Spendor S3/5 - iterations and impressions

vivek_r

So...I bit the bullet and bought a Spendor 3/5R2. Creating a separate post for this as it has no comparisons with others of it’s ilk. Also, there are many generations of these
speakers and I thought I will put all my googling and what I learned here in one place. Hopefully someone will try the Classic 4/5 and the beat goes on...

I have heard the pricier LS 3/5 brethren and their variations in different rooms and front ends - but there is no comparison to make here. I heard the Graham 3/5 driven by a Marantz all in one in a hifi show and it was great!!

This Spendor is for my bedroom and is up against the wall and it is not even on stands - in a shelf (and like a scene from the Gladiator “kill kill kill” the audiophiles scream). And it is magnificent for my purposes. And lighter on the pocket too.

Sound: midrange to die for and amazing vocals. Highs without fatigue. But that you knew, right?

And bass that works well with much of rock, jazz, (you hear it, you wont feel it and not much texture), classical as long as it is not complex -eg with Schoenberg’s Pelleas and Mellisande, those raw emotions of love, jealousy and betrayal get a bit miniaturised. Play Kendrick Lamar and the vocals are amazing but the deep bass goes “dok-dok-dok” as opposed to “dunnng dunngg” with the Graham even - you get da drift.

Play a string quartet and it sings. Listening to Arditti play Schoenberg and it is so textured with those strings chasing each other.

Everyone worries about small speakers and bass. And ends up with speakers that can be wrong for the room. The sound of the Spendor in my 15ft X 8ft room is perfect - the Graham needed space to breathe.

I am really enjoying this and suspect it is a keeper and hopefully not just a honeymoon period. Only time will tell. I am using the Clones 55pm and Elekit 8500 pre.

I googled like a maniac before I bought this and think will put in what I learned for the sake of others.

1. This is 165wx188mm depth. Exactly BBC LS 3/5a turned by 90 degrees. So this is a narrower baffle - some feel it does not float voices (see stereophile review of the 3/5se - thank you my friend DJ for pointing it out), but there is one difference in specs with the R2 - see later. Don’t know if it makes a difference sonically.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s35se-loudspeaker-page-3

I have no complaints.

2. The 3/5R2 come in 2 versions. Ones that have serial number starting 206 have a 14 cm woofer and the later 236 with a 15 cm woofer. I could not find a review comparing the two. I got the 236 version.

3. This 236 series has the same dimension of woofer as the Spendor classic 3/5. That latter version (now discontinued) has apparently better quality parts. I could not find any comparisons, but I gather that under real life conditions they are pretty similar.

4. The new and the more expensive 4/5 is reverting back to the wide baffle format with. 90 degrees shift. Likely a big difference.

5. A shout out to Spendor UK and the distributor in India for outstanding service - including patient replies to queries. May the midrange be with you

My thoughts on the 3/5.
Cheers,
Sid

Nice short and sweet write-up..!!!
Congratulations.
A pic or 2 will be great.
Kumar I actually thought I will put it in your excellent thread (buddy you made me spend money! Thank you though) but it had many comparisons and so I decided to create this. If someone gets the Classic 4/5 I will change the title too!

I am not daring to post pictures because it is so non audiophile that I fear moderators will come whip me before throwing me out.

One solid clue about how badly it is placed that there is no comment on imaging!

Kumar I actually thought I will put it in your excellent thread (buddy you made me spend money! Thank you though) but it had many comparisons and so I decided to create this. If someone gets the Classic 4/5 I will change the title too!

I am not daring to post pictures because it is so non audiophile that I fear moderators will come whip me before throwing me out.

