Specs say TV supports 5.1 but no digital output! How do I connect?

winstonjude

I purchased a series 5 Samsung ua40j5100. On their website this Tv apparently supports Dolby and DTS 5.1. However there is no spdif or coax or hdmi arc out.

It only has a mini jack audio out! How in the world can i get 5.1 out of this??? :sad: I even called customer care so many times but they themselves don't know properly. They just aren't giving me any satisfactory answers.

PS- I read somewhere that sometimes 3.5mm mini jacks are also mini optical outputs on some devices like computers. And I also read that using a 3.5mm jack to rca on some samsung slim TVs renders the right channel as a digital coax out. :cool: Can someone verify all this and help me out?
There's nothing in the manual either. I have a phillips AV reciever with 5.1 speakers.

This is what the manual says. There is a "Tools" option. What does that lead you to?

DTS TruSurround HD
(standard sound mode only)
This function provides a virtual 5.1 channel surround sound experience
through a pair of speakers using HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function)
technology.

But it will be easier to connect your sources to the AVR, wouldn't it?
Does your AVR have HDMI passthrough?

I want to play movies from the USB port on my TV.

The website technical specs say Dolby MS10 and DTS Premium Sound 5.1 and all that. I'm sure they aren't referring to virtual sound.

My AVR does not support HDMI. It has an optical/coax and others like AUX in. I called up customer care and they said 3.5mm mini jack on the TV will support 5.1(Not virtual surround or Pro Logic, but proper Dolby/DTS). But I think that's impossible. Unless it's a mini optical or the 3.5mm jack is a coax. Someone said using a 3.5mm to RCA cable will render the right RCA channel as digital coax.

Last edited:
I want to play movies from the USB port on my TV.

The website technical specs say Dolby MS10 and DTS Premium Sound 5.1 and all that. I'm sure they aren't referring to virtual sound.

My AVR does not support HDMI. It has an optical/coax and others like AUX in. I called up customer care and they said 3.5mm mini jack on the TV will support 5.1(Not virtual surround or Pro Logic, but proper Dolby/DTS). But I think that's impossible. Unless it's a mini optical or the 3.5mm jack is a coax. Someone said using a 3.5mm to RCA cable will render the right RCA channel as digital coax.

Not possible, I've never ever heard of a standard 3.5mm jack outputting Dolby or any sort of true surround sound. I beleive the TV itself via its speskers has the ability of a virtual surround sound thingy. I remember my Philips HDTV though CRT not lcd half virtual dolby surround but didn't have any optical out.
If it doesn't have any coax or optical or hdmi arc... Then obviously it means virtual surround only.

There are some devices which do support 3.5 mm Spdif optical digital connectivity. Samsung Model uaH5100 have same.

Unfortunately your TV doesn't support same.
You can try your luck by purchasing one. If you are really lucky to get red light out of it.
Digital Audio Adapter, Digital Optical Female to 3.5mm: Amazon.in: Electronics

Best way is to get new cheap Media player device/ used xbox/ps3 for your purpose.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back