Stereo Setup in 50k. Chinese Amp for 10k + 40k speakers?

Nolasco

Since my Edifier C3 set has now died, looking to get a nice stereo setup for the living room. Im guessing pretty much anything I pick will be a massive upgrade from these speakers - I've heard the Swan D1080iv and found them really good but since speakers generally last very long, I figured I might as well get something really good so I wont be tempted to upgrade every couple of years.

I've attached a couple of pics of the room that I happened to have with me.
The room size is approx 12ft x 18ft. The current speakers were connected to the Tv as well as to the PC (I have a Xonar DG), and I used a Moto Stream for bluetooth streaming. Im not sure which speakers would suit the room as you'll notice theres a big showcase with plenty of glass so I guess that will affect the sound quite a bit.

Mostly listen to 80s/90s Rock and pop music, Hymns, and a bit of everything else. They would be mostly for background music and not too much of critical listening so would prefer speakers that I can play for long hours without getting tired of listening to them. Also, they should not be too critical of the source since I have a lot of songs encoded in mp3 (Have flac music as well but lots and lots of mp3 songs).

Have been browsing through the forums and was wondering whether it will be a better idea to pick up a chinese amp for about 10k and allocate the rest towards the speakers. Would it be a good idea to pick up floorstanders for about 40k since I'll need to get stands if I get a pair of bookshelves and may need a sub as well since bookshelves dont go as low as floorstanders?

Would the above be overkill considering I'm coming from a set of computer speakers and would something like the Mission LX2 + Chinese amp be more than enough for me? And maybe add in a sub to this combination if the LX2 is not very good at bass? My budget is flexbile and if im getting something really good in 25k I dont mind going with that option. On the other hand, if ill get significantly more value for even 60k, I dont mind stretching to that much.

Look forward to your opinions. I'm based in Mumbai btw so please also let me know where I can go to audition the speakers you guys recommend. I dont even mind second hand if i'm getting a really good deal. Thanks!

Attachments

• Liv room 1.jpg
    Liv room 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 496
  • Liv room2 (1).jpg
    Liv room2 (1).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 494
On the hfv sale thread.. There was a swans m200 mk3 foe sale from FM Jayaraa

That should be good.

I have no relationship with the seller

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm sure those will be excellent speakers, I'm looking for something that has some more flexibility with inputs and overall convenience (a remote:eek:hyeah:). The swans have only 2 inputs and I think going the passive + Amp route will give me better sound overall as well as potentially last much longer too. If going active, I guess the Q Acoustics BT3 + Sub will probably be the best option.

Since my Edifier C3 set has now died, looking to get a nice stereo setup for the living room.

I haven't used the Edifier C3.. But, googled for images, looks like you can still re-use the satellites & Subwoofer i guess..

Could you share some pics of satellites & subwoofer connectivity options (Only if you like to re-use them)

I've attached a couple of pics of the room that I happened to have with me. The room size is approx 12ft x 18ft.

May be one (or) two subs can work for you..

Have been browsing through the forums and was wondering whether it will be a better idea to pick up a chinese amp for about 10k and allocate the rest towards the speakers.

Better Idea IMO rather than spending hefty on stereo amplifier..

I have used the SMSL Q5 Pro for a good time.. It is a wonderful little stereo amplifier (10K) that has sub-out, USB input for PC, Co-axial, Optical, analogue input and a remote handy.. FX Audio is an other option for you, abt the same price.. But they lack dedicated sub-out..

Would it be a good idea to pick up floorstanders for about 40k since I'll need to get stands if I get a pair of bookshelves and may need a sub as well since bookshelves dont go as low as floorstanders?

Juz my thoughts.. It would be better to get a chinese amplifier for now, re-use your edifier satellites & subwoofer (if it allows) along with it.. Using the edifier satellites is good in way, bcoz they must be limited on bass output, where the subwoofer can make up for it..

Would the above be overkill considering I'm coming from a set of computer speakers and would something like the Mission LX2 + Chinese amp be more than enough for me? And maybe add in a sub to this combination if the LX2 is not very good at bass? My budget is flexbile and if im getting something really good in 25k I dont mind going with that option. On the other hand, if ill get significantly more value for even 60k, I dont mind stretching to that much.

