Speakers for Marantz AV 7005 + MM7055

hifiGreen

I have got Marantz pre-pro AV7005 and MM7055 as amp.
What could be a suitable speaker system and subwoofer.
Will PolkAudio, Klipsch suit here?

pretty powerful amp...should be able to drive most speakers with ease
pick what suits ur ears...u can do much better than polk. check PSB and Dali

Thanks for the reference of PSB, Klipsch and Dali.
The MM7055 has the following specification:
It has 5 channels.
Rated power output: 140W/ch, 8 ohms
(From 20Hz to 20KHv/THD = 0.08%, 170W/ch, 6 ohms
Two channel Driven)

Maximum effective output power: 210W/ch, 6 ohms
(From 1 kHz, two channel driven)

I talked to Marantz customer care and they confirmed that in MM7055, all 5 channels can't be driven at 140W/Ch simultaneously. At any time two channels can be driven that at the maximum rated output. They said, while listening stereo music, you have two channels only so you will get 140W in both channels. While watching movie all 5 channels do not need 140W/ch at the same time. So you never need 700W at the same time while watching a movie.

I have got myself, Polk Audio CSI-A6 for central.
Also I have got 4 , FXI-A4 for surround and back speakers.
My brother-in-law was coming from US, so bought those from there.

Now I need the front Floor standing Towers and the sub.

With the above background, should I compulsorily take Polk Audio RTI-A7/RTI-A5 as front Towers as the central is already Polk CSI-A6?

Or I can think of PSB/Dali/Klipsch.

The RTI-A7 seems to be a 300W speaker.
Will Marantz MM7055 with 140W@8ohm be able to drive it properly?

Also is it good to have 3-Way fronts if one has a sub as well?

After the front, I will buy the sub soon.

I will think if sub is there to take care of the low range, why spend money to have 3 way speaker which can take care of low end?

Or is it the reverse way?

Three-way speakers have two dedicated speakers for Low , one for mid and one for high.
Two-way speakers have two speakers to take care of Low+Mid and one for high. So mid range may not be reproduced as good in a two-way speaker as in a three-way speaker.

Here is some reference of RTI-A7 and RTI-A5.

RTI-A7 (3 way)
Equipped with a single 6.5-inch polymer composite cone driver and dual 7-inch polymer composite subwoofers
Equipped with one 1-inch silk/polymer composite dome tweeter
Driver Configuration2x 7" woofer, 1x 6.5" midrange, 1x 1" Tweeter

RTI-A5 (2 way)
Equipped with dual 6.5-inch dynamic balance mineral/polymer composite cone drivers
Equipped with one 1-inch silk/polymer composite dome tweeter
Driver Configuration: 2x 6.5" Mid/woofer, 1x 1" Tweeter

My current usage will be, 90% music and 10% movie
Later it might go max upto 80% music and 20% movie. So music mostly.

In a Nut shell:
If I will have a sub-woofer, Should I go for 3-way speaker (From Polk, Dali, PSB) to get better mid range perhaps?

Should I go for Polk necessarily as the central is from Polk, or it does not matter and I can audition few Towers and take some other brands as well.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post.

Last edited:
Mine are diy-for more info do a search for Audax HT speakers.The designer is an ustaad called Joe D'Appolito, who is the person who first came up with the D'Appolito speaker design, nowadays also called MTM speakers.

Amp is also a diy, it uses 5 Hypex UcD(Universal Class D ) speaker modules, originally designed by Philips Holland. 180wpc@ 4 ohms and 100wpc @ 8 ohms.

They combine very well and the AV 7005 is an excellent pre pro.

I have got Marantz pre-pro AV7005 and MM7055 as amp.
What could be a suitable speaker system and subwoofer.
Will PolkAudio, Klipsch suit here?

You didn't mention the budget...Since you have the Pre-Power combo from Marantz, i hope you should have a very good budget :licklips:

Try the Sonodyne Avant Range....I believe they were made specifically for HT purpose....

