Stereo Setup for small room

kvandhi

Hifi Members,

I am new to this forum, I am interested to setup a Stereo for my bedroom which is smaller in size (10X12 ft).

My musical interest is Folk-rock,Country,Rock,Jazz and Reggae.
My budget is around 1 Lac.(More pref to quality).
Main source is Sony Vaio E Series with Itunes 10 version. Having 17GB MP3 from 120kbs to 320kbps quality. ( If needed i may opt for CD player)
Preference will be on Bookshelf, (because its bed room )

Currently i am hooked up my laptop to Bose Companion 2 speakers.

After reading more speaker/Intg. Amp reviews, Here is my choice.
Speaker - B&W 685 pair
Amp- Rotel RA-04
CDP - ????? No idea

Please pour your suggestion after reading required setup. I am living in chennai, even i am not sure where to get the above speakers or any good AV stores to explore.

Thanks.....

Hifi Members,

I am new to this forum, I am interested to setup a Stereo for my bedroom which is smaller in size (10X12 ft).

Main source is Sony Vaio E Series with Itunes 10 version. Having 17GB MP3 from 120kbs to 320kbps quality. ( If needed i may opt for CD player)

Speaker - B&W 685 pair
Amp- Rotel RA-04
CDP - ????? No idea

Please pour your suggestion after reading required setup. I am living in chennai, even i am not sure where to get the above speakers or any good AV stores to explore.

Thanks.....

With that kind of downloaded collection I think you shld go for a good DAC .

Another small suggestion - I've never really cared for MP3s, if you plan to use your computer for music, go in for lossless FLAC files and use MediaMonkey for playback.
Having made a tentative foray into computer-based music, I believe FLAC is the way to go. If you must stick to MP3s, opt for at least 256 or 320 kbps. And as already suggested, think of getting a digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

Hifi Members,

Speaker - B&W 685 pair
Amp- Rotel
CDP - ????? No idea

Thanks.....
Hi

If you are a music lover go for
Speakers Dali Lector 1
Amp Arcam A 28
CD player Marantz 6003

Homiyar

Hi,

You could try the Norge 2060 as well. Beats most amps and comes at a price of Rs. 8,700.

Hi,

May be not the right place to post. Need help in chosing a mini-CD player and speakers - I read good reviews about the Denon M38DAC. Anything better and cheaper suggested?

I've always been listening to music on mini-hifi or laptop and not looking for any out-of-this world system. Just a humble work-to-do system. Should be compact.

kvandhi, if you do not have music on CD and dont plan to, then it doesnt make any sense to go for a CDP. Rather budget about 20-30k INR for a DAC and start scouting new as well as used.
About 40k for a pair of bookshelf speakers like MA RS series and 30k for an integrated amp like Pm7001.
Else you could try a tube integrated from Lyrita with a pair of Audire Callistos.

kvandhi, if you do not have music on CD and dont plan to, then it doesnt make any sense to go for a CDP. Rather budget about 20-30k INR for a DAC and start scouting new as well as used.
About 40k for a pair of bookshelf speakers like MA RS series and 30k for an integrated amp like Pm7001.
Else you could try a tube integrated from Lyrita with a pair of Audire Callistos.

iaudio,
Most of ppl suggest that listening thru CDP is more quality than using MP3(even 320kbps). Thats why i thought of going for CDP. but one problem is i could nt get Country CDs in chennai of my choice. For that reason i have to download from web.
Second query, most of ppl always suggesting MA speaker than B&W 685. why so ?

kvandhi, I kinda belong to 'most people'. I use a Cdp myself, a marantz cd6003 and I find its the best way to satisfy my 'itch' in my set up. Like you, I too have loads of music on mp3/flac etc but ultimately till I get a DAC I can afford which performs on par with my cdp, I always turn to the cdplayer for pure enjoyment of music/
As for people suggesting MA over B&W, probably the B&W lovers are yet to see this thread.
Or maybe because b&W budget speakers are not as well liked as their top end models or because they have low sensitivity and need expensive amps with lots of power to drive them well.
But, isnt it good to get options you werent aware of?

kvandhi, I kinda belong to 'most people'. I use a Cdp myself, a marantz cd6003 and I find its the best way to satisfy my 'itch' in my set up. Like you, I too have loads of music on mp3/flac etc but ultimately till I get a DAC I can afford which performs on par with my cdp, I always turn to the cdplayer for pure enjoyment of music/
As for people suggesting MA over B&W, probably the B&W lovers are yet to see this thread.
Or maybe because b&W budget speakers are not as well liked as their top end models or because they have low sensitivity and need expensive amps with lots of power to drive them well.
But, isnt it good to get options you werent aware of?

