Speakers for Living room Home theatre

Venky1984

Hello All,

Have been going through lot of posts and found some amazing discussion which led me to become a member and finally a post.

Bit about me: Not an audiophile at all. Moving into an own apartment in 3 - 4 months, Planning for a 5.1.2 setup in my living room which measures (L 11 x B 14 feet). As I mentioned I am not audio enthusiast, recently upgraded to Sony 65 OLED ( after 12 years of owning 32 inch sony LCD) and wanted to go a good soundbar (Sony HT a9, sennhiser ambeo etc.) and was recommended for a HT setup by one of my friends. Thats when my research, audition began. Main usage will be for movie watching.

Some considerations: A big no for Floor-standers, Onwalls preferred for LR, Center channel can go on furniture, 3way preferred ( had this notion of 3 way were the best Ok to go with 2 way as well), SVS Subwoofer

With this I had almost finalised EVO series but the size of EVO 4.2 and the overall look and feel of living room was a downer.

At this point in time, I am inclined towards Dali Oberon or Opticon series with Onwalls doing the LR job and VOKAL center speaker. I have a budget of 5 lakhs max. 4 lakhs comfort 5 lakhs stretch. Auditioned both on different dates in different stores, could not tell much of a difference.

With Opticon - LR Opticon on wall, Vokal, Alteco C1 surround, Phantom E 50 ceiling
With Oberon - LR & Surround Oberon Onwall, Vokal, Phantom E 50 ceiling
Hybrid - LR & Surround Oberon Onwall, Opticon VOKAL, Phantom E 50 ceiling ( is this recommended??)

Denon 2700h receiver and SVS PB or SB 1000.

Need suggestion on speakers that will last long and keep enjoyable movie watching experience the same for long, not a person who would upgrade until broken.

Any other brands that I need to look at.

Thanks.

First of all welcome and congrats on at least narrowing down on some options !

In terms of build quality/ life time etc all of these would be very similar. the only area you need to be sure of is the sound and if that something you can live with. While I have no experience with your speakers, try to stick to one range/model for the Front/center and Left. The others do not really matter from sound quality but matching the sensitivity is important to ensure they sound similar across all volume ranges. hence i would go with one set across for all.

But again there are as many views as there are people so you will get a lot of inputs . just do remember you not go wrong and get a good sound from all your options.

Your choice of an in wall speaker is great for a 11x14 room as that will give you the space needed, the -ve being replacing may not be as easy. as long as you are ok with the above, you are good to go

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the audiophile world.

We too shifted to a new flat and before moving in had to sell off a lot of stuff. I was a firm Non Believer of soundbar. However with the now after listening to the likes of bose soundbar 900 and samsung q990b i feel these are more apt for a living room in a Flat.

Before you pull the trigger do check out these two sound bar options. They sound fantastic and have brilliant aesthetics.

MaSh

First of all welcome and congrats on at least narrowing down on some options !

In terms of build quality/ life time etc all of these would be very similar. the only area you need to be sure of is the sound and if that something you can live with. While I have no experience with your speakers, try to stick to one range/model for the Front/center and Left. The others do not really matter from sound quality but matching the sensitivity is important to ensure they sound similar across all volume ranges. hence i would go with one set across for all.

But again there are as many views as there are people so you will get a lot of inputs . just do remember you not go wrong and get a good sound from all your options.

Your choice of an in wall speaker is great for a 11x14 room as that will give you the space needed, the -ve being replacing may not be as easy. as long as you are ok with the above, you are good to go
Great thanks for your inputs, will stay with same brand n series for front 3!!

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the audiophile world.

We too shifted to a new flat and before moving in had to sell off a lot of stuff. I was a firm Non Believer of soundbar. However with the now after listening to the likes of bose soundbar 900 and samsung q990b i feel these are more apt for a living room in a Flat.

Before you pull the trigger do check out these two sound bar options. They sound fantastic and have brilliant aesthetics.

MaSh
Hi @MaSh i have crossed that stage, i have polk mini soundbar already... And wanted to explore HT setup...

Great thanks for your inputs, will stay with same brand n series for front 3!!

Hi @MaSh i have crossed that stage, i have polk mini soundbar already... And wanted to explore HT setup...
Polk mini is great but the ones I mentioned are at par with a HT setup wrt performance and have the looks to go with it. The bose especially can be used with a non Bose sub. Do audition them just for kicks and then decide. I could bd going HT to one of these.

MaSh

Polk mini is great but the ones I mentioned are at par with a HT setup wrt performance and have the looks to go with it. The bose especially can be used with a non Bose sub. Do audition them just for kicks and then decide. I could bd going HT to one of these.

MaSh
Hmmmm Wow din know Bose could be combined with non-bose sub !!! Sure thing let me check it out..

Now I remember why i din want to go for Bose soundbar... The surround speakers have a big power adapter which looked awkward...
Yes that they do. if you have a power supply close by then thats good. Its a toss up between running speaker wires across the room or power cable from a close by socket. I fortunately have power sockets close by on the back wall.

MaSh

Hello All,

Have been going through lot of posts and found some amazing discussion which led me to become a member and finally a post.

Bit about me: Not an audiophile at all. Moving into an own apartment in 3 - 4 months, Planning for a 5.1.2 setup in my living room which measures (L 11 x B 14 feet). As I mentioned I am not audio enthusiast, recently upgraded to Sony 65 OLED ( after 12 years of owning 32 inch sony LCD) and wanted to go a good soundbar (Sony HT a9, sennhiser ambeo etc.) and was recommended for a HT setup by one of my friends. Thats when my research, audition began. Main usage will be for movie watching.

