Step down transformer for Denon AVR-1513

AmateurAudiophile

I purchased a Denon AVR-1513 from the US and I want to use it in India. The power requirements are 110V at 60 Hz. What type of step down transformer should I use with this AV receiver? What should be the power capacity of the transformer? I was suggested to purchase a 1KVA capacity transformer. Does that sound right?
Where can I purchase the transformer in Bangalore? I saw a Maxine 1KVA transformer on amazon.in for 4.5K. Is that too expensive?
Once I decide to buy the transformer how can I test it before connecting the receiver, to make sure that my AV Receiver won't get damaged?

Step down transformers are available. You may require a 1500 watts one. Pl check with some electronic shop in bangalore. I got mine in hyd for about 1700 10yr back. Local one will also do. You will have to get it check in th electronic shop for the voltage before you connect it to the avr

Hi,
Please check the output of the transformer with a multimeter before you connect it to your amp.. it should be outputting 110 to 120 volts.
The capacity should ideally be at 1Kva as you amp will draw more current when you drive all its channels and during complex passages of music..
4.5K for 1Kva is a good deal just make sure its reliable or you'll end up loosing the amp..

Cheers
Ravi

The specs of you transformer would depend on the wattage of your AVR. Always remember to buy some extra power. It is recommended to consume only 80% of the transformer's capacity.

So, if your AVR is 80W, you buy a 100W transformer. If your AVR is 160W, you buy a 200W transformer. And so on....

MX makes these transformers in India if you don't want to go local OR very high end. I have bought about 3 of these in the last 4 years and paid something about 1000 - 1500 for a piece. (I bought 3 for different devices, not because they went bad)

Used these for a Sony HTiB, PS3, and a friend's Yamaha AVR

Here's a link for the 500W piece
http://www.mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=1101

Last edited:
As far as purchasing a stepdown transformer is concerned, I did buy it from Vishal Transformers, SP Road, they have their factory in Rajajinagar Industrial area, repairing is quite easier if it goes wrong, the pricing is good. I'm currently using stepdown transformers for a NAD amplifier and yamaha 573, they can even customize it if you want additional outlets.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back