speakers for musical fidelity a5 amps

gnanasekhar

Hai guys, I am searching for matching speakers for my Stereo setup.
CD Player: Arcam CD17
AMP: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated
Interconnects: Kimber Kable Hero.
Room Size: 11x17x10
Now I am having a pair of Dynaudio Audio 70 Speakers, and I am not fully satisfied with my current setup. Please help with your valuable suggestions.
I want a little more depth.
Waiting for your valuable sueestions.

My budget is upto Rs.75,000/- (considering preowned items also)
Listen mostly Western Classical/Choral Music/ABBA/West Life/Beach Boys/ etc.
The mids and highs are ok. But the Bass is not upto my expectation and I need a pair of speakers which is more forgiving pl.

Hi Sekhar,
Bass not upto expectation even with Dynaudio 70 + MF A5 !!!:eek::eek::eek:

From what I've read (not so fortunate people like me have to contend with print exposure only:sad:) MF A5 has the balls to shake bass out of any spkr.

Dyn 70 may be their entry level line, but compared to similarly priced MA, Dali, etc. they are expected to kick serious butt with an amp like MF A5...

Can you give reference of any other spkr-amp combo that delivered the bass you are looking for? A reference will make things easier for our Audio gurus to recommend.

Regds,

My budget is upto Rs.75,000/- (considering preowned items also)
Listen mostly Western Classical/Choral Music/ABBA/West Life/Beach Boys/ etc.
The mids and highs are ok. But the Bass is not upto my expectation and I need a pair of speakers which is more forgiving pl.

Room acoustics play a big part in the way you experience the bass produced by your speakers and amp, which in my opinion aren't bad.

If you really need in your gut kind of bass, best to buy a good subwoofer like REL which is fast enough to keep pace with the music.

My Stereo setup:
Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated
Kimber Kable Hero.

Well, the weakest link in your audio chain, IMO, is the CD17. Remember, it's just an entry level cdp from Arcam FMJ series and not an exceptional product so to speak, so can't demand from them more, musically.

That said, if you're in no mood to upgrade your cdp, then I'd jump in for the speaker recommendation. For MF amps, I'd look more into Monitor Audio speakers, excellent synergy between the two; even MA recommends MF amps for their speakers. For your budget, I'd suggest the new MA RX6 speakers (around your budget), excellent bass and sound across the frequency spectrum. The RX6 will play your kind of music with enough grunt and musicality when pitted with the MF amp.

But, there is one more option - MA GS20, could be expensive, but stunning speakers.

:)

Try marantz cdps try with a good pre power combination to drive dyna. In other words change the dyna. In my experience dyna needs good power amp with high damping. Since your other set up s good go for dali mentor. After burn in time you will thank me.

@gnanasekhar
I remember you had shown an interest in my Nad cdp/amp when I put them up for sale.Well,with the Arcam CD17/MF A5/Kimber Kable you have certainly come up with a far better setup.Congratulations!
For the speakers I would recommend Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand available at Boomarang,Mumbai.You can call Gratin at 09820949395 to find out if he still has them.I bought their bigger brother the Beethoven Baby Grand and they are fantastic!Especially on western classical music.My speaker search has reached the pot at the end of the rainbow.No more upgrades for a long long time.However I am still looking for a good high powered amp.Had centered in on Musical Fidelity A5 but unfortunately Audio People Chennai had sold their last one a few weeks back.Where did you get it from?
* If you check out the Vienna Acoustic website (http://www.viennaacoustics.at/03_Mozart_Grand_V02_WEB150.pdf)the Mozart has one 6" driver for the lower frequencies whereas the Beethoven Baby Grand has two.While my speakers have more than enough bass,the Mozart would be a little less so an audition would be desirable.
* Another speaker you could look at is the Proac Studio 140.

Last edited:
@ajay
I got the amp from Mr.Prakasam from Chennai and he once told me that you were also looking for that amp. What will be the price of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand?

Its a small small world!The same gentleman also had a Sonus Faber Domus Concerto which I had set my heart on.Unfortunately the deal fell through.Totally my fault.Make your choice between the Mozart Grand and the Sonus Faber.Both highly musical and refined speakers.I think you will have a wonderful setup which will provide you many years of bliss.If the speakers are more than your present budget it would be better to wait rather than waste money on another mediocre speaker.After all my auditions/telephone calls/research on the net etc.etc I have come to the conclusion that in India there are no decent speakers to be had for under a lakh.By decent I mean speakers which will keep the dreaded shedog called upgrade at bay for a few years.As for the prices I feel the respective sellers will give you the best quotes.In my experience with both of them I found their pricing extremely reasonable.

Last edited:
Hai guys, I am searching for matching speakers for my Stereo setup.
AMP: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated
Interconnects: Kimber Kable Hero.
Room Size: 11x17x10
Now I am having a pair of Dynaudio Audio 70 Speakers, and I am not fully satisfied with my current setup. Please help with your valuable suggestions.
I want a little more depth.
Waiting for your valuable sueestions.

I am assuming you are looking for bookshelves.

For the CDP and amp combo, you have a large no. of options - Quad, Totem, B&W, MA, JM Labs, ProAc and Revel.

The most popular combinations are with B&W and Quad.

The MF is quite analytical amp and so are the Dynaudios, this could be the reason you might be finding them unsatisfactory.

I first heard about the Sonus Faber Domus speakers from Audio Engineer A_E.
Then I did some reading on the legendary Franco Serblin founder of Sonus Faber and the brain behind the Domus range.Mr.Serblin has since taken on a more passive role.The Liuto series got a new designer Paolo Tezzon.I have auditioned the Liuto's in Delhi and they are magnifique!The Domus range according to A_E and I would take his word for it are far far better....
Sincerely,trade in your Dynaudio's,get the rest of the cash together and POUNCE on the Domus Concertos if they are still around.Arcam cdp/MF amp/Kimber IC's and the Domus Concertos......the number of audiophiles lucky enough to have a set up like that in India would be very very limited!

Does anyone know the price of Monitor audio gs20 and gr20?

Hi Sekar, please dont be hurry to change your system. Be patient.

The source is very important. You just try to add a DAC. You can

consider 'DACMagic' or Beresford Caiman. I am sure, Definitely you will be

convinced! But be sure to connect a correct Digital Coax(75 Ohms) cable.

I think that your CDP yielding thin & sharp (nature of Arcam) sound.

Regards,
sunder.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back