ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

just4kix

Panasonic PxxST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Today I purchased Panasonic TH-P50ST50D. :yahoo:

I am starting this thread for ST50 owners but others can post as well.

Let us share the experience of this mid-top level baby.

I purchased this TV for Rs. 105,000 at Rajesh Trading Company (Pana Brand Shop) at Daruwala Pool, Pune. The sticker price was 115,900 and the dealer initially said 110K. After some negotiations and haggling, he dropped to 105K but would not budge more. The set comes with 2 3D Eyewear.

Initially I was thinking of the GT model and it was definitely one notch up but price was 18K or so more (sticker price 139,500). So decided not to be too loose on the wallet.

Panasonic is running a promotion on TVs - the dealer said that there will be a surprise gift worth 18K. The gift will be shipped directly to buyer after confirmation of purchase from Panasonic factory. Pune dealer was not saying what gift but as nishabfss said this will be a 5.1 DVD HT system (SC-XH170).

The TV was delivered today itself. :yahoo::yahoo: It will be installed tomorrow. Here are the pics:

P50ST50D-1.jpg

P50ST50D-2.jpg

P50ST50D-3.jpg

P50ST50D-Inv.jpg

Last edited:
its exactly half this price in US on Amazon. Wonder what part of the difference 50K is government taxes and what part is the profit margin. Am sure even the US model ships from Asia - so transport should not be a deciding factor.

Wonder when we will get prices similar to US:mad:

Also the price differential between the 51e550 and 50st50 is 200 dollars. Panasonic definitely is skimming us more:mad:

I hope the 50UT50 is available for closer to 80K soon

Also the price differential between the 51e550 and 50st50 is 200 dollars. Panasonic definitely is skimming us more:mad:

I hope the 50UT50 is available for closer to 80K soon

Its available at 77k - confirmed with pana brandshop in delhi today (lajpat nagar)... this is 2nd quote in this range after Noida one quoted 76K.

50XT50 @ 62K from same shop...

its exactly half this price in US on Amazon. Wonder what part of the difference 50K is government taxes and what part is the profit margin. Am sure even the US model ships from Asia - so transport should not be a deciding factor.

As far as i have heard, US has a trade free agreement with China, could be few more countries from Asia. So there is no import taxes for these TV's. hence they are cheap.

Here in India, because of the import taxes, we end up paying 50% more than the international prices.:mad:

Congratulations! Enjoy maadi!
When is the installation scheduled? Do post pics of installation as well :)

Thank you friends. Installation may happen either today or tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

First of all the prices are without sales tax. Sales Tax in US ranges from 0% (OR, NH) to 5-6% average in most states, and as high as 7.25% in CA, NY City, etc.

Refer: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/Content/PDF/state_sales_tax.pdf

Then, there are some significant differences in specs in the US model:

a) NTSC only
b) 110V/60 Hz only
c) Standard 1 year warranty for defects (Add $200 + Sales Tax)
d) No 3D Glasses (Add 2x $80.00 + Sales Tax)

So the price of 50ST50 will end up like this:

a) Base price: US$ 1000
b) Sales Tax @ 6%: US$60
c) 2 3D Eye Glasses (US$80 each + ST): $169.60
d) 3 years warranty ($200 + ST): US$ 212.00
----------------------------------------------
Total price = US$ 1441.60 or INR 79288.00
----------------------------------------------

So it is not as if the price is double here. And lest we forget, we end up paying 30% extra on taxes.

I am also not sure whether wall mount is included and if free installation is done. But shops such as Best Buy will provide these service but at extra cost. If you go via Amazon route, all these be at your own cost/labour. Go to BestBuy.com and see for oneself.

Last edited:
Update to above. I went to BestBuy site and the here is the quote:

a) P50ST50: $1299.99
b) 2 x 3D Eyewear: $159.98
c) Cheapest wall mount: $129.99
d) 2 years extra warranty from Geek Squad: $189.99
----------------------------------------------------
Product Total: $1,779.95
Estimated Sales Tax (7%): $124.60 in Indiana state
----------------------------------------------------
TOTAL: $1,904.55

So, what say? By bargaining, one may be able to knock off $200 from base price.

Nice work. I know we do get more for the TV than in US - but your calculation proves beyond doubt. Thanks for all he hard work.

Yesterday I was checking out Samsung glasses which @ 20 USD a pop seems to work very well with all Panasonic 2012 models. So thats good news.

Today someone posted that in Hyd Metro, 50XT50 without glasses was 50K which I think is a reasonable price. Not sure if Pune has a Metro, but I would want people to help find the price of UT50 in Metro bangalore. I can always have some one get Samsung glasses from US

Congrats @just4kix. Looking forward for more pictures with your home theatre integration. :)
Thanks.

The TV will not be integrated with HT unfortunately. My HT with projector, et al, is in my 3rd bedroom. It does not have space for this large monster.

I will install this TV in my bedroom or living room. I will post pictures soon.

Installation may happen today. I have told the guys to call me and do the installation in my presence. Hence it can happen only during non-office hours. They said that they will come by today evening. I will definitely take all pictures.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back