Spin Clean record washer Mk II review

stevieboy

One of the long pending projects was to streamline my record cleaning routine. So I had my eye on the Spin Clean and an RCM. I was highly doubtful of the claims that it cleans best and one reviewer even claimed that a record cleaned previously on the Nitty Gritty came out cleaner. However it seemed like a fast way to clean, so ordered it. The Spin Clean landed on Monday. I wanted to check two things. 1. Would it clean records cleaned with Disc Doctor fluid better? and 2. How it would do by itself.

It does remove a lot of dirt and the water becomes quite cloudy and when I drained the plastic tub, there was what looked like silt at the bottom. But take this in context of the following two points which is the real proof of the pudding, the sound.

For point 1., no difference whatsoever. Discs cleaned with the Disc Doctor remained the same. There is a bit of crackle on a few discs which in my experience quieten down after repeated plays. These crackles remained on cleaning with the Spin Clean.

For records that were uncleaned, the Spin Clean did about the same job as the Disc Doctor and my previous concoction of iso/RO water/detergent. Really mouldy records still had some faint marks but played ok. I cleaned 10 discs and there still was a bit of crackle, the kind that shows up in silent passages and in between tracks, but is masked by normal music. There was no big crackles or pops. It remains to be seen whether the remaining crackle disappears with an RCM, which is on the way and should arrive in a few weeks.

The biggest benefit of the Spin Clean is the ease and speed with which you can clean records. When I get the RCM however I intend to add an RO water rinse cycle before vacuuming cos I've got vinyl OCD. :D

Overall opinion:
+ Well worth it for the speed factor. This can add up if you have a huge collection to clean and are of the lazy persuasion where exercise means thinking of doing some work.
- Doesn't really clean to dead silence. The same cleaning ability as other fluids, homemade liquid mixes. So if you're comfortable with the usual iso/distilled water mix and clean in small batches, you aint missing much so don't let the online reviews take you in.

Me? I got exactly what I hoped for. Speed and the same cleaning ability as my current method. So overall happy.

Hi Stevie,

Thanks for a very detailed appraisal. How much did the Spin Clean cost? I'm tempted by the speed and convenience but may be put off by a high price.

Regards.

Hi miroflex,

I got it from shopabroadonline.com. You can enter the form they have online by clicking request a quote and you'll get a complete quote within a couple of days. In the field URL of product put in the amazon URL where spin clean is sold. Or any other URL where it's sold.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks,

I also own the Spin Clean for the last few months. It is not perfect, but does a good job for the price (USD 80). No denying that it is very convenient and speedy, compared with other low cost solutions.

I believe that any single cleaning agent may not work perfectly, but a combination is likely to work better. This is because of the varied nature of the dirt that gets into the groove, and no one cleaning agent is good enough to remove all of the dirt. So a succession of cleaning with more than one cleaning agent is likely to work better.

So here is the following I do:

1. To remove visible dirt, I first rinse the record with RO water (free at home and very well maintained) to get rid of the visible dirt. This step can be skipped with visibly clean records.

2. In a plastic bowl I take a small amount of the solution made from the concentrate of "L'Art du Son" (very reputed cleaning agent usually used with vacuum based RCMs). Then using a scratch-free scotch-brite dipped into this solution, I rinse both sides of the record thoroughly. Let the record stand against a support for about 10 minutes till it dries. The L'Art du Son is very well known to get dirt loose from the grooves. [At this stage, one can also use a good vacuum cleaner with proper fitting (not to damage the record). Member Manoj does this with very good result. We do have a vacuum cleaner at home, but we have lost that fitting which is suitable for computers and such].

3. Then I use the Spin Clean (with its own cleaning fluid) to finally wash the record. I use 4 rotations in each direction (although the manual says 3 rotations in each direction) and usually clean typically 15 records in one go (meaning with the single supply of the Spin Clean cleaning fluid). The manual says one can clean 20 to 50 records in one go (depending on how dirty the records are).

4. Finally I let the records dry by themselves. I do not use the cloth-portions supplied with the Spin Clean to be used for drying. I think they leave some lint behind and I do not find them very absorbing either (yes I did wash them before first use). The Spin Clean manual clearly says that all the cleaning is done by the brushes during the spinning process, the cloth is only for drying. Hence I decided I do not need them. I just make the wet records stand against some support for a few minutes and the records get dry very soon. I get better result without using those supplied pieces of cloth for drying.

5. Of course, immediately after the above stage, I store the records away in new anti-static plastic sleeves (got a good supply of Mobile Fidelity Master sleeves).

Of course, I do not need the above elaborate procedure for records bought new. New records also at times need some light cleaning though. In addition, I personally think all new records (regardless of their country of origin) do have a fair amount of debris on them (probably coming from the pressing machine). It is very tempting to use them right away, but it is better to do some light cleaning.

Because of my preferred genre of music (hindusthani classical), I buy a lot of used records here in Kolkata. In the last couple of months, I have bought no fewer than 100 records. I first select them very carefully, usually preferring first prints etc and checking for fine scratches etc (one needs to watch the quality of the label around the centre hole of the record, a lightly used record does not show a lot of damage there. If a seller claims records to be new, this is the best way to check).