One solid clue about how badly it is placed that there is no comment on imaging!
Haha, good to hear that the thread finally came handy. I am sure that it has most of BBC designed speakers mentioned there which will serve a great purpose going forward.
Looking forward for a review there.
On the pic piece, no setup is perfect and there is always a room for improvement in even the best of the setups, so no issues, just go for it.
Btw, I digressed a bit and got myself a Totem Rainmaker which eventually landed today itself. Will initiate a new thread on that, But this doesnt end my pursuit for BBCs as yet till I get one. :)

Prem, this speaker is just awesome. Been reading Ramachandra Guha‘s Gandhi and on page 900. That there is Schumann in the background (played by Ivan Moravec) is just lovely.

This is the Raymonds (like suiting) theme music but probably many of you knew it.

Kumar don’t! Just enjoy!! I am telling myself as much as you.

If there is an expert in BBC tradition speakers in India, it is Vivek ! Lovely to see this addition to your collection. Emotion and communication are what makes the BBC tradition speakers so special.

"it is so textured with those strings chasing each other". That pretty much nails it !

So...I bit the bullet and bought a Spendor 3/5R2. Creating a separate post for this as it has no comparisons with others of it’s ilk. Also, there are many generations of these
speakers and I thought I will put all my googling and what I learned here in one place. Hopefully someone will try the Classic 4/5 and the beat goes on...

I have heard the pricier LS 3/5 brethren and their variations in different rooms and front ends - but there is no comparison to make here. I heard the Graham 3/5 driven by a Marantz all in one in a hifi show and it was great!!

This Spendor is for my bedroom and is up against the wall and it is not even on stands - in a shelf (and like a scene from the Gladiator “kill kill kill” the audiophiles scream). And it is magnificent for my purposes. And lighter on the pocket too.

Sound: midrange to die for and amazing vocals. Highs without fatigue. But that you knew, right?

And bass that works well with much of rock, jazz, (you hear it, you wont feel it and not much texture), classical as long as it is not complex -eg with Schoenberg’s Pelleas and Mellisande, those raw emotions of love, jealousy and betrayal get a bit miniaturised. Play Kendrick Lamar and the vocals are amazing but the deep bass goes “dok-dok-dok” as opposed to “dunnng dunngg” with the Graham even - you get da drift.

Play a string quartet and it sings. Listening to Arditti play Schoenberg and it is so textured with those strings chasing each other.

Everyone worries about small speakers and bass. And ends up with speakers that can be wrong for the room. The sound of the Spendor in my 15ft X 8ft room is perfect - the Graham needed space to breathe.

I am really enjoying this and suspect it is a keeper and hopefully not just a honeymoon period. Only time will tell. I am using the Clones 55pm and Elekit 8500 pre.

I googled like a maniac before I bought this and think will put in what I learned for the sake of others.

1. This is 165wx188mm depth. Exactly BBC LS 3/5a turned by 90 degrees. So this is a narrower baffle - some feel it does not float voices (see stereophile review of the 3/5se - thank you my friend DJ for pointing it out), but there is one difference in specs with the R2 - see later. Don’t know if it makes a difference sonically.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s35se-loudspeaker-page-3

I have no complaints.

2. The 3/5R2 come in 2 versions. Ones that have serial number starting 206 have a 14 cm woofer and the later 236 with a 15 cm woofer. I could not find a review comparing the two. I got the 236 version.

3. This 236 series has the same dimension of woofer as the Spendor classic 3/5. That latter version (now discontinued) has apparently better quality parts. I could not find any comparisons, but I gather that under real life conditions they are pretty similar.

4. The new and the more expensive 4/5 is reverting back to the wide baffle format with. 90 degrees shift. Likely a big difference.

5. A shout out to Spendor UK and the distributor in India for outstanding service - including patient replies to queries. May the midrange be with you
Eloquence in words Dude !

Hey it has been a few months already. Thought of posting again today due to this - my jazz posts (see “All that jazz”) Frenetic listening happening as if the lockdown is going out of fashion.

And yet - no listening fatigue. The instruments sound true to life for most part. The bass is satisfactory on almost all music.

Listen to vocals, rock, jazz, chamber and it works like magic. And there is musically satisfying tone.

