Step Down Transformer for Onkyo 608

bphukon

Hi guys,

After one year of researching I finally booked the onkyo SR 608 through a friend in US, since there is limit luggage space I have no options and need to find a good Step down transformer in Bangalore. I will be using for movies and music, will go long hours during weekends and holidays (naturally).

May be I would require 500+W transformer.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

US :110V 60 Hz
India: 220-240~ v 50 Hz
Electricity Around the World

Last edited:
Power consumption of SR608 is 620W. So you need at least 1000W step down transformer. Maxine Step downs are your best bet.

I am using them for last couple of months and they are very decent. No heat and sound issues.

Check this thread

Step Down Transformer Maxine 1000W on the way from Chennai, next week..

Need help in setup of 7.1 system for the Onkyo THX SR608..

100w/Channel 8 ohms
160w/channel 6 ohms

Done a research Confused between JAMO, WaRF package and SKS-HT870 from Onkyo
Is it recomended to use speakers from different companies?
Budget can stretch around 30k-50k

Using for mainly for:

Trance Music.
GAMES
MOVIES (Action)

ANY Help will be highly Appreciated

I have an Onkyo SR608 from US and using a Maxine 1500 Watt step down transformer. It costs Rs 2975 when purchased directly from Shah Electronics, Chennai. No issues so far. You may require a voltage stabilizer to regulate the input voltage. I have a V-guard digital.

Thanks friendshpbells for your advice, however I am not planning to spend above 50k At the moment, Polk and Warf options are really good indeed

Few questions for surendar If you dont mind me asking:

1. What speaker's are you using for your onkyo 608?
2. Do we really need 1500W over 1000W Step Down transformer what are its advantages?
3. How Much did you pay to customs during the transit?

Apart from 450$ for Onkyo In my case I paid 150$ extra for the baggage and 4k INR @ customs, I feell like my deal was not fair.

waiting 4 ur inputs guys...
Thanks

Last edited:
I think surender is using Polk RTI series (his signature). 1000W shld be fine for you unless you have more devices to connect.

Start auditioning the speakers with the kind of music you like.

Build the system phase by phase instead of buying the entire package.

I have a 608 paired with Wharf 9.5s will soon be going for a CS / Sub :rolleyes:

Apart from 450$ for Onkyo In my case I paid 150$ extra for the baggage and 4k INR @ customs, I feell like my deal was not fair.

Thanks

If you don't mind, may I ask why did you pay for the baggage ? Was it because it was above the free baggage allowance ? I hope airlines don't mind carrying AVRs in the normal checked in baggage.

Similarly, why you need to pay for the receiver ? $450 is well within the duty free limit of 25K. Or again you had other items too ?

The reason I am asking is because I am gonna carry back an AVR sometime soon.

The AV was Carried in the Box Separately in the package box Since there was no space left, Moreover I did not wanted to risk of damaging the unit if kept outside the Thermocole. I ws lucky indeed cause the Thermocole broke into pieces inside the box. when I checked here. Luckily nothin happened to the AV unit.

I have seen in the Indian Luggage collectors has no respect for fragile equipments. So better pay more than sorry.hence had no choice but pay for extra weight and later on customs for exceeding 25k limit :mad:

Today I went hunting for speakers in Bangalore,
ProFX Show room in Double Road.. Heard it was Closed Down permanently.
Onkyo Showroom Cunningham road.. could not locate.. also Heard it was Closed Down permanently.
Went To Reliance Digital Cunningham road..no matching speakers available.
Finally I checked out the Jamo Store (Cinebels) in Bangalore with following Details.
Jamo C607 Pair Rs59800/- (~130w@6 ohms)
C60 Center Rs19800/-
C60 Surround Pair RS29800/-
Sub 300w Rs26800/-

I was not impressed neither with the price nor the performance to some extent. And that was the best configuration available in the shop with no 7.1 setup.

Last edited:
Thanks friendshpbells for your advice, however I am not planning to spend above 50k At the moment, Polk and Warf options are really good indeed

Few questions for surendar If you dont mind me asking:

1. What speaker's are you using for your onkyo 608?
2. Do we really need 1500W over 1000W Step Down transformer what are its advantages?
3. How Much did you pay to customs during the transit?

Thanks

1. Yes.I use Polk Audio RTi Series. Currently have only a 5.1 set up.

RTi A5 - Front
RTi C4 - Center
RTi FXi A4 - Surround
Polk Audio PSW 125 sub woofer

2. I decided on 1500W based on the discussions in this forum. This is what I understood: The step down transformer should be 50% more power rated than the power rating for the AVR in the spec.

For Onkyo 680 the power consumption is given as 6.3A and power supply 120V which is roughly 756W. 50% more than the rated power consumption comes around 756+378= 1134 which is slightly more than 1000W. So I decided to go for 1.5K. The disadvantage in going for higher power rated transformer is that it will waste more electricity in the form of heat.

3. I purchase directly from ebay seller and was shipped through DHL Express. The seller quoted a less value for the shipment hence I paid around 1.9K as duty. Meanwhile since I got it through DHL the shipping charge was little high. So the total cost is slightly more than yours.

I would say you have got a fair deal. I don't know any means of buying cheaper then this unless we use a low cost mail to ship it which is very risky. Else we have to bring it in person as a baggage.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back