Iaudio,
Thanks for reply. Regarding CD collection sold in chennai(in other cities of india). which is best online site to order and get the CD's. I have tried amazon to download, but its shows not available for india.

Try Rhythmhouse.in. Have you tried getting what you want at Landmark, Chennai?

kvandhi, but before you make a firm decision to jump on the cd bandwagon, try hearing it for yourself.
I mean take an audio cd and the mp3 of the same songs burned on another cd and audition it with a system which has a cdplayer which plays mp3s too( cd5003,6003 from marantz does) and see if you feel a difference.
I find hardpressed to make out the difference between well encoded mp3s and their original cds, atleast on my system with my hearing.
For that matter, try a dvd player or pc in the chain too.

iaudio,

I dont find much country cds in Landmark chennai. And also its very limited to other collections in chennai.

I find rhythmhouse is great source of all CDs. So we have order all by mail.
(since we dont have in chennai anything similar).

Speakers : Epos M12.2 or Dynaudio Audience 52 (used)
Amp : Arcam A28, Lyrita high powered SET/Push-Pull, Marantz PM7001, Norge Concerto Gold
CDP : Marantz CD 6003, NAD C542, Arcam CD73 (used)
DAC : Monarchy Model 18 or 22 (used), Scott Nixon, Peter Daniel

iaudio,
Most of ppl suggest that listening thru CDP is more quality than using MP3(even 320kbps). Thats why i thought of going for CDP. but one problem is i could nt get Country CDs in chennai of my choice. For that reason i have to download from web.
Second query, most of ppl always suggesting MA speaker than B&W 685. why so ?

If you believe that you won't get those cds in chennai, then i suggest you try and download flac versions of the same music off of torrent website. These days it is as easy as it is to find mp3 and that too in lossless quality. Once downloaded, Nero 10 (if i'm not mistaken) can burn the flac files on to a cd as an audio cd as well. This way you can an audio cd that is close to an original one..

Personally, I feel that b&w 685's aren't as musical and are best suited for movie purposes.. having said that, you should trust you ears over my opinion.. some speakers I feel you should audition are:

Dali Ikon 2
Dali Lektor 3 (the two dali's sound completelty diff and both are good in their own ways)
MA RX 2
Quad 11l2
PSB and Usher series (i'm being told that they are very good and planning to personally try these out this weekend. Will let you know what i felt)

Also, try to check out the Vdac from M
Musical Fidelity.. one of the best budget dacs i've ever heard..

Cheers!

Prashanth

Speakers : Epos M12.2 or Dynaudio Audience 52 (used)
Amp : Arcam A28, Lyrita high powered SET/Push-Pull, Marantz PM7001, Norge Concerto Gold
CDP : Marantz CD 6003, NAD C542, Arcam CD73 (used)
DAC : Monarchy Model 18 or 22 (used), Scott Nixon, Peter Daniel

Dr.Bass,
I am getting good list of best selection of amps/speakers/CDP. Well now my job makes tougher to drill down ,which best in all these list from fourm.

As i already mentioned i am looking only for Music, so i can go till 1 lakh for budget of getting :
AMP/CDP/Speaker/Cable/Rack/Spk.Stand..
After reading more websites reviews/WhatHifi. so i thought of B&W 685 is best one.

If you believe that you won't get those cds in chennai, then i suggest you try and download flac versions of the same music off of torrent website. These days it is as easy as it is to find mp3 and that too in lossless quality. Once downloaded, Nero 10 (if i'm not mistaken) can burn the flac files on to a cd as an audio cd as well. This way you can an audio cd that is close to an original one..

Personally, I feel that b&w 685's aren't as musical and are best suited for movie purposes.. having said that, you should trust you ears over my opinion.. some speakers I feel you should audition are:

Dali Ikon 2
Dali Lektor 3 (the two dali's sound completelty diff and both are good in their own ways)
MA RX 2
Quad 11l2
PSB and Usher series (i'm being told that they are very good and planning to personally try these out this weekend. Will let you know what i felt)

Also, try to check out the Vdac from M
Musical Fidelity.. one of the best budget dacs i've ever heard..

Cheers!

Prashanth

prashanth,

how to play FLAC files in Itunes. As my source is Itunes 10.

After reading more websites reviews/WhatHifi. so i thought of B&W 685 is best one.

No doubt the B&W 685s are one of the best bookshelves. I had these lovely ones with me for about an year before my upgrade. To get the best out of these speakers it has to be paired with a powerful amp (minimum 120 watts @ 8 ohms recommended per channel) for two reasons ... Sensitivity level (db) of these speakers & the Kevlar Mid/Bass driver.

An integrated amplifier like NAD C372 (150 watts @ 8 ohms per channel) will be a good match for the B&W 685s.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back