Downsides - a couple and both have to do with scale/drama. Large scale classical does not work as well. So many instruments, the widest frequency and dynamic range are going to test most speakers/systems. This baby Spendor captures tone but that’s more or less it. You won’t air conduct as much.

And that is the same case with the piano too - again a test for most systems. In my main rig, you get an idea of the size and power of the instrument. Here you get it scaled down. However, still, piano chamber and jazz make music here.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase. Hoping other owners will post their opinions here too. Let me nudge Sidvee.

Hey it has been a few months already. Thought of posting again today due to this - my jazz posts (see “All that jazz”) Frenetic listening happening as if the lockdown is going out of fashion.

And yet - no listening fatigue. The instruments sound true to life for most part. The bass is satisfactory on almost all music.

Listen to vocals, rock, jazz, chamber and it works like magic. And there is musically satisfying tone.

Downsides - a couple and both have to do with scale/drama. Large scale classical does not work as well. So many instruments, the widest frequency and dynamic range are going to test most speakers/systems. This baby Spendor captures tone but that’s more or less it. You won’t air conduct as much.

And that is the same case with the piano too - again a test for most systems. In my main rig, you get an idea of the size and power of the instrument. Here you get it scaled down. However, still, piano chamber and jazz make music here.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase. Hoping other owners will post their opinions here too. Let me nudge Sidvee.
I am happy with my 3/5 classic. Like I stated before it is not the most revealing - slightly veiled even, but it is highly musical and never fails to entertain. There is another thread by the title "the Listening Window" - I think these speakers are very good representatives of what that thread and it's content is trying to portray.
Cheers,
Sid

Im waiting to get used harbeth P3esr. Where is that comparison thread please.Had heard spendor bookshelfs way back. Like them but loved p3esr.
Not many FMs in Mysore to see if i can go and listen to them. Not sure if the dealers give home demo(pnp borne by me).

I have had the Harbeth P3esr for more than a year and a half now. Haven't hear the Spendor yet, but would surely like to. I came to the Harbeth after having the Usher mini dancer 1which is a floor stander, for many years .The Usher is much more dynamic and airy ( berellium tweeters) than the P3esr.
But the Harbeth gets the real tone of human voice and instruments correct . The best example is when the music is playing in one room and you are listening from the other room, the sound seems more real ( natural ?) than the Ushers.
I have also felt that in the thin walled Harbeth ,somehow the sound seems to emanate from a less noisier background than the Ushers, hence the speaker ,even though being less sensitive than the Ushers , sounds more relaxed at lower volumes.
The limitations of the Spendor expressed by Vivek are applicable to the Harbeth also , hence if you are into large scale dynamics and bass heft, you may have to look elsewhere.
But me , I am a tone guy.

Nice review Vivek, Spendor 3/5s live upto the hype. After adding ISO130 stands, it got even better in all the right ways. Need a stout amplifier. Are truly rivetting nearfield. Super happy with the investment.

I happened to chance upon a Spendor LS 3/5a, through a friend who brought to my notice that one was up for sale. Jumped at the opportunity and am very happy I did. These are the 11 ohm versions made between 1988 and 1992. They use the KEF T27 tweeter and B110 woofer. Pending their arrival, I read up and watched virtually everything on the internet on the BBC ls3/5a story.

The sound staging is phenomenal and I mean exceptional. I have them placed in a big room (which is a big no according to most owners) and they sound wonderful to my ears and upon shifting them to a smaller room in the house, the sound staging even with them 2 ft from the wall is still wonderful. They do the disappearing act better than Houdini.
Beautiful tone and voices can sound very real as other owners have commented already.
I am in love with these tiny beauties. Also the seller tells me these were picked up from Mohammad Azharuddin's house (no way to corroborate) and I was right away reminded of the review put up by FM and Moderator, who used a cricket analogy comparing the spendor 3/5 to a "wristy" cricket player with that elegant touch. This is even more true in this case.:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back