Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier........

elangoas

Hello ppl,

I have planned to build a good stereo system, have a budget of 35K. For now i am conisdering the Sonodyne Sonus FS 2605 V2 (24K) and a Norge Amplifier to drive it. later planning to get a good CD player..

I have extensively searched threads on this forum for a good Stereo setup. From what i read, Wharfedale 9.X sereies seems to be the favorite pick along with Norge amplifier 1000 for a budget setup.

My room size (hall) is 12*27(300 Sqft), so iam not considering the Wharfedale bookshelf nor i can't stretch my budget for FS from wharfedale. So i auditioned Sonodyne FS 2605 V2. I am very much impressed with it and have finalised the speakers. Now thinking abt the amplifier to drive it.

I dont want to go for an used amplifier (NAD, Marantz , CA & Others) as i can't stretch my budget beyond 11K for an amplifier.

From learning from this forum, many hve said Norge 1000 Coencentro gold is a forward sounding amplifier & Norge 2000 MOSFET Reference is a laid back amplifier. Also some remarks on Sonodyne FS is it is a bit bright speakers.

Few Q here
1) Is it good to match a bit bright speakers with a laid back amplifier ?

1) Which amplifer of Norge should i consider for Sonodyne FS 2605 V2 - Norge 1000 / 2000 ?

2) has any one tried this combo before.. Please give your inputs as i don't have an Norge dealer in Chennai.

3) If there is anyone from Chennai in this forum who has an Norge 1000/2000 Amplifier, can you spare couple of hrs on a weekend (preferable Sat) to audition this combination in a Sonodyne chennai dealer.

Regards
Elango

Re: Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier....

Elangoas,
Which amp did you audition the Sonodyne speakers with? If you liked the sound, why dont you go for the same combo?

Re: Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier....

Elangoas,
Which amp did you audition the Sonodyne speakers with? If you liked the sound, why dont you go for the same combo?

I had a demo of Sonodyne FS with Yamaha stereo Integrated amplifer AX 497. I hope Yamaha Amp has 50Wpc of power. I could litreally feel that i almost turned up the volume close to 4'o Clock and the speaker need lots of power to drive it. So not considering the yamaha amp.

I wanted to go for Norge models, which has 100 W RMS/ Channel good enough to drive the Sonodyne FS rated @ 130W RMS (Cont power handling). Moreover it is within the budget of 12K max for amplifier.

So wanted to know which of the Norge amplifier would drive the Sonodyne FS. Somwhere in the forum, i remember someone asking this Ques to Mr. Shyam bajaj (Norge Audio MD). And he recommended Norge 2000 as it would drive the FS very well. Wanted to know if anyone has auditioned this combo or own this combo.

Just a little question, are the Sonodynes better than Wharfedale 9.5's which are available for around 26.5k?

I have Norge 1000 (12K) with Wharf 9.2 (15.5K) - Got DAC cable free with it. Waiting for my CA DV99 from UK.

Just a little question, are the Sonodynes better than Wharfedale 9.5's which are available for around 26.5k?

I am not sure. I hope both are 3 way speakers. But Sonodyne has 2 * 6' woofers on each towers. That produces lot of bass and is good enough without a Sub. It is not boomy. It is well defined with good punch & lot of detail... I don't own a credibility of checking this. But i feel Sonodyne FS are damn good.

When i checked with one of the Wharfedale dealer in chennai, i think he quoted close to 30K. Not sure of the model. It think it was 10.X series model. So i assumed that FS from wharfedale starts @ 30K.

What other floorstanders did you check out?
The yamaha 50w amp at 4 o clock! Thats too much! I wonder why, what is the sensitivity of the said sonodyne speaker?

What other floorstanders did you check out?
The yamaha 50w amp at 4 o clock! Thats too much! I wonder why, what is the sensitivity of the said sonodyne speaker?

I didn't audition other FS as i know that i can't afford for any other foreign brands FS for 25 K Max. This is a 3 way speaker with 89 DB Sensitivity. Is that a good Number..

And what does Frequency Response (+3 dB) : 45 Hz ~ 22 kHz Imply

Specifications as listed in the below link..

Home Audio > Genie Series

89db sensitivity is good enough! Just that with a 55w amp my 90db speakers are pretty loud even at 10-11 o clock in a 200 sq ft room.
Elangoas, I know what you mean, but please go and audition them no matter what your budget is. Try FS from PSB, QA, Mission etc in the same budget too. Check out craftel too since you are in chennai.

89db sensitivity is good enough! Just that with a 55w amp my 90db speakers are pretty loud even at 10-11 o clock in a 200 sq ft room.
Elangoas, I know what you mean, but please go and audition them no matter what your budget is. Try FS from PSB, QA, Mission etc in the same budget too. Check out craftel too since you are in chennai.

I am sorry. It was actually a 5.1 channel receiver from Yamaha RXV465. That is where the volume knob was @ 4'0 clock position. It was not with AX-497. I had a demo of the FS with AX-497. It was even better. The loudness control worked wonders..

Ah, thats why! On a receiver it is quite possible!

Any suggestions on Norge amplifier...

very well regarded amp in this forum.........go for it blindly.................:)

very well regarded amp in this forum.........go for it blindly.................:)

Yeah sure. But not sure of which model would drive these FS.. Norger 1000/ Norge 2000.

I have read thru threads on Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 in this forum. One member of this forum has even spoke to Mr Shyam Bajaj (MD of Norge Audio) abt the amplifier which would drive this FSand he has recommended Norge 2000.

Should i go ahead and buy it based on his recommendation.

Also any one from Chennai who owns this amplifier could spend a can couple of hrs (on weekends pref Sat ) for auditioning this combo in Sonodyne dealer is highly appreciated.

There are no real recommendations between the two of the Amps (Norge 1000/ 2000) for this FS.

I am giving a thought if i should go for a new NAD C 326 BEE or an used amplifier from NAD series.

Elangoas, You dont need 100w to drive 89db floorstanders. Of course, more power is never bad as long as it is withing the power handling capacity of the speakers, but what I am saying is that it is not a minimum requirement.
Why dont you coordinate with one of the Chennai members who are having Norge and check it out?
If you looking at used you can get ones from Nad, Rotel, Arcam, Marantz etc at around 10k.
Contact hifipal4all a.k.a Ramesh on our forum, he can help you out.

Yes. I took help of murali n from chennai. Last sunday i visited Murali's house (Chennai) to audition his setup. Norge 2060 + Custom made Craftel speaker's. Thanks very much Murali. It was a good setup.

He also suggested me to go for a Norge 2000 Amp and he was ready to accompany me to the Sonodyne dealer with his Norge Amp 2060 to audition the setup.

He also said that Both Norger 2060 & Norge 1000 are very similar except the power handling difference & also Norge 2000 was a different amplifier with a laid back feel.

I couldn't find a member from Chennai who has Norge 2000.

I have one. It is only couple of months old and about 4 hours used, so it is not properly burned. Right now I just kept it in the box and continue to use my Denon AVR- 2807 because of the FM and it better drives my bi-wired Polk monitor 70 FS

I live in Velachery area. Can help you if time permits.

Siva

you can try Lyrita Audio once. I think it will be better than your current choice

Hello, I am based on Kolkata. I have almost selected Sonus 2605 V2 from Sonodyne. Only part I am confused is with the amplifier. Can any one help me with some input? By default it comes with Sonodyne SiA 320 amplifier. Any clue if Norge has got any dealer in Kolkata? What is the price of Norge 2000 sterio amplifier?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back