Welcome To Sonodyne

These speakers are made of Aluminium & not MDF/Wood :eek:hyeah:.. I never heard the oppurtunity to listen to them, but they should be good...

Sonodyne Avant 345 FS (~ 70K) + Avant LCR 250 ( ~ 15K) + Avant 150 surrounds (~ 20K).....

For Subwoofer also i would suggest Sonodyne Studio Monitor series SLF 200/210... (~ 25 - 30K)

Audition & share your feedback....

Thanks Elangos,

I will visit the chroma store in Gurgaon to see if they have the Sonodyne range and share my feedback.

I auditioned PolkAudio RTI A7, Energy and Yamaha soavo-1 yesterday.
I listen Hindi Music only from 70s, 80s to till date.

Polk Audio:
The guys at MGF Mall, Gurgaon, Studio 4 were very cordial and helpful.
Somehow I did not find the punch in the RTI-A7. May be the MM7055 was under powering the RTI-A7. When voice + Music were coming, they were not distinct and I felt nothing special sound with the Marantz AV7005+MM7055.
The owner told me that RTI-A9 will sound better but I doubt that. RTI-A9 is 400+ watts and MM7055 is 140watts@8ohms.

Energy:
Do not remember the model, Cost was around 87K. Was bit better than Polk RTI-A7 but again did not found the fidelity that I was expecting from the Maranz pair. It was bit bright than Polk.At that moment I thought, perhaps I have got some high expectation from the Pre-pro + Amp, which is not realistic.

Yamaha:
Auditioned with Soavo-1 Fllor standing speakers and Soavo 9000SW sub. The shop owner was again very friendly and spent more than 2 hours with me, different visitors coming in between. He made few adjustments for BASS as well in the pre-pro.
I liked the overall thump and fidelity of the Soavo-1 speakers. The vocals and music were clearly distinguishable and were more clear sounding. Perhaps I like it the bright way a bit. Soavo01 was around 1.35L and Soavo000SW sub was around 65K. He can offer some good disocount once finalized. Could not find many reviews of the Soavo series in google. Has anybody got any experience of the Yamaha speakers. I asked the storeman, if these are sounding so great, why Yamaha speakers are not in the news. He told me taht Yamaha is primarily Amplifier brand and hence people are unaware of the speakers.

BTW. my budget will be around 1.5L Plus/Minus for the Front tower speakers + sub woofer. Can go uoto 2 Lakhs if I feel the punch and feel the speaker is worth the money. My main usage is 90% Music + 10% HT. I have already got the Polk Audio CSI-A6 central and 4 FXI-A4 surround speakers.

I talked to Lakozy in Delhi for PSB T6 and they are out of stock. He advised
PSB Imagine T2 speakers. Any body possess the PSB T2, please advise. Will it go well with Marantz AV7005" MM7055?

What other speakers should I audition with the following power spec.
140wpc @8 ohms for MM7055.

Thanks for reading :)

Now 140w/ch is tearing power :eek:hyeah: Any speaker will not need 140w all the times..only fewtimes/ sometimes....

More power is always good :licklips:

For a speaker the important specification is efficiency/sensitivity (db) rating... For a FS anything more than 90db is very good and it means you will need less amplifier power...

For the power that MM7055 has, it can easily bring the best out of 86+db FS....

As far as my experience with Marantz receivers, they sound best when Source direct/Pure direct mode is engaged...

Next time when u play any music check if this feature is engaged...Any other tweaking (Bass & treble adjustments) will spoil the music IMO & am sure abt it...:)

Since you have a very good budget, you can look for Monitor Audio / Paradigm / DALI / B & W / Wharfedale / Jamo / Mission in no order of preference...

Me too using a similar setup like yours but at the least scale:eek:hyeah:.. Marantz receiver SR5200 as Pre-amplifier powered by a 120W/channel Sonodyne stereo power amplifier...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back