Static Stabilizers vs Servo Stabilizers

Vivek Batra

Dear FMs

I am scouting for a stabilizer for my system nowdays. Many people on this portal and many other threads adviced to go for a servo based stabilizer. I did a quick comparision on the internet and complied some information on static stabilizers and servo stabilizers. I have no views on either, its just what I got from very first search result. I want to understand why everyone is buying and suggesting servo stabilizer over static ones, while the static stabilizer has more merits than servo.

Looking at the tables below, I feel like going with static stabilizers. I might be missing a big picture though.

Here is what I got.

Static (Electronic) StabilizerServo Stabilizer
  • No moving parts.
  • Quicker than servo at voltage correction.
  • Low correction time 20 to 30 ms
  • Almost maintenance free.
  • More reliable.
  • Better at handing short circuit at output stage.
  • Moving parts, servo motor.
  • Slow at voltage correction compared to static stabilizer.
  • 50 ms to 5 sec
  • Maintenance is required due to electromechanical nature.
  • Less reliable than static due to servo motor.
  • Needs extra equipment at output stage to handle short circuits.

1592216853016.png

Thanks.
Vivek

My 2 cents

In relay stabilizer, the output voltage accuracy usually stands at ±10%. Servo stabilizer helps maintain better voltage accuracy. It provides around ±1 % voltage output and is quicker to respond fluctuations in power, i.e voltage correction speed is higher.

I am also looking for the stabilizer with add on options ( RMI Filter) was not aware of static, please advise the name of company and prices as well
This what I have finalized so far
Vertex: very good company bust based in South India, they don't deliver to Delhi / North
Bhurji : Based out of Gurgaon, Quote not yet received
I have some technical brochure of some more companies , if you want I can share with you

I am also looking for the stabilizer with add on options ( RMI Filter) was not aware of static, please advise the name of company and prices as well
Vertex: very good company bust based in South India, they don't deliver to Delhi / North
I have some technical brochure of some more companies , if you want I can share with you
Please share. That may be useful for others as well. I have also sent an email to Bhurji. Vertex not ready to sell in Chandigarh. I don't want to buy local brands over here.

I am using a vertex 10kva servo with rf filters,the quality is amazing.its only for audio.it makes significant changes in treble airyness

You can also consider a main line voltage Stabilizer and adding a power conditioner or a good surge protector. This way you won’t have to have any bulky stabilizer in your HT or stereo room.
Main line option is not for me coz I do not own the home.

My 2 cents

In relay stabilizer, the output voltage accuracy usually stands at ±10%. Servo stabilizer helps maintain better voltage accuracy. It provides around ±1 % voltage output and is quicker to respond fluctuations in power, i.e voltage correction speed is higher.
This is contrary to what I found ;)

I came across this page on this. Its very interesting but not sure if it can be used for sensitive audio applications. As CVT is not recommended for inductive loads (because it clamps the peaks of the sine wave)

That's perfectly ok. But I am curious about why servo and not the static, my curiosity is just based on the comparison that I found on the internet.
Well basically a lot in the forum go for the servo blindly on the fact that others are using it and have not faced any issues so far well atleast thats what happened in my case. I did some research and couldn’t conclude on what will be the right way to protect the gears. I was confused wether to go for offline ups with a power conditioner or only a servo stabilizer. When I spoke with vertex sales person he said that the model is specially made for home Audio equipment and wil provide all the required protection and also they have been selling it for few years now and till now they haven’t received a single complaint.In my circle I know atleast 6 of us who are all using the vertex stabilizer and so far none of us have had any issues. If you look at international forums who have heavy gears none of them use a stabilizer but use Panamax or furman power conditioner with surge protector.

Well basically a lot in the forum go for the servo blindly on the fact that others are using it and have not faced any issues so far well atleast thats what happened in my case. I did some research and couldn’t conclude on what will be the right way to protect the gears. I was confused wether to go for offline ups with a power conditioner or only a servo stabilizer. When I spoke with vertex sales person he said that the model is specially made for home Audio equipment and wil provide all the required protection and also they have been selling it for few years now and till now they haven’t received a single complaint.In my circle I know atleast 6 of us who are all using the vertex stabilizer and so far none of us have had any issues. If you look at international forums who have heavy gears none of them use a stabilizer but use Panamax or furman power conditioner with surge protector.
Because they so not have fluctuations, neither do we have but still to keep the voltage in check.

I think if the idea is good quality power for your audio equipment, the full spectrum of equipments to be compared are
1. Power Conditioner
2. Online UPS
3. CVT
4. Servo Stabilizers

Read about all 4 and decide what you really want.

Depending upon the power situation at your end and your needs, you can buy the right solution. For example, I almost bought from vertex and finally closed on an online UPS.

Vivek, the idea is indeed good quality power. Without specifics, servo stabilizers are analogous in voltage correction. That is why they are sought after as relatively inexpensive but very apt solution for hi-fi needs. Your equipment would equally get hurt with sudden voltage correction as with sudden voltage drop. As mentioned, Vertex also adds an EMI filter and that is why it is so popular in the hifivision circuit.

My suggestion would be to always go for a pure sine-wave online UPS. The double conversion aspect takes care of noise, surge, isolation, fluctuation, pure sine wave, brown outs, black outs and lot of other concerns that I do not understand!
I am not a power electronics guy but that is what I understood from this very useful thread when I was deciding for myself. Read it when you have time.

Vivek, the idea is indeed good quality power. Without specifics, servo stabilizers are analogous in voltage correction. That is why they are sought after as relatively inexpensive but very apt solution for hi-fi needs. Your equipment would equally get hurt with sudden voltage correction as with sudden voltage drop. As mentioned, Vertex also adds an EMI filter and that is why it is so popular in the hifivision circuit.

My suggestion would be to always go for a pure sine-wave online UPS. The double conversion aspect takes care of noise, surge, isolation, fluctuation, pure sine wave, brown outs, black outs and lot of other concerns that I do not understand!
I am not a power electronics guy but that is what I understood from this very useful thread when I was deciding for myself. Read it when you have time.
Thanks Abhishek. I will go through it.

Hi guys a quick question, does this Online UPS protect equipment from power fluctations? Thing is Ive gotta buy a UPS and Stablizer, but currently I can choose only one (as I have other expenses). I want to protect my audio equipment mainly, but but I dont mind having the option of the UPS as well. Can you help me out in making a decision?

In my home I get 240 V constantIy, as TNEB transformer is next to my house. But in one phase I see flectuations ±10V. For Audio I use the other phase.

I use 3KVA Vertex isolation transformer.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back