Step down transformer for Onkyo TX SR 805

mikehcm

Hi All,

I've recently purchased Onkyo TX-SR-805 through ebay and importing to India through borderlinx. I need help in the following areas,

- Pls suggest a good step down transformer(reliable and good brand). I'm from Chennai, will be great to know the right place to buy the product.

- How much of Watts (step down transformer) this receiver will require, i did some browsing and found, the power consumption is 9.5 A.

Any help will be really appreciated as this is my first receiver and i dont want to make any mistake by picking up a wrong step down transformer.

Suggest you go for isolation type step downs. They are about 30-50% costlier but that is a fair price to pay to safeguard the much costlier AVR.

A walk down ritchie street should yield you many branded and unbranded step downs.

-Ajay

thanks ajayk, pardon my ignorance, i'm not sure what is meant by isolation type step downs, is there any brand that you may suggest, as per the previous two post, maxine looks to be good step down, any thoughts on this would be of great help.

An isolation type step down ensures that even if something were to go bad with the transformer it will never send more power than the designed output. i.e. either you get 110-120V or nothing, never more. Your AVR or any other device connected via the stepdown will not fry.

Maxine is a well used brand but I personally haven't used them. I use one made by an acquaintance of mine.

-Ajay

thanks ajayk, pardon my ignorance, i'm not sure what is meant by isolation type step downs, is there any brand that you may suggest, as per the previous two post, maxine looks to be good step down, any thoughts on this would be of great help.

I'll try to do some shipping this weekend to enquire about isolation type step down, i have lot of time to decide as i will be getting my receiver only by the second week of December.

Hi I am looking out to buy same thing (1 KVA with isolated power supply) please tell me how is your working ? I called Logicstat they told me 1 KVA Manual power supply one is available now for 3700/- I dont understand if manual is different than isolated ... do you still have no. of the shop in Nehru place where you bought this from by any chance ?

Please help..

thx.

Hemant Manwani (9971796639)

Hi

I bought a branded Logicstat step-down transformer with an isolated supply yesterday from Delhi - the 1 KVA costs Rs. 5000 and 0.5 KVA 3200 from a shop in Nehru Place with 1 yr warranty.

Its running pretty good with a Denon 1712 that I also got from US.

Logicstat.com - Constant Voltage Transformers

Check it out...

I got my receiver Onkyo TX-SR 805, i also got maxine 1.5 KVA step down transformer, i connected every thing, when i turn on the unit, the tripper switch goes off in step down, am i with less power? do i need to go for higher volt step down? behind the panel it reads 120V 9.5Amps 60 Hz, where as in my step down i have two plugs, 110V and 100V, can 120V be played on 110V plug? your replies will be on great help.

Last edited:
I finally took my receiver and Step down to the shop and found my step down is defective, got it replaced and my unit is working fine. Thanks all

Hi I am looking out to buy same thing (1 KVA with isolated power supply) please tell me how is your working ? I called Logicstat they told me 1 KVA Manual power supply one is available now for 3700/- I dont understand if manual is different than isolated ... do you still have no. of the shop in Nehru place where you bought this from by any chance ?

Its probably the same thing and I got ripped :( The product is actually working very well - no sound/hiss or overheating and I have put in in a wodden cabinet with a glass windows, so very happy.

Don't have the shop name but should be easy to find as there is only 1 electronics/electric shop in NP, ground floor.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back