Standalone Bluray Player Vs PC Bluray Drive

Get2Ricky

Not sure this has been asked before or not but i am now really tired buying HDDs and having movies of size 40 Gb plus digitally stored. So now i am thinking of buying Bluray disks instead.

Now, my concern is, as i am really confused, should i go for a Bluray Drive say LG internal one costing 5-6K or Pioneer external drive around 8-9K (Amazon import) OR instead i should spend almost the same amount for Sony's standalone bluray player? Confusion is, i am used to the quality my PC offers (as its a gaming PC) i have got a good configuration and been running movies with Master Audio and True HD through Power DVD. And tbh the video quality is TOP NOTCH!

Is the standalone bluray player costing less then 10K able to match the video quality my PC gives? Or i should just buy a computer drive instead? Are computer drives reliable for playing disks as i don't wan't to back up on HDD due to space constraint?

Any Help from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a powerful AVR capable of decoding multi channel audio formats (DD, DTS 5.1, DTS 7.1 etc) or object based audio (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X) etc, I expect the quality to be the same in a standalone Blu Ray player or Blu Ray disks played on a PC provided the settings of HDMI bitstream/RAW are kept and let the AVR decode the audio. Use high end softwares like Power DVD/Power Director and allow the audio to be passthrough while playing a BD disk.

However, expect more relevant comments from fellow members here.

Now, my concern is, as i am really confused, should i go for a Bluray Drive say LG internal one costing 5-6K or Pioneer external drive around 8-9K (Amazon import) OR instead i should spend almost the same amount for Sony's standalone bluray player?

Is the standalone bluray player costing less then 10K able to match the video quality my PC gives? Or i should just buy a computer drive instead? Are computer drives reliable for playing disks as i don't wan't to back up on HDD due to space constraint?

Any Help from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Playing bluray movies either in internal or external drive or even standalone bluray player,the outcome is one and the same i.e 1080p-16/24bit 96/192khz as long as the original data is not down sampled.

Ofcourse buying bluray disks saves space on your hdd and much cheaper compared to storing data on your hdd,its entirely a matter of choice that suits your liking and budget.

Confusion is, i am used to the quality my PC offers (as its a gaming PC) i have got a good configuration and been running movies with Master Audio and True HD through Power DVD.

To correct your confusion kindly note that your pc cannot Decode "Dolby true HD or DTS HD Master which are lossless audio,unless you have HDMI output to avr for the later to decode or multi channel analog out on the rear of your PC with a pci Audio card like Asus xonar-hdav-1.3

Power DVD will display the lossless formats but actually without the above you are getting only lossy audio i.e dd.5.1 or dts 5.1.

And tbh the video quality is TOP NOTCH!

Your pc will display 1080p no doubt provided you have connected with hdmi or dvi or optical cable only.

thanks
rajesh

In my opinion you will get similar quality with both. But I find a Blu-ray player to be more convenient, as compared to switching on a htpc every time.

However , if you were to upgrade to 20k for a Blu-ray player then the quality will certainly improve. A computer has lots of components, many of which are running even if they are not required for Blu-ray playback. This introduces jitter into the digital signal. So even via pcm out you are not actually outputting the purest signal possible. However in a well designed Blu ray player everything is designed to optimise audio and video quality from the outset , with all the critical components being magnetically shielded. This should theoretically deliver better quality and less jitter.

Now the million dollar question is if the improvement is readily discernable and at what cost. Hence my original reply of both are good enough will still hold good. If you want convenience go for a Blu-ray player, if you want to keep your htpc in the loop, you can do that too :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback, as i was looking for under 10K bluray player due to space constraint i decided to buy Bluray disks only. While looking for sony bdp s1500 as it was under my budget, one of my friend had Panasonic BDT110 bluray player that he was not using at all. Checked its reviews and it instantly clicked me, and well i got the deal done at 4K after a hard bargain =]. Any review on this from fellow members?

Now i tested few blurays on it and well well well, as i thought Picture quality is somewhat lower then PC ofcourse due to POWERDVD doing its magic but still its acceptable. BUT the real difference that i never thought it would be, was the SOUND, OMG in just 5-10 minutes of playing first movie, the surround sound, the quality of bass, everything was noticeable BETTER then PC. Now not sure if this is a player thing OR due to me running original bluray disk as compared to pirated master audio copies on PC. But whatever it is, i am impressed, really impressed from the sound!

Can you confirm your ripped bluray files playing in bluray player via USB disk with same atmos or DTS Ma track output without issue.Mainly 30+gb files?

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back