With the above cleaning sequence, for 90% of the used records, I get fantastic results. They seem like new records both in appearance and in sonics. When that happens, it gives me immense sense of satisfaction. For Rs 100 to 150 spent on each record and then a bit of labour - resulting in bliss.

BTW, both the L'Art du Son and the Spin Clean as well as all other accessories are bought from elusivedisc.com. Usually my partners in crime are two fellow Kolkatan members - Manoj and Pratim.

At the end , I like to just point out that with the growing number of my vinyl collection, I think I should have ordered the Spin Clean with the extra supply of cleaning fluid and brushes (for USD 125 I think). With the minimum package, only 4 oz of the cleaning fluid is supplied and I have already exhausted a large portion of it.

The Knosti record cleaner is a bit cheaper and works in a very similar way. The basic principle is the same, but the cleaning fluid is different, and there are a lot of reports on the net of residues left after cleaning. This is a very important aspect of record cleaning and maintenance of the stylus. There is a dry cleaning brush called "In the Groove Record Cleaner" (which Pratim had), and it definitely leaves blackish residues on the grooves. Once I got a few records from Pratim, and played them. As usual, I checked the needle after each play, and there was visible black dirt on it which I was able to clean with my stylus cleaner. I immediately let Pratim know about this, and only then both of us got serious to get the Spin Clean, and to my knowledge with the MK II, there is no known report of sugnificant residue left on the grooves.

Regards.

No captrajesh, not tried it. Prefer to stick to the safer options :) any particular reason you asked?

H2O2 is just plain water with an extra Oxygen atom waiting to break away with the smallest of disturbance to the molecular fabric. In presence of dust, these atoms break away from the liquid and escape into the atmosphere and this process results in dislodging of the dust particles creating froth which is wiped away. This liquid is widely used in treating skin abrasion injuries especially those occurring due to falls during road accidents.

I thought similar results could be obtained while cleaning records too and thats why asked so.:)

H2O2 is just plain water with an extra Oxygen atom waiting to break away with the smallest of disturbance to the molecular fabric. In presence of dust, these atoms break away from the liquid and escape into the atmosphere and this process results in dislodging of the dust particles creating froth which is wiped away. This liquid is widely used in treating skin abrasion injuries especially those occurring due to falls during road accidents.

I thought similar results could be obtained while cleaning records too and thats why asked so.:)

You are right Capt Rajesh,

H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide kills anaerobic bacteria by releasing oxygen molecules. It is used as a gargle and mouthwash because of these properties. It also bleaches by oxidation and is used as a bleaching agent. Hence the term 'peroxide blonde'. It is also useful in dislodging dirt and is often added to solutions for washing clothes. The process of beating clothes against a wooden board or beating clothes with a piece of wood also generates free radicals of oxygen resulting in dislodging of dirt. I am not sure that hydrogen peroxide will be equally effective in dislodging dirt of the type embedded in the grooves of gramophone records.

Regards.

Just saw the demo video on their site...looks simple enuff.

and 40 records in 2 hours...man that's fast!!!

Yes Capt,
I have tried H202 on records and did not find any improvement.I clean my records with plain Vinegar mix with dist. water.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sachin,

Do you finally rinse with distilled water or do you straightaway dry the record after washing with vinegar mixed with distilled water? Does the vinegar have a role to play in record cleaning?

Regards.

Just saw the demo video on their site...looks simple enuff.

and 40 records in 2 hours...man that's fast!!!

That is one hopped up guy the way he keeps blinking and the gestures. The sound bytes ought to show you how much to expect. Or not ;) To my ears, there was no reduction in crackle at all in the three samples played!

Regards

Hi Sachin,

Do you finally rinse with distilled water or do you straightaway dry the record after washing with vinegar mixed with distilled water? Does the vinegar have a role to play in record cleaning?

Regards.

I miroflex,
I always use distilled water for final wash and let them dry for 1 hrs,and finally wipe records with good quality microfiber cloth.I find Vinegar very good for removing hard dirt on record,but it should be plain(without flavor.Please don't let Vinegar dry on records.

Regards,
Sachin

As we know vinegar is organic acid which dissolves oils and other soluble material part of dirt. Rinsing clean definitely takes it away. Oil source are our hands (skin oil), atmosphere (due to Indian Kitchen/food style) and dust settling due to outside road traffic/ suspended in air.

Apparently the liquid in the Spin clean is what does the trick. The flocculant suspending the dirt so it does not get back onto the record.
I too clean 40 records in 2 hrs by hand spraying solution (Amway car wash solution 2-5 drops in 1/2 liter) followed by distilled water, wiping clean by chamois, dry on dish stands. for scrubbing the dirt I use woolen cloth which has velvet like surface on one side. Those are cleaning grooves. So far no bad result and cured 90-95% crackles due to dirt, sound improved.

Wow! Omishra I clean just 10 records at one sitting. Cos cleaning the record jackets also takes time. :)

I miroflex,
... it should be plain(without flavor.Please don't let Vinegar dry on records.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sachin

Without flavour means synthetic vinegar (i.e. acetic acid dissolved in water) rather than vinegar made from apple cider, cane juice etc. I agree with the recommendation of rinsing with distilled water and not letting vinegar dry on the records.

Regards.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back