speakers for marantz pm 7001 ki signature integrated amplifier

adityas174

Hi guys,

Im new to the world of hifi audio, i currently own a marantz pm 7001 ki signature integrated amp, 70 watt rms - 4 ohm and 100 watt rms - 8 ohm, im looking to get new speakers for this amp, which one would you suggest? i checked out the klipsich rf 52, rf 62 and rf 82, i really enjoyed the rf 82 but there a little over my budget (are they worth the extra money? also considering rf 62, they are close)....im also getting a used dali ikon 6, any views, pls help me choose a system and speaker suggestions are welcome...thanks!

Hi,
The marantx pm7001 KI amplifier is a very good amplifier. Can you elaborate on the following so that we can make a more informed suggestion on the speaker:
- What is your budget?
- Are you looking for a pure stereo (music) setup or a setup for both music and movies?
- Do you prefer a bookshelf or a Floorstander?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- What is the size of the room that you will be using? For small to medium size rooms, a bookshelf might be a better option than a Floorstander
- What is your source for playing music - CD, PC etc?
- Is most of your music stored in MP3, CD, Cassette or LP?

Let us know about the above, and we can all chip in to help you select.

Best,
APK

Im looking at mostly music with a little bit of movies thrown in, im not particular about bookshelves or floorstanders, i listen to a lot of hindi music, classical and fusion, the approx size of my room is 250 - 300 sq ft, most of my music is mp3 from a pc followed by lp's and then cd, im considering the klipsch rf 52 along with a misssion ms10 amp for the extra bass that i like, or would the dali ikon 6 for rs. 40,000 be better?

guys that answers all your question..... pls help so i can get my hands on the speakers soon

oh forgot, my budget can be streched to 1 lac but id prefer limiting it to around 60,000, im getting the used dali ikon 6 for 40,000 and the klipsch rf 52 for around 58 k, the rf 62 for 70 k and the rf 82 for 98 k....

In my opinion Marantz paired with the Dali will be bright. You need a warmer speaker to match, like Man & Wife.;)

so then which speaker would you suggest? how about the klipsch fr 52?

AFAIK, Klipsch is also known to be a bright speaker. Like heliumflight said, the pairing with the Marantz may be too bright.

Since you have access to Klipsch speakers, one option would be to carry your amplifier along with your music and audition them with the Klipsch speakers.

Rs 1 Lac is a very good budget for a speaker, and you can get lots of good speakers for that money. In my opinion, you should also check out brands such as Quad, Rega, Wharfedale (Jade series), Tannoy, Monitor Audio, PSB, Epos, etc before you take a decision.

Best,
APK

AFAIK, Klipsch is also known to be a bright speaker. Like heliumflight said, the pairing with the Marantz may be too bright.

Since you have access to Klipsch speakers, one option would be to carry your amplifier along with your music and audition them with the Klipsch speakers.

Rs 1 Lac is a very good budget for a speaker, and you can get lots of good speakers for that money. In my opinion, you should also check out brands such as Quad, Rega, Wharfedale (Jade series), Tannoy, Monitor Audio, PSB, Epos, etc before you take a decision.

Best,
APK

thanks apk, i auditioned the dali ikon 6 mk 2 today with my amp and found it good but something bout them did not appeal as i thought the sound was not as open as id like although the bass was really tight and nice, when i did audition the klipsch last week bright or not, I enjoyed them esp the rf 82 but the rf 52 with a sub was good too......im doing a little thinking and im of the opinion that since a lot of my music is in mp3, spending so much money on speakers may not be such a good idea, so now im looking at a more modest 60 k budget.....ur opinions please, thanks

There are many philosophies to building a decent stereo system. If you read around in the forum, you will find that most folks here will recommend that to have a good music system, you will need

1. A good pair of speakers - Floor standing or Bookshelf
2. A good amplifier (either integrated or pre-power combo)
3. A good source to play music (this could either be a CD player or a PC/Laptop+DAC). There are other alternatives also, but let's keep it simple
4. Decent quality cables (speaker cables and interconnects)

A good rule of thumb is to split your budget into:
- 35% for speakers
- 35% for amplifiers
- 20-25% for source
- 5% for cables

Also, for good quality music reproduction, your music itself has to be of good quality. Thus your music should be either in LPs, CDs or digital (ripped in lossless mode). Low quality mp3 files played through a good stereo system will sound bad (garbage in garbage out). No point trying to set up an expensive stereo system if you are going to play poor quality mp3 files.

Another important fact is that system synergy is very important, ie. the synergy between all the components in the system. This is where Forums such as ours can really help you out.

Hope these general guidelines will help you get started. Now you already have the amplifier, so that is one part down. However, since you have already selected the amplifier, the synergy with your next set of components will become very important.

Best,
APK

Last edited:
Also try KEF Q900 , Q700 and the R300(3 way bookshelf) and also the Monitor Audio RX6, RX8 and GX100(2 way bookshelf), GX50(2 way Bookshelf). A lot of awesome speakers are in the 1lakh price range so I would suggest you to fix the budget around 1 lakh for speakers.
And Klipsch is purely for HT purpose, they are not even close to neutral and they are not smooth nor warm. They are very bright (I even felt them to be harsh at their high frequencies). But all that matters is, what you like, so if you like klipsch then thats the way to go, however I would suggest you to listen to the KEF's, especially the R series and the Monitor audio Gold and silver series before finalising on the Klipsch.

thanks apk, i auditioned the dali ikon 6 mk 2 today with my amp and found it good but something bout them did not appeal as i thought the sound was not as open as id like although the bass was really tight and nice, when i did audition the klipsch last week bright or not, I enjoyed them esp the rf 82 but the rf 52 with a sub was good too......im doing a little thinking and im of the opinion that since a lot of my music is in mp3, spending so much money on speakers may not be such a good idea, so now im looking at a more modest 60 k budget.....ur opinions please, thanks

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back