Speakers suitable for hindi old recordings and mix of others genres

vkhandelwal

I have beoplay A1. Listening old songs on that is a treat. the low end and vocals are sweet and tight.
May be because it is a single driver unit speaker ( most of the songs till 80's were recorded in mono)
For me none of sound setup I have ,monitor audio floor stander with yamaha rx 685 receiver or whrfedale 220 with marantz stereo 7004 amp or jbl active monitors 306 mk2 with focusrite sound controller , do not shine for older recordings like b&o beoplay A1. This small speaker is simply very good
I listen to old songs ( RD burman ) ghazals, mark knopfler, acoustic music ,new hindi songs and variety of other genres
Any suggestion for speakers which could give me a similar sound signature with my mranatz 7004 amp ?

I have beoplay A1. Listening old songs on that is a treat. the low end and vocals are sweet and tight.
May be because it is a single driver unit speaker ( most of the songs till 80's were recorded in mono)
For me none of sound setup I have ,monitor audio floor stander with yamaha rx 685 receiver or whrfedale 220 with marantz stereo 7004 amp or jbl active monitors 306 mk2 with focusrite sound controller , do not shine for older recordings like b&o beoplay A1. This small speaker is simply very good
I listen to old songs ( RD burman ) ghazals, mark knopfler, acoustic music ,new hindi songs and variety of other genres
Any suggestion for speakers which could give me a similar sound signature with my mranatz 7004 amp ?
Try a pair of Quad S2s. Fantastic with the kind of music you specified. Brilliant with both old and newer hindi numbers and their ability to reproduce instrumental pieces and classical music with vocal realism is exceptional. And if you care about imaging, you'll be in for a treat.

Does not play great with hip hop and R&B however or for that matter, tracks which rely upon deep bass.

All digital media. locally stored files over bluetooth or stream through ipad using apple music or prime. Was earlier using logitech squeezebox but now use bluedento bluetooth receiver connected with amp
Which Bluetooth receiver are you using?

Bluetooth is usually a terrible way to play Audio unless you've got a capable Bluetooth receiver with AptxHD or LDAC.

Try a pair of Quad S2s. Fantastic with the kind of music you specified. Brilliant with both old and newer hindi numbers and their ability to reproduce instrumental pieces and classical music with vocal realism is exceptional. And if you care about imaging, you'll be in for a treat.

Does not play great with hip hop and R&B however or for that matter, tracks which rely upon deep bass.
Thank you ? Hip hop and r&b is not what i am into. Will keep quad in my list
they might not be a direct compare but how do they compare with wharfedale ?

Which Bluetooth receiver are you using?

Bluetooth is usually a terrible way to play Audio unless you've got a capable Bluetooth receiver with AptxHD or LDAC.
Had purchased bluedento one from amazon us

Supports HD and aptx codec and comes with burr brown DAC

Sir I have Sony 3way made in Japan speakers, dual m agnet drives, mint condition, good quality sounding & very nice cosmetics, 10inch drives, I think this suitable for you music taste, this speakers around 25 to 30 years old, # 100 working condition. 100 mint condition, 90 percent cosmetics, 100 percent no repair history, if you interested in buying , I sent you original picture & videos speakers
10 inch drivers will be too big for me..

Thank you ? Hip hop and r&b is not what i am into. Will keep quad in my list
I have the Wharfedale Evo 4.2s also and i like the Quads over them. The Quads do everything better except bass extension. However, bass is much tighter and faster in the Quads compared to the Wharfedale and for extension, I've got the Quads paired with a REL so it's a non issue. In my books, a sub is a must unless you've got really good full range speakers paired with a mighty amp.

The standout for the Quads are the midrange and treble courtesy the ribbon tweeter. Female voices also sound exceptional.

Had purchased bluedento one from amazon us

Supports HD and aptx codec and comes with burr brown DAC
My amp supports AptxHD and LDAC but my phone only has aptx and not AptxHD or LDAC. Connecting from the source through usb/optical to the amp sounds substantially better than Bluetooth aptx

Will keep quad in my list
I have the Quad S2's and Wharfedale D225's. I agree with @DB1989 's assessment of the Quads. The wharfedale D225's are good speakers in themselves and bass is more prominent on them but the Quads are more refined and their mids and highs are indeed very good. It does not mean that the Quads don't have any bass. They do. Just not 'in your face' kind of bass as in the D225's.

I keep rotating my fronts between the Quad 12L2's, D225's and the Quad S2's. Have to say, I like them all.

