Start of my home theatre journey

suku_patel_22

Hello all,
Welcome to my journey to my first home theatre.

I started off around 10 years back with Edifier Studio 7 (R2700) and was quite happy with it for music, but it was always lacking in movies and dialogue delivery, however with the limitations in my home, I wasn't in a position to install a complete home theatre. Meanwhile, I got myself JBL SB250 soundbar for the bedroom, but I was still not content with the sound.

Fast forward to few months back, late 2022, and while I was planning my living room and was planning to get a Samsung Q990B soundbar, my friend suggested that instead of spending a lakh on a soundbar, I could get a proper 5.1 system and that would serve me better for my usage. With that in mind, I started exploring home theatres.

My initial plan was to get Denon 550BT with Taga 607 package. That would have been the route I went, but due to the lack of space, I have to go with bookshelves. I ditched the plan early on and started exploring bookshelf systems, and as I would be doing the interiors of a new house, decided to upgrade to 5.1.2 instead of 5.1.

While I was in Chennai for some personal work, I visited ProFX with my wife and experienced a demo of my first home theatre. Denon X1700H paired to Polk ES15 (LR), ES30 (C) and ES10(S) along with Polk HTS10. I found the surround experience amazing but the sound signature very bright and fatiguing.

I started looking for warmer speakers, which led me to Q Acoustics. I was honoured to get in touch with FM @zhopudey and he graciously allowed me to come over and hear his Q Acoustics set-up. I loved his set-up, and was sold in the idea of Q Acoustics.

However, due to the placement of the sofa, against the back wall, I was unable to plan an effective (read WAF approved) way to mount the surrounds.

I then decided on increasing my budget a bit and started checking out Wharfdale Diamond 12(for the bipolar surrounds) and Elac Debut 2(fr it's on-wall OW42).

I visited Hifimart to audition for Wharfdale Diamond 12.1, and fell in love with them as soon as it was turned on. It was a stereo setup with Audiolab. On his and my friend's suggestion(he already owns a Marantz SR6009), I started exploring Marantz SR5015 vs Denon X1700H.

Finally, folks, here I am with my set-up, which has already been delivered to me 😍

Receiver: Marantz SR5015
Front stage: Wharfdale Diamond 12.1 and 12.C
Surrounds: Wharfdale WH-DFS
Atmos: Wharfdale WCM-65

I am yet to buy a subwoofer and have currently finalized on a REL HT/1003 MK II, after auditioning SVS PB-1000 Pro and Rel HT/1205. I would like to thank @Nitin K for guiding me along and sharing the contacts for good deals on REL.

Currently, as I haven't yet moved into the new place, I got cheap 20 ₹/m cables from local hardware and have hooked up only LCR and intend to hook up the surrounds, high on the back wall (not ideal, but that's what I can do) shortly.

I have been blown away by the performance in music and in dialogue delivery. With both Edifier studio's and JBL soundbar, there was a lot of echo in the room, which has gone away with Marantz+Wharfdale. Maybe this is what AVR's bring to the table. I thought I would need to get the REL, but the small Wharfdales do pack a punch. I can hold off for some more time.

As they say, HT is rabbit hole, I started off with the intention of spending 1L, and have spent significantly more already.

This is just the start, and I will keep posting more details as I set things up.

Some pics:

Boxes boxes 😜
PXL_20230511_081843396.jpg

Wharfdale Diamond 12.1
PXL_20230511_115227129.jpg

PXL_20230511_115247855.jpg

Wharfdale WH-DFS
PXL_20230511_121406430.jpg

The front stage. I know it's cramped, center is off-center, but this is the best what I can do at the moment.
PXL_20230513_064316380.jpg

This is a start, more to follow 😀😀

Cheers
Sukumar

Last edited:
Hi Suku,

Congratulations! Your setup looks very nice and the speakers look beautiful. I guess the center speaker position could change a little bit but can understand the shortage of space in Mumbai.
After your subwoofer comes in, it will sound even better especially for movies :)

Best regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
I guess the center speaker position could change a little bit but can understand the shortage of space in Mumbai.

I know!! Unfortunately, the AVR won't fit in the cabinet, it wasn't designed for an AVR. I'll check again though. Should be fixed when I move to the new place.

Thank you everyone for the likes and comments.

Just got around to install the surrounds. Upgraded from 3.0 to 5.0 now, and completed Audessey callibration. 😍

This is where I'll stop for now.

PXL_20230521_165251089.jpg

What benefits for the Audessey MultiEQ editor app bring? Is it worth the $$?

Any tips for the same?

Hi Suku,

The Audyssey Phone app is worth it. You will get more control over the channels and can fine tune more.
You can reduce brightness also through the Multeq filter by reducing the default values. Plus save your Audyssey file on your Gmail or cloud as a backup.

Rgs,
Nitin

The volume of my Fire Cube is low, and I have to set the volume to -1.5db to listen to anything. -28 is as good as mute.

However on Spotify connect, -26 is my ideal volume.

What should I do?
- Set the input level for Fire Cube at +12
- Use the volume knob

What is the right approach to my handle the scenario?

- Set the input level for Fire Cube at +12
You can adjust this so that in all your input sources, the volume levels will be almost the same. If you use the volume control to increase the volume and then switch to Spotify, it will go very loud which could potentially harm your speakers.

My friend was right. Everyone was right. A sub is needed.

After watching a few movies, I realised that everyone who had said, "Get the sub" was absolutely right.

So, I have placed the order for a REL HT/1003 MK II from AVShack. It should arrive in a week's time. Can't wait!!

So, the little sub is here in a huge box 😍

PXL_20230612_145145034.jpg

Some more images:
PXL_20230612_130758295.jpg

PXL_20230612_131557210.jpg

PXL_20230612_130752959.jpg
The top surface is very reflective.

Hooked it up, and set it up manually for now. Changing speaker configuration, resets Audyssey and disabled dynamic EQ, volume, etc.

Settings in AVR:
- All speakers to small
- Speaker crossovers at 80Hz for LR and surrounds, 90Hz for center.
- Subwoofer level 0
- LPF for LFE at 120Hz

Settings on Sub:
- Crossover at Max
- Level at 12 o'clock

I then played some of my known tracks on Spotify connect, and dialed the level down till I liked it. At around 10 o'clock, the bass seems perfect.

PXL_20230613_080700326.jpg

Everything seems fine. Even when I am standing next to the speakers and sub, it seems like the bass is coming from the speakers.

Now on to Audyssey at night 😀😀

Last edited:
So, the little sub is here in a huge box 😍

View attachment 77647

Some more images:
View attachment 77648

View attachment 77650

View attachment 77649
The top surface is very reflective.

Hooked it up, and set it up manually for now. Changing speaker configuration, resets Audyssey and disabled dynamic EQ, volume, etc.

Settings in AVR:
- All speakers to small
- Speaker crossovers at 80Hz for LR and surrounds, 90Hz for center.
- Subwoofer level 0
- LPF for LFE at 120Hz

Settings on Sub:
- Crossover at Max
- Level at 12 o'clock

I then played some of my known tracks on Spotify connect, and dialed the level down till I liked it. At around 10 o'clock, the bass seems perfect.

View attachment 77651

Everything seems fine. Even when I am standing next to the speakers and sub, it seems like the bass is coming from the speakers.

Now on to Audyssey at night 😀😀
Looks nice.....consider placing the sub on a door mat so it wont vibrate

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back