Stereo setup, thinking of pairing SCHITT RAGNAROK 2 with WHARFEDALE LINTONS, suggestions are most welcome,i am new to it so please take that into a/c

Priyankar Mitra

Stereo setup, thinking of pairing SCHHITT RAGNAROK 2 WITH WHARFEDALE LINTONS, suggestions are most welcome,i am new to it so please take that into a/c

Stereo setup, thinking of pairing SCHHITT RAGNAROK 2 WITH WHARFEDALE LINTONS, suggestions are most welcome,i am new to it so please take that into a/c

When I auditioned the Lintons I found them having good rhythm, airier sound and a bit thinness in the bass. They are quite easy to drive and a 60WPC SS amp (Audiolab 6000A) drove it reasonably well. But when it was coupled with a much more premium Luxman, it delighted me. So, the Lintons do respond to quality power. They don’t need a lot of power though.

What I felt the Lintons would probably gain from is amplification that gives more body to its sound. And thought (though couldn’t check) that a tube amp (or at least tube pre) might help there. Kind of like how the Klipsch Heritage pair well with Cary Audio tube amps. One could look at tube options more compatible with the Linton’s price range.

Where does Ragnarok fare in all this? I don’t know. But since you’d have studied the amp and possibly auditioned it, you can put two and two together.

Requesting @vivek_r, a senior FM who has auditioned and reviewed the Lintons to pitch in.

A senior FM sounds ominous Sachin!!!

Priyankar the first thing to consider is your room. If it is small bedroom then the Linton will overwhelm with bass. If it is a larger living room and you can pull out your speakers when you listen (say 3 ft from back wall and you are still sitting say 6 plus feet away) then ideal.

I listened to Linton’s with a variety of music. It was an all rounder. It had enough punch and dynamics for rock type music and nuanced enough for voice and strings. So think of it as Jadeja in cricket. Not the best but can make magic happen and help team win (including by fielding).

On Ragnarok, let us break it into 2 parts. First the power. 60W into 8 ohms and 100W into 4 means it has reasonable current delivery. The stereophile review of Linton says “The Wharfedale will work best with amplifiers that are comfortable driving 4 ohms.” The stereophile measurements (bless them) again reveals that Schiit is ok with that kind of impedance.

The second part - the sonic combination - no clue. I have heard only one Schiit product the Asgard 3 (headphone amp) which I own and listen now and then when chased out of the living room. I like it, without being ga ga about it like I was with my old Leben as a headphone amp.

Good luck. You will need to take a punt and or search the Internet and hope someone has listened to the combination and has the same sonic tastes like you. But I think selling either of these in the second hand market should be possible in the worst case that it flops for you.

Onerous? Perhaps. Ominous, why? I didn’t write ‘senior citizen’ but ‘senior FM’. It’s about period/activity in the forum, not biological age.

Audiophilia sometimes makes you sound like a nut. And a senior nut here!

I love it though. The hunt. The vicarious pleasure. The plethora of opinions. All otherwise seemingly normal people with families, jobs, everyday concerns can go nuts trying to find a better interconnect (my current want/need, since I can’t afford to change anything anyway).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back