as well as it will most probably come within my budget of 20K)

So please suggest me a good centre speaker ( around 10K) for Yamaha AVR V373 also keeping in mind that my next purchase will be the Fronts (around 20K) so I cannot really go for company which sell fronts for 50-80K.

Once again looking for valuable advice from this forum.

Thanks in advance. :)

Yes you can use your Sony BS as of now and upgrade it later, very good idea. So keep in mind that the LCR as a HT practice should be of the same make to gel in the complete HT experience. Hence go with a center that you can get the same set of front LR speakers later when you upgrade from Sony BS. I think Wharfedale's go well with Yamaha so do consider them and the best would be to audition with your amplifier.

Diamond 9 series has been out of production for quite sometime.

Checkout Mordaunt Short Carnival series at SKS Traders and PSB Alpha at Watt Effects.

Buy JBL CINEMA300/230 Cinema 300 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System. It is a Complete set & It will blown you away. If you like BASS there is no competitor for JBL.

I have YAMAHA V371/3064 AVR with JBL & trust me you will never like Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer in future. Check Reliance digital for JBL Speakers. The last time I Checked, JBL CINEMA300/230 costs around 20-22K.

Thanks for your advice Jason but what I am looking for right now a centre speaker not a 5.1 set.

Yes you can use your Sony BS as of now and upgrade it later, very good idea. So keep in mind that the LCR as a HT practice should be of the same make to gel in the complete HT experience. Hence go with a center that you can get the same set of front LR speakers later when you upgrade from Sony BS. I think Wharfedale's go well with Yamaha so do consider them and the best would be to audition with your amplifier.

I'd definitely like to try out wharfedale with Yamaha but the problem is that the place from where I am planning to get the avr does not stock wharfedale and the place from where I can get wharfedale does not have Yamaha avr (they have denon).

Diamond 9 series has been out of production for quite sometime.

Checkout Mordaunt Short Carnival series at SKS Traders and PSB Alpha at Watt Effects.

Even Mr. Vasu of Harmonie Audio told me so. Let me know check out (at least online now) the speakers as mentioned by you first.

Thanks. :)

What abt surround speakers ? Do you intend to use your Sony speakers as surrounds ? (or) would u spend on surrounds/sub later..

What abt surround speakers ? Do you intend to use your Sony speakers as surrounds ? (or) would u spend on surrounds/sub later..

First centre => buy new Fronts replacing the existing sony => buy subwoofer => surround.

This is how I plan to proceed.

1) Sonus-2401 is rear ported, be careful . You may face some placement issues.
2) Do you really need a Centre at this stage? Building a full 5.1 around an already purchased centre speaker may be quite frustrating later on.
Just my 2Cents.

1) Sonus-2401 is rear ported, be careful . You may face some placement issues.
2) Do you really need a Centre at this stage? Building a full 5.1 around an already purchased centre speaker may be quite frustrating later on.
Just my 2Cents.

I don't think I will face too much trouble having 2401 as rear ported for placement. However, as per the Sonodyne website, 2401 does not exist. Guess it has been replaced by 2501.

Do I really need a centre at this stage? I already have a temporary fronts and want to add centre now and later on proceed to new fronts, sw and rear.

Do you have anything in mind? Should I go for something else now in stead of the centre?

I don't think I will face too much trouble having 2401 as rear ported for placement. However, as per the Sonodyne website, 2401 does not exist. Guess it has been replaced by 2501.

Do I really need a centre at this stage? I already have a temporary fronts and want to add centre now and later on proceed to new fronts, sw and rear.

Do you have anything in mind? Should I go for something else now in stead of the centre?

Even if the center speaker is rear ported, it doesn't matter much.. Even if there is going going to be less than 1 feet distance from the wall/ TV cabinet...

Only if the BS/FS are rear ported, you need some space behind...

Going for the center speaker now is the best option... Later you can add fronts, subwoofer & surrounds in a phased manner...

centre is mandatory for cinema..for true 6 ch or converted pl2 whetever..
even you can experiemnt..when your centre arrives..
disconnect/mute fronts..just play centre..and see
and see the reverse..no centre only fronts..

strctly..this applies to cinema only......music diff story

I am yet to finalize the speaker. Haven't got the time to demo Mordaunt Short Carnival series at SKS Traders. Any feedback on this one?

And also planning to visit Sonodyne showroom to demo their centre.

I am yet to finalize the speaker. Haven't got the time to demo Mordaunt Short Carnival series at SKS Traders. Any feedback on this one?

And also planning to visit Sonodyne showroom to demo their centre.

Try to demo Sonus C2401, Sonus C2501 (New model) & Avant LCR250 ... Also update the price of their new center channel Sonus C2501.

My observations were based on personal experience. During TV/ movies, Centre is the most active speaker. So when I placed it inside a cabinet, a big hole had to be cut in the back and the cabinet had to be shifted about 1' away from the wall to cut down the boomy sound. That's why I wrote- you might face some issues.
I also assumed that you may replace the Sony speakers entirely with a full fledged 5.1 later on. Thanks.

My observations were based on personal experience. During TV/ movies, Centre is the most active speaker. So when I placed it inside a cabinet, a big hole had to be cut in the back and the cabinet had to be shifted about 1' away from the wall to cut down the boomy sound. That's why I wrote- you might face some issues.
I also assumed that you may replace the Sony speakers entirely with a full fledged 5.1 later on. Thanks.

Yeah.. In tight spaces it might need some space to breathe...

Try to demo Sonus C2401, Sonus C2501 (New model) & Avant LCR250 ... Also update the price of their new center channel Sonus C2501.

I am planning to demo the Sonodyne soon and will update this place accordingly.

Thanks for your feedback. And I am planning to replace my existing Sony speakers once I build a full fledged 5.1 system.

There is a Dali centre speaker drom Delhi for sale in this forum within your budget. Pl check out.

vjc

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back