I have the Wharfedale Evo 4.2s also and i like the Quads over them. The Quads do everything better except bass extension. However, bass is much tighter and faster in the Quads compared to the Wharfedale and for extension, I've got the Quads paired with a REL so it's a non issue. In my books, a sub is a must unless you've got really good full range speakers paired with a mighty amp.

The standout for the Quads are the midrange and treble courtesy the ribbon tweeter. Female voices also sound exceptional.

My amp supports AptxHD and LDAC but my phone only has aptx and not AptxHD or LDAC. Connecting from the source through usb/optical to the amp sounds substantially better than Bluetooth aptx
Usb/ digital would be surely better than bluetooth . However the media is still low resolution as it Hard to find HD version of hindi songs even for new one ,forget the old recordings . Used to convert from cd to lossless sometime back and play it from squeezebox ,but for anything hindi older than 2000 i was not able to Justify the efforts for audible difference. In the end using the max bitrate quality offered by itunes and saregama is what i have settled with occasional flac or hd tracks

Folks any more input . How is wharfedale 11.2 compared with evo 4.1? Not able to find quad s1/s2 .
What about qacoustic concept 20 or 3030i any feedback on those?

Folks any more input . How is wharfedale 11.2 compared with evo 4.1? Not able to find quad s1/s2 .
What about qacoustic concept 20 or 3030i any feedback on those?
For your needs, next to Quad S and Wharfedale Dentons, I'd suggest the Castle Knight 2, and they are available with Hifimart. Enjoying these speakers for four years now, and can't think of upgrading to any other under 1.5-2 lacs. The mids/vocals make old songs (Hindi, Ghazals, Country etc) absolutely delightful to listen to, without any fatigue whatsoever. Bass is ample for a BS (and good enough for instruments like Tabla and other Indian drums), but these speakers aren't for electronic music. Also they won't provide the scintillating highs of a ribbon tweeter, but what they reproduce is very sweet and airy. In short, they are good match for lyrical, melodious, acoustic music. I had no clue about them when I visited HIfimart back then to audition the Wharfedales. When Anil understood my tastes, he made me listen to the Knight 2. I was carrying my favourite CDs - the first I heard with the Castles was one of Noor Jehan's old songs The way these speakers brought out the melody and engaged me, I was sold. Everything else I was carrying, from Hariharan to Norah Jones, sounded wonderful to me. It still does, after all these years. The price/value equation is also quite attractive for these speakers and their matched veneer looks would appeal to the classic aesthetic.

(QAcoustics are all-rounders in this price range... and therefore quite popular. More advisable to those who don't have a specific genre/sound signature in mind. Evo, while they can be played with budget amps, would need better amplification to bring out their best)

Last edited by a moderator:
Castle Knight mentioned above is a good choice for retro Hindi (assuming Bollywood ) music, provided you have LPs or early edition CDs.

Even better option would be Tannoy MGs but that would be very difficult to procure.

Edit : Just noticed you mentioned Bluetooth streaming as a source from Apple Music \ Prime. If this is post 90s Bollywood it shouldn’t be that much of an issue but prior to nineties , the quality of digitisation is very poor on all platforms in most cases. Speakers or amps can’t help much here.

Last edited:
For your needs, next to Quad S and Wharfedale Dentons, I'd suggest the Castle Knight 2, and they are available with Hifimart. Enjoying these speakers for four years now, and can't think of upgrading to any other under 1.5-2 lacs. The mids/vocals make old songs (Hindi, Ghazals, Country etc) absolutely delightful to listen to, without any fatigue whatsoever. Bass is ample for a BS (and good enough for instruments like Tabla and other Indian drums), but these speakers aren't for electronic music. Also they won't provide the scintillating highs of a ribbon tweeter, but what they reproduce is very sweet and airy. In short, they are good match for lyrical, melodious, acoustic music. I had no clue about them when I visited HIfimart back then to audition the Wharfedales. When Anil understood my tastes, he made me listen to the Knight 2. I was carrying my favourite CDs - the first I heard with the Castles was one of Noor Jehan's old songs The way these speakers brought out the melody and engaged me, I was sold. Everything else I was carrying, from Hariharan to Norah Jones, sounded wonderful to me. It still does, after all these years. The price/value equation is also quite attractive for these speakers and their matched veneer looks would appeal to the classic aesthetic.