It is a longish room.. sub(s) is more important..

Look forward to your opinions. I'm based in Mumbai btw so please also let me know where I can go to audition the speakers you guys recommend. I dont even mind second hand if i'm getting a really good deal. Thanks!

You anyways have good budget.. Just explore few things and make progressive upgrade..

Edit : The Subwoofer seems a passive one.. So you can't re-use that with chinese amplifier..

Last edited:
I haven't used the Edifier C3.. But, googled for images, looks like you can still re-use the satellites & Subwoofer i guess..

Could you share some pics of satellites & subwoofer connectivity options (Only if you like to re-use them)

May be one (or) two subs can work for you..

Better Idea IMO rather than spending hefty on stereo amplifier..

I have used the SMSL Q5 Pro for a good time.. It is a wonderful little stereo amplifier (10K) that has sub-out, USB input for PC, Co-axial, Optical, analogue input and a remote handy.. FX Audio is an other option for you, abt the same price.. But they lack dedicated sub-out..

Juz my thoughts.. It would be better to get a chinese amplifier for now, re-use your edifier satellites & subwoofer (if it allows) along with it.. Using the edifier satellites is good in way, bcoz they must be limited on bass output, where the subwoofer can make up for it..

It is a longish room.. sub(s) is more important..

You anyways have good budget.. Just explore few things and make progressive upgrade..
Yes I'm pretty sure I can reuse the edifier satellites and sub with a Chinese amp. The only connection the satellites and sub has are speaker wires that connected to the amp. I was thinking of shifting the edifiers to the bedroom with a basic Chinese amp like the Lepy / Breeze audio Tpa3116 based models which are available for about 3k on Ali express and getting a nice upgrade for the living room. I bought the edifier for about 6.5k about 5 years back so it's about time for an upgrade :D

I was considering getting maybe the Q5 Pro / Fx audio D802c or one of the other 10kish Chinese amps (have read the other thread where you, greenhorn, superczar etc were discussing about these amps and I think that makes sense) along with a nice set of speakers. I was quite content with the bass with just the one sub, and in fact had bought a set of Swan D1080 mach iv for a cousin and tried them out at home and their sound was quite a bit better than the edifier even though they didn't have a sub.

I've been reading in some threads that customs of 40 percent or so is now applicable on imports. Any idea about this? As this would significantly increase the cost of importing the Chinese amps.

As for the speakers, I'm a bit confused on what exactly I should look out for. I'm not in a hurry so can take my time with this. Would a Chinese amp along with the Mission Lx2 and a sub make for a really good setup? I guess I would need dedicated stands as well of I go this route? Alternatively, would getting a pair of floorstanders at around 40k be better? Iv also read great reviews of the Wharfedale Diamonds, zensor 3, Mx3, a few models from q acoustics and I guess even a couple of kef models would be within my budget. Since I'll be playing music quite a bit in the background, which speakers would play well with the Chinese amps? Are they too bright? I'd what something that I could play for long hours without it being too tiring.

P.S. Just had a look at the Q5 pro and that has only one socket for the sub output where my edifier sub has two wires just like for the speakers. I guess that sub out on the Q5 is for an active sub? In that case I guess I wouldn't be able to use the edifier sub with the Q5.

Last edited:
Yes I'm pretty sure I can reuse the edifier satellites and sub with a Chinese amp. The only connection the satellites and sub has are speaker wires that connected to the amp. I was thinking of shifting the edifiers to the bedroom with a basic Chinese amp like the Lepy / Breeze audio Tpa3116 based models which are available for about 3k on Ali express and getting a nice upgrade for the living room. I bought the edifier for about 6.5k about 5 years back so it's about time for an upgrade :D

Thatz a nice idea to re-use the speakers..:thumbsup:

I was considering getting maybe the Q5 Pro / Fx audio D802c or one of the other 10kish Chinese amps (have read the other thread where you, greenhorn, superczar etc were discussing about these amps and I think that makes sense) along with a nice set of speakers.

Great.. I used the Q5 pro in a 14 (W) x 11 (L) feet room and happy with it.. I used them with Klipsch RP 160M BS (96db) & Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS (86db).. They were comfortable driving them both to sufficient volume levels..

