Step Down Transformer - Onkyo TX NR609 with Onkyo HT 7.1 speakers Return to India

ramshyd

Hi All,

I think this question might have been answered elsewhere, but would appreciate if someone responds...

I have the above Receiver and Speakers 7.1 setup at US. I am moving back to India in short time span. I am looking to take these back with me.

I think I might need a step down transformer with 1500 VA rating (Maxine) or similar. Correct?

Will this power only the Receiver or will this power also the speakers? Do I need a separate step down transformer for the Subwoofer based on its wattage?

If one transformer can serve both the Receiver and Sub, does it have two power outlets of 110v each? Or do I have to plug in a power trip? I read else where that surge protector power strips are dangerous to use with these transformers.... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also any advice on shipping is appreciated too - low cost of-course!

Thanks

Ram

Hi Ram,
Let me know if this requirement is closed or you are still looking for a step down transformer. The sub will usually be powered by a line connection from the amp itself and hence u will not require a separte SDT. Moreover, there are SDTs, that have multiple 110 Volts sockets as output and you can connect as many 110 volts devices as you want (provided the max output wattage does not cross 1500Watts or may be 1000Watts taking the losses into account).

Rgds
Sreejith

Hi Ram,
Let me know if this requirement is closed or you are still looking for a step down transformer. The sub will usually be powered by a line connection from the amp itself and hence u will not require a separte SDT. Moreover, there are SDTs, that have multiple 110 Volts sockets as output and you can connect as many 110 volts devices as you want (provided the max output wattage does not cross 1500Watts or may be 1000Watts taking the losses into account).

Rgds
Sreejith

Thanks Sreejith. I am still looking to buy step down transformers. I read elsewhere or saw a video in youtube that the video output will be "wavy" if I use a step down on the receiver because of the frequency difference?! Is that true?

My sub woofer needs a separate power connection. Hence I would be looking for converters that have two outputs. Will there be an audio issue too using step downs on home theater systems because of the frequency issue?!

I am using a 2KVA step down converter and connected all my devices of 110V like TX-NR 609 with Sub(SKW770) , Samsung 40" LCD, Sony BDP, Xbox360, LogitechRevue and wireless router ect. through surge and going on well.

Last edited:
I am using a 2KVA step down converter and connected all my devices of 110V like TX-NR 609 with Sub(SKW770) , Samsung 40" LCD, Sony BDP, Xbox360, LogitechRevue and wireless router ect. through surge and going on well.

Soorya, I really think that is dangerous to connect a surge protector to a step down transformer. I have read many articles that exposes danger. If the polarity is changed, then it could result in blowing up the whole stuff. Not sure if you are aware of this, but if you are, how are you managing that threat?!

Are you also using HDMI video? I heard that the video is shaky because of the 50 - 60 Hz frequency thing. Is that real?

Third question to others, the FM tuning in the receiver gets affected because of this frequency issue. Is it true?

Thanks all... only question left is about using a spike strip or an extension with the step down... sounds really scary based on some websites (could kill by blowing up!?!?)

Using with spike and step down converter for Panasonic Home theater since 2003, added LCD40" in 2008 for 500v Step down. Changed to 2KVA in June after I bought Onkyo HT

Last edited:
Frequency difference did not crated any problems for me in the past .I have used a 1500watts step down which powered my Onkyo 508 and Energy take classic (active woofer) without any issues with video or audio.

Frequency difference did not crated any problems for me in the past .I have used a 1500watts step down which powered my Onkyo 508 and Energy take classic (active woofer) without any issues with video or audio.

That's good to know, can I know if you used two stepdown transformers for your AVR and sub or just one SDT with two outlets of 110v? Also which brand of SDT.

TIA.

I have recently installed a Maxine step down transformer ordered from Amazon.

Points to be considered.

1) Total Watts to be considered? Amp + woofer assuming its 700 watts + 300 watts = 1000 watts better go for 1500 watts. Better to buy one which is at least having 20% more capacity than wht you will utilize .
2) Use a 15 Amp Socket
3) Avoid use of Spike Guard(Multiple reasons have been discussed over the forums dono which one is true)
4) Yes, the Transformer has 2 sockets which will take care of your woofer and amp.
5) FM in my AMP is having very poor reception probably due the transformer.
6) Wavy video - No video is perfect from all source (using HDMI)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back