(QAcoustics are all-rounders in this price range... and therefore quite popular. More advisable to those who don't have a specific genre/sound signature in mind. Evo, while they can be played with budget amps, would need better amplification to bring out their best)
Thank you sachin. Your response is very helpful. I have marantz 7004 . Should they be able to drive evo and other speakers well. I would wish to audition speakers but due to current situation i don't think it would be possible. For castle knight the big form factor is bit concern for me.

Friends I am looking for a match for songs like..

Billy joel - piano man, always a woman
Mark knopfler - sultans of swing, borther in arms, sailing to philadelphia, money for nothing
Bryan adams , eric clapton unplugged, hotel california, comfortably numb
Acoustic guitar - tommy emmanuel, chet atkins
Asha bhonsle - yehi wo jagah, mera kuch saman
Mohd rafi - hui shaam unka, tum jo mil gaye ho, dil jo na keh saka
Kishore kumar - phir wohi raat hai, jane kya soch kar, thandi hawa ye chandani
Jagjit singh- koi ye kaise, baat niklegi,kabhi yun bhi tou ho
RD burman - any from the boss
Kailash kher- saiyaan, chandan mein
Sonu nigam , Arijit singh - abhi mujh mein kahin, spana jahan, tum hi ho, phir mohabbat,

your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Castle Knight mentioned above is a good choice for retro Hindi (assuming Bollywood ) music, provided you have LPs or early edition CDs.

Even better option would be Tannoy MGs but that would be very difficult to procure.

Edit : Just noticed you mentioned Bluetooth streaming as a source from Apple Music \ Prime. If this is post 90s Bollywood it shouldn’t be that much of an issue but prior to nineties , the quality of digitisation is very poor on all platforms in most cases. Speakers or amps can’t help much here.
I have a very large collection of old songs. Many of them were converted from cd however later on i bought these from saregama site and itunes( for songs published by universal, polydoor etc..
Saregama also has wav format available . But as you rightly said the difference is not that much for anything older than 90. All my favorites song i buy and keep a local copy. Few songs were converted in lossless format from cd .
Wish there was option to buy high resolution hindi songs. But looks like as the quality of recordings and equipment in studio used for hindi songs were not that high quality or they were not preserved . Also remastering might not be feasible for music companies due to lack of demand I guess.

Hate to say this but if you have saregama flacs/Wavs then speakers will not be the problem and your CDs are far better

Actually for most old songs you may find your A1 actually doing a better job as well :) simply because they do not have much extension and for most Old bollywood timing and tone are key and the A1 is not too bad there. Practically speaking I dont see why your current monitor audio/amp cannot do this and would suspect it is your source ie quality of music and/or the Streamer/Dac, and that may be money better spent since the higher the resolution of your system, more the deficiencies in the source will be brought out.

Hate to say this but if you have saregama flacs/Wavs then speakers will not be the problem and your CDs are far better

Actually for most old songs you may find your A1 actually doing a better job as well :) simply because they do not have much extension and for most Old bollywood timing and tone are key and the A1 is not too bad there. Practically speaking I dont see why your current monitor audio/amp cannot do this and would suspect it is your source ie quality of music and/or the Streamer/Dac, and that may be money better spent since the higher the resolution of your system, more the deficiencies in the source will be brought out.
A1 are tiny speaker so if kept nearby It is fine but not for room distance listening. I have been collecting CD of old songs ( hmv golden masters/ legends and all) but the earlier mastering of cds were not that good. Earlier versions of cd of old songs were even having noise and static scratchy sounds.There has been alot of changes/improvement since then as i do not hear those sound issues in later versions. As i am using the same source file for both A1 and my other setup i was thinking that i should replace component to achieve the same sound signature but more amplified one
The bluetooth receiver i have has a decent burr brown dac . Should i try another one or a different media player?

@SachinChavan , what is ideal distance from back wall to speaker till the point where bass becomes boomy...as I don't have much space b/w back wall and speakers?
The Castle Knights are rear-ported and need some distance from the wall behind them. While the brand/reviews suggest 1 foot, I have seen the performance improve significantly at around 2 feet (gap behind the speakers) with mine. I guess one might be able to manage with 1 foot in rooms that are acoustically treated (mine isn’t, and don’t want to).
For castle knight the big form factor is bit concern for me.
These are tall and deep speakers (though not so wide). Sound is ideally sized for rooms of 200-300 sq ft in my opinion. For smaller rooms you’d need treatment. Not easy to position, lots of learning curve with that, but for an indulging user the effort pays off well.