I was quite content with the bass with just the one sub, and in fact had bought a set of Swan D1080 mach iv for a cousin and tried them out at home and their sound was quite a bit better than the edifier even though they didn't have a sub.

An active sub SPL will be much higher than a passive SPL.. In that regard, you can settle for atleast one sub..

I've been reading in some threads that customs of 40 percent or so is now applicable on imports. Any idea about this? As this would significantly increase the cost of importing the Chinese amps.

This significantly varies.. There are FM who have imported an AVR & never paid anything & there are FM who have imported cheaper components and paid tax..

But i fairly recollect a FM who bought FX Audio D802, paid 1K as duty.. Worst case you might have to pay 2K at the most..

As for the speakers, I'm a bit confused on what exactly I should look out for. I'm not in a hurry so can take my time with this. Would a Chinese amp along with the Mission Lx2 and a sub make for a really good setup?

Yes IMO..

I guess I would need dedicated stands as well of I go this route?

If stands is not feasible (space constraints), then better to consider BS with wall mount options..

Alternatively, would getting a pair of floorstanders at around 40k be better?

2.1/2.2 is better than 2.0.. It gives more flexibility in tuning the bass to your liking..

Iv also read great reviews of the Wharfedale Diamonds, zensor 3, Mx3, a few models from q acoustics and I guess even a couple of kef models would be within my budget. Since I'll be playing music quite a bit in the background, which speakers would play well with the Chinese amps?

Incase you decide on FS, pick something that are more efficient..

Are they too bright? I'd what something that I could play for long hours without it being too tiring.

Nope.. Not the SMSL Q5 Pro..

P.S. Just had a look at the Q5 pro and that has only one socket for the sub output where my edifier sub has two wires just like for the speakers. I guess that sub out on the Q5 is for an active sub? In that case I guess I wouldn't be able to use the edifier sub with the Q5.

Yes.. sub-out on the Q5 is for active sub.. Right.. you will not be able to integrate the edifier sub with Q5 Pro..

Another Q5 Pro user here. My Tannoys at 86 db sensitivity is one of the least sensitive speakers around. The Q5 Pro drives them effortlessly. In a 11x10 room, i cant go beyond volume level 15. Typical listening level is around 10.

You can get a cheap chinese amp board and use one of the channels to connect the sub-out of the Q5 pro to drive the Edifier C3 subwoofer for bass. I use a TPA3116 for the same purpose and it works beautifully.

But why are you looking for the chinese amp at 50K budget ? Even if you spend 25K on bookshelf speakers, you can get a reasonable stereo amp from Cambridge Audio and similar.

Well i plan on using the Edifier satellite along with the sub in the bedroom as the satellites by themselves won't sound too good. I could get another sub for the living room to use with this setup if required.

I have no experience with electronics so getting a Chinese board and using it would a bit beyond my comfort zone so I'd prefer getting a finished product unless someone from Mumbai can help me out with this :)

The reason I was considering a Chinese amp was so that I could then allocate the major portion of the budget towards the speakers which I believe would make the maximum impact on sound quality.

Which mainstream amps would I get in the range of 25k? I remember pre gst there were some sales on the Marantz PM5005 and 6005 models at 21k and 30k respectively but pricing seems to have gone up significantly since then.

What I was now thinking of going is ordering a Chinese amp and then taking that along with me to audition the speakers and then decide. That would give me a budget of about 40-45k for the speakers.

After reading plenty of reviews, I think I should auction the speakers below. Any inputs?

Mission Lx2 , Mx 3
Q Acoustics 2020i, 3020 and Concept 20.
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 225 and 230
Dali Zensor 1 and zensor 3
Kef Q100 and Q300

If the cheaper bookshelves have really good sound except bass, maybe I could combine them with a sub.

I'm not in a hurry so can take time hearing the speakers and researching the best combination. I cold stretch the budget a bit if there's something that'll give me significantly better sound for not much more.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Picking the right speakers is the good to go in my opinion.
Try tomtop.com if you are planning to buy tpa3116. It is available for 350 rs + 150 shipping . I think you can give a try .
Just type tpa3116 on Google which may give you the right link.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have spare FX audio 802C new one..played only for testing purpose, If you want I can give you the same . Import price at that time was some 12500INR with power supply. Quote your price and take it.

