Stereo Setup for Metal / Rock Music

For Rock/Metallica genre, Larger Room with Focused listening area, Previous speakers being Polk RTI A7, who's wants to Rock the neighborhood...

My choice will be Klipsch Rp800F with Roksan K3 or CA Amplifier. Add subwoofer based on your requirements later, because I felt the Klipsch have a very good low end performance.. The Newer Klipsch RP Series has some modifications to its horn tweeters so it doesn't sound as harsh as the previous models (at least I didn't find them very bright) . Higher end monitor audio speakers are way better than bronze. Consider auditioning Paradigm Monitor 6000f and Fyne 502 as they're quite versatile speakers and can handle most genres with pretty ease.
+1. will look into it. Klipsch and Roksan are in mind.

You may not need very "refined" or nuanced or detailed speakers because the genre of your choice does not need those characteristics. That's not to say that refined, and detailed speakers will not work well - far from it.
You need loud. You need a sub (or two) even though most tracks in the genre do not have looows but even then subs do make a big difference. There is no room small enough to which a sub will not make a difference.

Back in the day, when I still had them, I used to use a pair of tiny NHT SuperZero's crossed over to a 12" Infinity sub at 80-100 Hz I think - they rocked the house beautifully doing rock and metal! And even that would be considered a bit of an understatement by my buddies who used to hang with me to listen.

I'd go with an all Emotiva rig.
+1. Thanks

In my opinion the belief that certain speakers and/or certain amps are meant for certain music genres is pure BS!
Yes, if a speaker is good only for one or two genres (classic example - Tannoy XT8F) ;) then its a bad speaker. As BS as bi-wiring.

For Rock/Metallica genre, Larger Room with Focused listening area, Previous speakers being Polk RTI A7, who's wants to Rock the neighborhood...

My choice will be Klipsch Rp800F with Roksan K3 or CA Amplifier. Add subwoofer based on your requirements later, because I felt the Klipsch have a very good low end performance.. The Newer Klipsch RP Series has some modifications to its horn tweeters so it doesn't sound as harsh as the previous models (at least I didn't find them very bright) . Higher end monitor audio speakers are way better than bronze. Consider auditioning Paradigm Monitor 6000f and Fyne 502 as they're quite versatile speakers and can handle most genres with pretty ease.
Fyne Audio 502 is a fine speaker, unlike some who think they are cheap copy of Tannoys'. They are not and in a way different league on their own. Looking at the F500 BS + Sub route too. Haven't heard the modded horn klipschs' yet. Will do at next opportunity.

You may not need very "refined" or nuanced or detailed speakers because the genre of your choice does not need those characteristics. That's not to say that refined, and detailed speakers will not work well - far from it.
You need loud. You need a sub (or two) even though most tracks in the genre do not have looows but even then subs do make a big difference. There is no room small enough to which a sub will not make a difference.

Back in the day, when I still had them, I used to use a pair of tiny NHT SuperZero's crossed over to a 12" Infinity sub at 80-100 Hz I think - they rocked the house beautifully doing rock and metal! And even that would be considered a bit of an understatement by my buddies who used to hang with me to listen.

I'd go with an all Emotiva rig.
What about this all Emotiva setup?
1) BasX PT Pre/DAC/Tuner (Or the higher end XSP-1 XD Preamp with line output crossovers)
2) XPA Gen 3 - 2ch modular power amp. (2 ch for now ;))
3) Airmotiv T2 FS

If I like the Airmotiv T2 sound, would also look into Airmotiv BS + 2 x BasX S15 subs. Love the black and subtle blue design

Yes, if a speaker is good only for one or two genres (classic example - Tannoy XT8F) ;) then its a bad speaker. As BS as bi-wiring.
And u have made that judgement how? Have you seen, forget heard, a tannoy XT8F? :cool:

And I think what @keith_correa meant to say was exactly opposite of what you understood! There is nothing like a particular speaker is good for one kind of genre! Exactly what Keith said! A good speaker will sound just as good for jazz, vocals, metal rock whatever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyne Audio 502 is a fine speaker, unlike some who think they are cheap copy of Tannoys'.

Yes that would be me. Have you heard a fyne audio? Or a tannoy for that matter? If it looks like a duck, it's not necessarily going to sound like a duck, however hard you may try and convince yourself that a fyne audio is fine, it's never going to be a tannoy!

celester, have you heard a Fyne?
And even every Tannoy is not a "Tannoy" in that sense :).
Actually yes sir I have. In Mumbai. Their floorstander. Good speakers, I never said they weren't, did I? I just said they won't be a tannoy. The finishing is very different.

Actually IMO, the Fyne guys probably will and work harder to beat Tannoy at their game.
In case you guys didn't know this already, here's a bit of how Fyne Audio came about. They may be more Tannoy than Tannoy (as it exists today) themselves.

One interesting trivia I stumbled upon. Tannoy were / are using 2 metals to make their rectifiers. Tantallum and Lead alloy. So thats where the name came from. Don't know how true, but interesting.

This is just my personal experience - I listed to a lot of rock, all kinds, primarily, but not limited to it. I picked up castle knight 2 from an FM here 3 years back, have been in love with them for all the music I listen to, especially for the price. Not sure where they are available for audition in Chennai, if possible check them out. I did a blind purchase since I wasn't shelling out too much, and got lucky i guess, but I strongly recommend doing a bit of audition with your music source prior to buying.

Thanks to all for their inputs. Have finalized on the Tannoy XT8F FS and eagerly waiting to get back home to try them with my NAD 356 and Marantz 7001. Many good reviews on this combo and even more on the XT8F with Arcam.

reviving an old thread, so after an intense debate, do we have an answer? Is the Tannoy xt8f ideal for this genre?
what is so specific about a particular genre that the speakers have to be "tuned" for it.
Since this thread is about metal and rock music - what is different compared to other genres that needs to be captured and reproduced and what makes one set of speakers the best for it?

t
what is so specific about a particular genre that the speakers have to be "tuned" for it.
Since this thread is about metal and rock music - what is different compared to other genres that needs to be captured and reproduced and what makes one set of speakers the best for it?
to answer this in a few words - aggression, fury, thunder, etc, etc

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back