If you are looking for compact speakers, I believe Quad S and Denton Heritage (if you find them) would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish there was option to buy high resolution hindi songs. But looks like as the quality of recordings and equipment in studio used for hindi songs were not that high quality or they were not preserved . Also remastering might not be feasible for music companies due to lack of demand I guess.
You are partially right. There are no high resolution vintage Hindi songs in the market.

But the cause is - the masters of many many vintage Hindi film OSTs (pre eighties ) have been permanently lost and damaged due to neglect and also in the fire of HMV factory in Kolkata in the eighties.

As a result the best quality of these songs by RD , SD , Kalyanji Anandji, Lax-Pyar, Roshan etc are only available on records and nowhere else.

There has been the occasional effort in converting vinyl rips to CDs by private enthusiasts but no commercial \ studio effort has been undertaken to my knowledge and likely won’t happen anyway.

The bluetooth receiver i have has a decent burr brown dac . Should i try another one or a different media player?

From all I have learnt, burr brown by itself does not mean anything and it is the implementation that counts and I really dont know about the Dac you have so difficult for me to comment. If that is a good one then your problem has to be streamer OR the music itself.

If you are listening to FLACs from Saregama then please do not upgrade, downgrading will give you better results else that will expose the poor recording. its like seeing a low Rez picture in a high Rez screen :) and @Bloom@83 has already talked about Saregama. tis is the only reason I got into records to listen to Lata/Asha the way they really were rather than their screeching digital copies.

If you do have better recordings then start with your source, your current speakers are more than good enough eg the Monitor audio Flrs. Buying a new speaker/amp will be a proverbial Lipstick on a pig with the pig being the music :) may or may not look nicer but still a pig :D ( no offence meant to the Pigs)

If you are looking for a streaming DAC acoustic portraits Swara at the price of 20K is a a great value and maybe there are others as well.

You are partially right. There are no high resolution vintage Hindi songs in the market.

But the cause is - the masters of many many vintage Hindi film OSTs (pre eighties ) have been permanently lost and damaged due to neglect and also in the fire of HMV factory in Kolkata in the eighties.

As a result the best quality of these songs by RD , SD , Kalyanji Anandji, Lax-Pyar, Roshan etc are only available on records and nowhere else.

There has been the occasional effort in converting vinyl rips to CDs by private enthusiasts but no commercial \ studio effort has been undertaken to my knowledge and likely won’t happen anyway.
There have been many releases by saregama which they claim to be digitally remastered. They also released classic revival series which added a little music such as bass guitar, kick or percussion to compensate the lack of low-end or high end sound in the recordings leaving the original sound and music as it is. Also the same song in movies sounds different and are sometime in different key(+1 or -1)) which I believe is due to different processing
With the kind of batch processing and mastering plugin available these days it would not take much investment to convert/ improve the soundtracks with whatever best version is left on records / tapes. Saregama still earns high with all these recordings and caravan devices they sell.
Wish they can do something . Not sure about other but I would definitely be interested in buying the best possible version if available.

From all I have learnt, burr brown by itself does not mean anything and it is the implementation that counts and I really dont know about the Dac you have so difficult for me to comment. If that is a good one then your problem has to be streamer OR the music itself.

If you are listening to FLACs from Saregama then please do not upgrade, downgrading will give you better results else that will expose the poor recording. its like seeing a low Rez picture in a high Rez screen :) and @Bloom@83 has already talked about Saregama. tis is the only reason I got into records to listen to Lata/Asha the way they really were rather than their screeching digital copies.

If you do have better recordings then start with your source, your current speakers are more than good enough eg the Monitor audio Flrs. Buying a new speaker/amp will be a proverbial Lipstick on a pig with the pig being the music :) may or may not look nicer but still a pig :D ( no offence meant to the Pigs)

If you are looking for a streaming DAC acoustic portraits Swara at the price of 20K is a a great value and maybe there are others as well.
One of the speaker I have is blown and hence I am planning to replace. I do understand that the quality of saregama source songs are low and that is why never tried to improve the setup for many years . But when i got hold of A1 the same source files and media player ( ipad pro with bluetooth ) which i used with bluetooth receiver ,sounds alot better and fulfilling with tight bass response and vocal range. when i am using A1 the difference can be anything the DAC ,amp or the speaker used in it. That has given me hope that i can have improved sound with same source files collection. So might try with media streamer/player/ DAC/ matching speaker and so on .
hope this makes sense.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back