Stereo amplifier / setup for 10 speaker ceiling system

ivoidwarranty

Hi all,

I've been setting up a music system for a hall of 1500 sft (commercial space). We wanted ceiling speakers from the beginning so we've got 10x ceiling speakers (specs below) installed in the false ceiling with parallel wiring to a central cabinet. I want help in laying out the setup, identifying the amplifier (mandatory) and anything else that may improve the audio quality of our setup.

Requirement and usage:
  • The system would be playing south indian filmy/classical music at least 10 hours a day everyday - only stereo.
  • Music would be mostly streamed from online sites / online radio (typically mp3 streams >= 128kbps)
  • The PC used for streaming is Intel Atom D425KT based with in-built Intel HD Audio and one PCI slot / USB option available for sound cards [We would be using in-built audio to start with, but could potentially add a stereo sound card based on the difference it can make to the audio quality and the price]
  • Speakers we've got installed are 10 x Boston Acoustics CSi8051 Specs here (5.25in / 8 ohms / 6W RMS / 10W Pmax / No LMTransformer) We would be using 5 speakers per stereo channel.
Using thumb rules from many posts online that amp RMS should be 2 times the speaker RMS, I've been considering getting a stereo amp for ~50W (4*6W * 2) per channel like Norge 2060 / Marantz / Yamaha A-S300 (typically 2 outputs of L+R @ 4 ohms) and connect two speakers in parallel (4 ohms) to each output (4 speakers per channel) and get another low power amp (~10W) may be from Norge for the remaining 2 speakers.

Need recommendations for the following:
  1. What speaker configuration (parallel / series / hybrid) to use? Is it possible to make a setup with all the 5 speakers per channel connected to a single amp without using 100v lines / LMTs?
  2. Can we use the two outputs in the above amplifiers to drive 2x8ohm speakers each in parallel? / What are the two set of output lines in the amps for?
  3. Is my RMS power calculations right? Any tips in Amp RMS rating to go for?
  4. What stereo amplifier/s do you guys recommend for the above setup?
  5. Should I get a PCI/USB sound card for the PC for my usage (online streaming)? Would there be any noticeable difference? If yes, recommend some good stereo sound cards.
  6. Any reviews about the speakers we got? Should we dump these speakers and go for some other ceiling / book shelf / floor standing.
Our budget for the amp/s + anything more we could get is 20-25K

Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
Bala

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back