Picking the right speakers is the good to go in my opinion.
Try tomtop.com if you are planning to buy tpa3116. It is available for 350 rs + 150 shipping . I think you can give a try .
Just type tpa3116 on Google which may give you the right link.

Have you used this site before? The Q5 pro is available here at just 6.4 which seems like a steal compared to on Ali Express. Let me know if you have experience with this website and if its safe to order from here?

if you're buying a tpa3116, go for one of the better implementations - the cheap chinese ones on ebay could do with some mods

alternately, get one from https://www.eightaudio.in/products/...s-d-audio-amplifier-board?variant=31711806289 (won't support a sub though)

Hmmm if I order just the board, how do I then go about assembling it? Can I use it the way it comes? Will need some help if its an uninfinished product which this seems to be as I'm not an electronics student :D

I have spare FX audio 802C new one..played only for testing purpose, If you want I can give you the same . Import price at that time was some 12500INR with power supply. Quote your price and take it.

How old is it? A new one on Ali express is currently available for 8.3k including the power supply.

If I go the bookshelf + Sub route along with the Q5 Pro, which powered sub should I look for? I think the good subs will only come at 20-25k or more, right? Does it make sense to get bookshelves around 20-25k or even lesser (Mission LX2 at approx 16k) along with a sub for 25k or would it be a better idea to just get a pair of bookshelves / floorstanders at 40-45k? Confused about this.

Was doing some reading and I believe if I go for a sub, things like the crossover need to be adjusted and match well with the bookshelves. Will the bookshelves also play full range or is there a way to channel the low frequencies only to the sub?

If I go the bookshelf + Sub route along with the Q5 Pro, which powered sub should I look for? I think the good subs will only come at 20-25k or more, right? Does it make sense to get bookshelves around 20-25k or even lesser (Mission LX2 at approx 16k) along with a sub for 25k or would it be a better idea to just get a pair of bookshelves / floorstanders at 40-45k? Confused about this.

Was doing some reading and I believe if I go for a sub, things like the crossover need to be adjusted and match well with the bookshelves. Will the bookshelves also play full range or is there a way to channel the low frequencies only to the sub?

The SMSL Q5 Pro sub-out signal is a fixed 200Hz..

If you are picking a sub, then best would be to pick a sealed satellite speakers than a ported bookshelf, which would be limited on bass abilities say 150Hz.. Then you can use the sub's crossover to fairly match the speaker..This way the bass between the speaker & sub-woofer is not duplicated...

(or) you can pick a BS & sub and use the crossover on the sub to fairly match the BS speakers..

IMO, satellite + sub is better than BS + sub to avoid duplication of bass (in case of SMSL Q5 Pro)..

How old is it? A new one on Ali express is currently available for 8.3k including the power supply.

it is one year old..may be you go with aliexpress...it all depends on custom duty and originality of the product..anyway you can have this with 8.5k

Last edited:
After reading plenty of reviews, I think I should auction the speakers below. Any inputs?

Mission Lx2 , Mx 3
Q Acoustics 2020i, 3020 and Concept 20.
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 225 and 230
Dali Zensor 1 and zensor 3
Kef Q100 and Q300

If the cheaper bookshelves have really good sound except bass, maybe I could combine them with a sub.

I'm not in a hurry so can take time hearing the speakers and researching the best combination. I cold stretch the budget a bit if there's something that'll give me significantly better sound for not much more.

Some models are available in "For sale by owner" section.Check it.

Have you used this site before? The Q5 pro is available here at just 6.4 which seems like a steal compared to on Ali Express. Let me know if you have experience with this website and if its safe to order from here?
I have placed the order for 3116 a week before. 380+150 rs delivery. Will be delivered next month first week. Let's wait and see how it goes!!

So I dropped in at MZ Audio in Bandra today and they had the Marantz PM5005 and PM6006 for 20k and 36k respectively (without any bargaining). Would these be significantly better than the Q5 Pro / Fx Audio D802c?

I also wanted to try out the speakers they had (Mission, Boston acoustics and Taga) however the guy in charge was in a hurry to go somewhere so couldn't try them out today.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back