Step down transformer for my AVR Sony STR-DN840

satishjha

Hi,

I newly bought Sony STR-DN840 from US. It works on 120V AC, 60Hz. I need a step down transformer to play it in india, but not sure how much watt I need to consider for the transformer.

This is an 1050W AVR, but when I see the manual, it says 240W power consumption.

Do I need to buy 500W or 1500W step down transformer? Please help?

Also about the brand I got thread saying Maxine works well, any other suggestion for brand or shall i go with Maxine?

This is an 1050W AVR, but when I see the manual, it says 240W power consumption.

Do I need to buy 500W or 1500W step down transformer? ?

What do you mean by 1050 w AVR . Is this the summation of all channels wattage? If so that's not the correct method and you should go by the manual . For a 240 W specification a 500 W transformer will suffice - but then the cost difference will be minimal even if you choose 1 KW transformer . It will future proof you for any other additions

Yes Maxine is a good brand.

I have just bought a Sony STR-DH740. The power rating is 240W. Jagdish your suggestion of 500W or 1kW is good as anyways 1.3 times the required capacity is advised and it will future proof any other additions to the setup.

Heard good things about Maxine brand, but do you know if they are isolation type. I had already lost a Yamaha receiver to bad surges.

Does anyone know where to buy these isolation type step-down transformers in Bhubaneswar?

Not sure if Maxine is an Isolation Transformer. In any case I don't think that an Isolation transformer alone will protect you from surges.
You will need an auto stabilizer with protection.

1.Check the label adj. to power cord on the back of the receiver where the particulars of Volts and Amp. should have been mentioned. Convert it Watts .
Watts = Amp X Volts. Better go for 1.5 times of the requirement.
2. If you have powered sub woofer of 120 V take that also into consideration before you buy
3. Better go for a converter with voltage regulator if you have power fluctuations in your area.

Thanks Guys...
@Jagdish - Yes, 1050W is the summation of all the channel wattage.

Any idea for the step down transformer with auto stabilization? or two separate device is required?

Also, I have a dumb question here -
If I use 1KW transformer but the device I had connected with it is say 240W only, will the power consumption will be for 1KW or 240W?

Thanks Guys...
@Jagdish - Yes, 1050W is the summation of all the channel wattage.

Any idea for the step down transformer with auto stabilization? or two separate device is required?

Also, I have a dumb question here -
If I use 1KW transformer but the device I had connected with it is say 240W only, will the power consumption will be for 1KW or 240W?

1) The degree of protection required depends on your power supply position and the cost of the connected equipment.
See below thread which discusses various options starting with the costliest.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...er-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-online-ups.html

2) The below gives step down with regulation. Not sure if it gives spike protection or not - I feel spike protection is more important then regulation.

SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer

3) I am using the below for my equipment

V Guard Digi for protection : Stabilizer - Volt Stabilizer | Voltage Stabilizers :: V-Guard)

A step down transformer MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO . Though I am not happy with this stepdown as it makes a mild humming sound

4)The load on the mains and the power consumption will mainly depend on the the connected load . In your case - assuming 0.94 % efficiency of the transformer it will be 240/0.94 =255 W. If you go for a higher capacity transformer the core loss will increase - ie 0.94 % efficiency might drop to 0.9 or so. These are only rough figures - overall power consumption increase due to a higher capacity transformer will be nominal.

Hey, what step down transformer did you finally get for this? I bought the exact same receiver from the US, what speakers have you paired your AVR with?

Got one made by Aries Electronics, Bangalore and they shipped it to me. (They were quiteI can't comment on its working as my Sony STR-DN840 arrived damaged. Returned it and got refund back from eBay (*phew*).

Let me know if you would like to know the contact details of Aries Electronics, Bangalore.

Btw, where did you get yours from? and how much did it cost?

Regards,
Sathya.

Got one made by Aries Electronics, Bangalore and they shipped it to me. (They were quiteI can't comment on its working as my Sony STR-DN840 arrived damaged. Returned it and got refund back from eBay (*phew*).

Let me know if you would like to know the contact details of Aries Electronics, Bangalore.

Btw, where did you get yours from? and how much did it cost?

Regards,
Sathya.

Hi, yet to purchase one, everyone seems to suggest Maxine, so may go with it, just one question, if I get a step down with correction as listed on their site, do I still connect it to stabilizer or it isnt required?

I was thinking

AC outlet -> V Guard Electronic Stabilizer -> Step down transformer -> AVR

Does this work? getting one with correction doesnt need to be connected to the stabilizer?

The advantage of getting a separate digital stabiliser is that you can connect your other 220 v equipments like TV also. Of course you will have to go for a higher capacity.

Also pls check if the Maxine stabiliser / step down has a spike buster built in.

Hi,

I newly bought Sony STR-DN840 from US. It works on 120V AC, 60Hz. I need a step down transformer to play it in india, but not sure how much watt I need to consider for the transformer.

Also about the brand I got thread saying Maxine works well, any other suggestion for brand or shall i go with Maxine?
I got a quality transformer from Aulten, my requirement was for USA 120v AVR, so had a long chat with Aulten executive, just to confirm the product compatibility and quality, they are very good at providing resolution and transformer quality is excellent.
You can contact Aulten voltage converters at 9811597709, you can chat with them on Whatsapp also.
Aulten 1KVA 800W 220V to 110V Step Down Voltage Converter with Universal Socket (White), this will do the job, I am using the same with no issues, no humming, no heating.
Hope this helps,
Regards

I got a quality transformer from Aulten, my requirement was for USA 120v AVR, so had a long chat with Aulten executive, just to confirm the product compatibility and quality, they are very good at providing resolution and transformer quality is excellent.
You can contact Aulten voltage converters at 9811597709, you can chat with them on Whatsapp also.
Aulten 1KVA 800W 220V to 110V Step Down Voltage Converter with Universal Socket (White), this will do the job, I am using the same with no issues, no humming, no heating.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Hi,

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back