Some considerations: A big no for Floor-standers, Onwalls preferred for LR, Center channel can go on furniture, 3way preferred ( had this notion of 3 way were the best Ok to go with 2 way as well), SVS Subwoofer

With this I had almost finalised EVO series but the size of EVO 4.2 and the overall look and feel of living room was a downer.

At this point in time, I am inclined towards Dali Oberon or Opticon series with Onwalls doing the LR job and VOKAL center speaker. I have a budget of 5 lakhs max. 4 lakhs comfort 5 lakhs stretch. Auditioned both on different dates in different stores, could not tell much of a difference.

With Opticon - LR Opticon on wall, Vokal, Alteco C1 surround, Phantom E 50 ceiling
With Oberon - LR & Surround Oberon Onwall, Vokal, Phantom E 50 ceiling
Hybrid - LR & Surround Oberon Onwall, Opticon VOKAL, Phantom E 50 ceiling ( is this recommended??)

Denon 2700h receiver and SVS PB or SB 1000.

Need suggestion on speakers that will last long and keep enjoyable movie watching experience the same for long, not a person who would upgrade until broken.

Any other brands that I need to look at.

Thanks.
Hi Venky congrats on the new apartment and congrats on working on the new setup. All very exciting news! If you are looking at the use case as mostly movie watching then look at a ported subwoofer because that will allow you to really achieve those low frequencies which may be required for certain movie scenes. Also consider the placement of your speakers very carefully. That will probably have the most impact on your final sound stage.

Hi Venky congrats on the new apartment and congrats on working on the new setup. All very exciting news! If you are looking at the use case as mostly movie watching then look at a ported subwoofer because that will allow you to really achieve those low frequencies which may be required for certain movie scenes. Also consider the placement of your speakers very carefully. That will probably have the most impact on your final sound stage.
Thanks for bringing this up, i have auditioned SVS PB 1000 till now and it kind of shakes furniture !!! Is it too big for my living space? Dali claim LR can go on wall next to tv no tilt required... I actually heard them at Music Ranch in Bengaluru next to TV and they sounded good...

Loudspeakers can last forever. The only reason they won't last if you end up not liking them over a period of time. Which is why it is important to listen to as many options you can find.

Don't rule out a floor stander. Listen to a few and compare the sound to a stand mount. Its perfectly alright if you can accommodate only a stand mount. The idea is to know and hear the difference before you put down your money as this is a long term purchase.

The EVO 4.2 is a little bigger than you average stand mount. Is best they are on stands than on a wall bracket.

Bangalore is filled with dozens of Hi Fi stores. Walk in and listen to as many options you can find. We can suggest several options however they don't have to please your ears or your aesthetics.

Listen to KEF, Polk Audio, PSB, etc.

Loudspeakers can last forever. The only reason they won't last if you end up not liking them over a period of time. Which is why it is important to listen to as many options you can find.

Don't rule out a floor stander. Listen to a few and compare the sound to a stand mount. Its perfectly alright if you can accommodate only a stand mount. The idea is to know and hear the difference before you put down your money as this is a long term purchase.

The EVO 4.2 is a little bigger than you average stand mount. Is best they are on stands than on a wall bracket.

Bangalore is filled with dozens of Hi Fi stores. Walk in and listen to as many options you can find. We can suggest several options however they don't have to please your ears or your aesthetics.

Listen to KEF, Polk Audio, PSB, etc.
Thats good to know !!! I checked evo 4.4 but then in the living space it was overwhelming thats when I turned to bookshelf. Bookshelf also rather looked a bit odd considering the space to be left behind overall it did not appeal aesthetically in living room.
Hence turned attention to Onwalls for LR, only Dali has Onwall LCR along with Box center in all of their series.

Thanks for bringing this up, i have auditioned SVS PB 1000 till now and it kind of shakes furniture !!! Is it too big for my living space? Dali claim LR can go on wall next to tv no tilt required... I actually heard them at Music Ranch in Bengaluru next to TV and they sounded good...
Hi Venky, can you share the dimensions of your room? I don't think a single 10 inch will be too powerful for your room. The gain can be lowered and should be set to be level with your remaining speakers. If the subwoofer overpowers the remaining speakers you are going to be left with very boomy and bass heavy sound. If you keep your speakers just next to the television you are not achieving the proper listening angle required as per industry standards. Basically your left, center and right will be too close to each other in comparison to your seating distance and you will not be able to differentiate between the three speakers. For home theater listening you want to try and keep a 45 to 60 degree listening angle between your seating position and the LR speakers. Hope this helps Venky.

Hi Venky, can you share the dimensions of your room? I don't think a single 10 inch will be too powerful for your room. The gain can be lowered and should be set to be level with your remaining speakers. If the subwoofer overpowers the remaining speakers you are going to be left with very boomy and bass heavy sound. If you keep your speakers just next to the television you are not achieving the proper listening angle required as per industry standards. Basically your left, center and right will be too close to each other in comparison to your seating distance and you will not be able to differentiate between the three speakers. For home theater listening you want to try and keep a 45 to 60 degree listening angle between your seating position and the LR speakers. Hope this helps Venky.
14 feet width and 11 feet length... One side is opens to balcony and other to dinning..

14 feet width and 11 feet length... One side is opens to balcony and other to dinning..
On the side which is open to the balcony is there a window there? Can you put thick curtains to cover the glass? Side which opens to the dining is it completely open or a door there which opens to the dining room? Thanks

On the side which is open to the balcony is there a window there? Can you put thick curtains to cover the glass? Side which opens to the dining is it completely open or a door there which opens to the dining room? Thanks
Yes a large glass door... Dining side is also completely open... Yeah double curtain is gonna be there on glass door side...

Thats almost similar to my previous flat and my lonewolf SVS PB1000 sounded awesome. I had smaller subs prior to it and they felt inadequate.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back