Speakers Suggestions for complete noob.. help me!!

ankit_17

Hi all,

I want to setup a good sound system for my room, so while searching bose v35 , i read that other manufacturer speakers are also good. So i want to know all the suggestions from you guys. My budget is 1.5L. Mostly(80%) for home audio , rarely for video, gaming. So far i've heard names of Focal,Denon,Polk Audio,JBL,Harman Kardon,Klipsch. Kindly help me out. I want to buy soon, i'm from gurgoan.

Regards,
Ankit

If music is your preference then you should go for an integrated amplifier and a pair of speakers, as opposed to an AVR and 5.1 speakers. However with your budget you can get a decent AVR which will perform alright in stereo mode for music as well.
The budget also affords you different options, before you invest it is important that you listen to few alternatives first. Gurgaon / Delhi has many dealers that you can visit and listen to different brands. You will find that different combinations and brands sound different and you will prefer one's sound signature over another, you must explore your options and listen before you part with your cash.
Listen to the brands that you mentioned.

I would keep the Dali Zensor 5/7 speakers on my shortlist.

Try to do audition in gurgaon...in sound by design...epos speakers are very good and extremely value for money..only extensive audition can give you some help..

You have a good budget and can afford very nice system, just don't be in a hurry. I suggest you spend more time in going through this forum and read what others have done with a similar budget and what were the results.

Hi all,
..........My budget is 1.5L. Mostly(80%) for home audio , rarely for video, gaming. So far i've heard names of Focal,Denon,Polk Audio,JBL,Harman Kardon,Klipsch..........

Regards,
Ankit

Dear Ankit,
I strongly suggest, you maintain two audio setups... one for Stereo-audio and another for Home Theater. For Home Theater package keep 40k aside (this will cover AVR, spkrs, active subwoofer, cables and DVD player). The remaining cash should get you a decent mid-level stereo setup comprising of CD Player*, amp, speakers and cables.
*If you are ok with computer based operation, I would suggest a PC /Laptop with DAC, instead of CDP.

Let me know what you think... then I can suggest more details accordingly.

Regds,

If music is your preference then you should go for an integrated amplifier and a pair of speakers, as opposed to an AVR and 5.1 speakers. However with your budget you can get a decent AVR which will perform alright in stereo mode for music as well.
The budget also affords you different options, before you invest it is important that you listen to few alternatives first. Gurgaon / Delhi has many dealers that you can visit and listen to different brands. You will find that different combinations and brands sound different and you will prefer one's sound signature over another, you must explore your options and listen before you part with your cash.
Listen to the brands that you mentioned.

I would keep the Dali Zensor 5/7 speakers on my shortlist.

can you suggest some place where i can go and take demo ?

Dear Ankit,
I strongly suggest, you maintain two audio setups... one for Stereo-audio and another for Home Theater. For Home Theater package keep 40k aside (this will cover AVR, spkrs, active subwoofer, cables and DVD player). The remaining cash should get you a decent mid-level stereo setup comprising of CD Player*, amp, speakers and cables.
*If you are ok with computer based operation, I would suggest a PC /Laptop with DAC, instead of CDP.

Let me know what you think... then I can suggest more details accordingly.

Regds,

I want to go for single setup only, this one i'm going to use for mainly music. Can you suggest any model ? Going blank at the shop might be a bad idea.

Nah, never heard about it... i have already written i don't know where to go , otherwise i wouldn't have asked here. Anyways, i can do it by my own from here.
Hahaha..nice try...but uncle google will tell about it...anyway auditions is the main key.and after shortlisting come to this place and ask for suggestions..

It's better to go blank, trust me... Choose what's best for your ears. For your budget I would recommend a Integrated Amp + pair of bookshelves and stands, assuming you have a good source or you might have to squeeze that in as well.
Search for hifi stores nearby, take pains to even go to the nearby cities. Most of all take time and don't Rush with your purchase.

1) For music you are looking at an integrated amplifier + pair of speakers + Subwoofer (optional).
Quality amplifier brands : Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Denon to start with, the higher you go with your budget you get better names and quality too.

2) For movies you are looking at a receiver + pair of front speakers + center speaker + rear surrounds + subwoofer (optional again).
A common practice here is to get good quality receiver and quality front speakers (Bookshelves / Towers) + a center speaker and then later get a subwoofer and surround speakers to complete your setup.

You will have to decide what you wish to go for, search in the forum, read old threads and you will get lots of information and a 101 course in quality audio, and you will not go blank to a store and will have some idea of what to look for.
To get some idea of prices visit India's audio video home theatre and hi-fi shopping mart and explore.

Plan for auditions by carrying your own music. CDs or pen-drive.

Suggest only integrated amp + speakers for you. Source too is pretty important, so, no short-cuts here. Other than Sound-by-Design, check out Bass N Treble in your area.

What's the room dimensions? What kind of music do you listen to? The budget looks quite good for a long-keep purchase, IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll go and then i'ill share my experience here. Sony BD cost 10-15 max, i saw harman bd player and it was for 75k!!That's a huge price difference!!
I have auditioned Sony Shake 66D, what's your intake on this machine ?

today i went to check out polk tsx550 with onkyo amp... i liked them... but this was my first demo.. hope to check out others soon...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back