Stereo Setup Help

greenhorn

I've relocated to the US recently, and am looking to set up a starter system.
In india, I use a 2.1 setup with a logitech Z2300 sub, an NAD 3020, and a DIY bookshelf with Philips HiQ woofers and a pair of peerless TL25SN Tweeters and a Tube preamp.

I have come to love the syrupy warmth of the combo (warm pre, warm amp, warm fullrangers!) , and everything else sounds rather clinical to me.

Currently I have placed an order with Dennis murphy for a pair of these
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
These are a custom Parts express BR 1 Kit. Ordered it mostly because of the great reviews.

But I've been having second thoughts about getting a low sensitivity bookshelf. Any money I save on the speakers, I will have to end up blowing on the amp to compensate. Current plan is a Dayton APA 150.

But the Woofers are out of stock for the past two weeks, and PE has still not recieved fresh stock ( they extended the deadline by another week yesterday) . I Guess I still have the option to cancel

I am beginning to consider something more high sensitivity, like the Klipsch RB 61 (or a BIC) , along with an Allo Volt+, or an entry level vintage amp (~25WPC), and maybe buy a sub later if needed.

I'm still conflicted if buying the klipsch is the right thing to do. For me, Bass is the most important, and mids are the second, and highs the third ( as long as they are not too harsh)

Gentlemen, request your inputs please.
My dilemma is,
Cheap Warm speakers that sound good need tons of power
Sensitive speakers which I can run off a decent entry level amp have a different sound signature, and may need a sub to take care of the low end

How do the horn loaded speakers like the RB 61 II do in terms of mids?
Would a tube pre be able to sort out their highs?

Geta Crown XLS 1502, and a tube pre-amp. It is fantastic for the price. you can check reviews all over audiophile forums.500+watts of cheap clean power.

@greenhorn - I've always felt klipsch to be too bright for my ears - may be because of their horn tweeters + titanium? May be it suits a phono as the music might be mellowed. If you're playing flacs I think there will be too much detail on the highs, nearing fatigue levels. May be it's just my ears.

The amplifier situation has fixed itself.

TypDdoP.jpg

Phil AAs are probably the best speakers you can get for that price range and unless you want ear splitting volumes. Unless you plan to play at ear splitting volumes dont worry about the sensitivity thing. Feel free to talk to dennis about your concerns he might have some guidance.

And even if you decide its a problem dont get Klipsch. There are tens of other better options out here especially in US. CBM 170s from ascend should be pretty good.
There are a few very popular cheap speaker shootout threads on avsforums check them out for other options.

In the end I decided to order a pioneer sp bs 22 as a temporary solution, and found myself blown away by them. Though they are not too resolving in the higher end with some roughness, the low end from such a small enclosure and the mids are amazing, and I tend to find myself Andrew Jones sound signature. Though some may say it's too mass market and not audiophile, it ticks my boxes and does so exceedingly well. Decided to cancel the philharmonic AA and sick to these!

Hello @greenhorn ,

I agree with your experience of portable book shelfs impressing you as much or more than high resolving speakers.

I recently built two 2-way systems with active crossover.
One uses 8" woofer and 2 x 3" full range.
The other uses 12" subwoofer and 12" full range.
Both sound fantastic with the larger one having noticeably more resolving power at all frequencies.

With that said, the smaller one is more forgiving when it come to source (both content and player) and you end up enjoying it with anything thrown at it. Speaker system with big drivers need the distance, the right volume and a room with good acoustics (not necessarily treated)
It is only in A/ B test does the larger one win (in fact hands down).

I will not be surprised if you will stick to book shelfs that you have got with its known limitations.

So congratulations and happy listening!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back