Story of Infrasonic Subwoofer (105db @ 8hz)

prateekatasniya

Story of achieving 105db at 8hz

I Bought genelec 8040b pair.(November 2015)

I Was awestruck by the bass it produced for its size and Felt why a subwoofer is needed for those speakers.

Later I Had the itch to experience frequencies down to 20hz, so bought genelec 7060b subwoofer after a couple of years.

"Awestruck moment again"

The depth and feel of bass with subwoofer got addictive. ( For both movies and music)
Next was the itch to build a monster subwoofer that's better than my existing sub,
Which can play with finesse when needed and satisfy both my movie and music needs.

After lot of studies on the technical front and also after studying the world class subs in the market, I understood Sealed sub was the way to go.

Performance down to single digit frequencies was my goal.

2 months of vigorous research and simulating many drivers, day in and day out, I found a way to achieve my target using an 18" subwoofer driver.

( Higher the SPL capability of a sub, lesser the strain on the driver leading to lesser distortion- no subwoofer can be overpowering in a room - overpowering bass is in the hands of the person setting the subwoofer volume)

After thorough study I understood DSP is a must to extract the best performance and to equalise to get flat bass.

As my crown xls1502 don't have on board dsp, I Bought Minidsp 2x4 ( a mistake- as Max output is 0.9 volts and I needed at least 2 volts to avoid clipping)

Spent hell lot of time trying various EQ filters.. both manual and REW generated filters.
Learning REW took time however results were breathtaking.

In this study process, I understood the importance of rock solid enclosures for best performance of sealed subs, and I built a sub enclosure as strong as possible with extensive bracing.

Another aim was to keep the weight of the subwoofer in check so that it could be moved relatively easily if needed.
Choosing driver with Neodymium magnet saved 4 kilos.
Chose 13ply 18mm birch plywood to make to cabinet more stronger,lighter and durable
Passive design meant Amplifier weight reduced and a single cable needed to connect the subwoofer.
This lead to a weight reduction of around 15 kilos.

After all this, I spent days and weeks on integrating my sub and did everything possible to get the best bass response possible.

Final result was absolutely jaw dropping performance.
I fall short of words to describe Pre and Post Calibration difference and also the difference between this 18" subwoofer and my Genelec 7060b is incomparable.
AQUAMAN is my favourite movie to test the sub or rather enjoy the real potential of the sub.
Passengers movie outside ship scenes have incredible tactile feel.
This tactile feel is a thing to experience for any audio enthusiast.

In room Max SPL at listening position -
105 db at 8hz ( limited by amp+minidsp)
120db at 30hz
Subwoofer location- corner
Room size - 16.5 x 13 feet

Will measure again once I upgrade the amplifier.
Expecting better performance.

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

• IMG-20200727-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20200727-WA0015.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG-20200727-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20200727-WA0014.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Story of achieving 105db at 8hz

I Bought genelec 8040b pair.(November 2015)

I Was awestruck by the bass it produced for its size and Felt why a subwoofer is needed for those speakers.

Later I Had the itch to experience frequencies down to 20hz, so bought genelec 7060b subwoofer after a couple of years.

"Awestruck moment again"

The depth and feel of bass with subwoofer got addictive. ( For both movies and music)
Next was the itch to build a monster subwoofer that's better than my existing sub,
Which can play with finesse when needed and satisfy both my movie and music needs.

After lot of studies on the technical front and also after studying the world class subs in the market, I understood Sealed sub was the way to go.

Performance down to single digit frequencies was my goal.

2 months of vigorous research and simulating many drivers, day in and day out, I found a way to achieve my target using an 18" subwoofer driver.

( Higher the SPL capability of a sub, lesser the strain on the driver leading to lesser distortion- no subwoofer can be overpowering in a room - overpowering bass is in the hands of the person setting the subwoofer volume)

After thorough study I understood DSP is a must to extract the best performance and to equalise to get flat bass.

As my crown xls1502 don't have on board dsp, I Bought Minidsp 2x4 ( a mistake- as Max output is 0.9 volts and I needed at least 2 volts to avoid clipping)

Spent hell lot of time trying various EQ filters.. both manual and REW generated filters.
Learning REW took time however results were breathtaking.

In this study process, I understood the importance of rock solid enclosures for best performance of sealed subs, and I built a sub enclosure as strong as possible with extensive bracing.

Another aim was to keep the weight of the subwoofer in check so that it could be moved relatively easily if needed.
Choosing driver with Neodymium magnet saved 4 kilos.
Chose 13ply 18mm birch plywood to make to cabinet more stronger,lighter and durable
Passive design meant Amplifier weight reduced and a single cable needed to connect the subwoofer.
This lead to a weight reduction of around 15 kilos.

After all this, I spent days and weeks on integrating my sub and did everything possible to get the best bass response possible.

Final result was absolutely jaw dropping performance.
I fall short of words to describe Pre and Post Calibration difference and also the difference between this 18" subwoofer and my Genelec 7060b is incomparable.
AQUAMAN is my favourite movie to test the sub or rather enjoy the real potential of the sub.
Passengers movie outside ship scenes have incredible tactile feel.
This tactile feel is a thing to experience for any audio enthusiast.

In room Max SPL at listening position -
105 db at 8hz ( limited by amp+minidsp)
120db at 30hz
Subwoofer location- corner
Room size - 16.5 x 13 feet

Will measure again once I upgrade the amplifier.
Expecting better performance.

Thank you for reading :)
It's phenomenal to achieve such results with single sub. First 10mins of Under Water movie got good tactile feel try to watch it.

Which driver did you use ? Make and Model ? AFAIK all Crown XLS Drivecore 2 series amp have onboard DSP. What were you looking for exactly?

Which driver did you use ? Make and Model ? AFAIK all Crown XLS Drivecore 2 series amp have onboard DSP. What were you looking for exactly?
I needed parametric equalization.. which isn't available in the XLS series..
Just crossover is there on XLS series.

I think Crown CDI drive core amp have those DSP and parametric EQ features...I have recently seen this in one of our FM setup. But not 100 percent sure.

Ohk, but what about the driver? Looks like a Pro/PA Sub, is it?
Yeah..
Pro driver is needed to get extreme transient response..( think speed and clarity)
Its cone weight equals the weight of a regular 12" driver.
And larger the driver lesser the cone movement needed to produce the desired SPL..

People thinking small drivers are fast and big drivers are slow should think again. :)

I guess the minidsp 2*4 HD would have served you better as it goes till 2V
Yeah.. that's why I mentioned it as a mistake :(
Or else I could have achieved better performance.

So, Will directly upgrade my amplifier and use this minidsp to develop a speaker.

Please share more details of the drivers used, the methods for making the sealed enclosure, as I am in a similar boat, although I am looking at 2 12 inch subs or 15 inch subs rather than 1 18 inch sub. Also, share the costs involved in the process and dos and donts.

Update:
Achieved 110db at 10hz with subwoofer placed in the centre of the front wall.
Can push further ( minidsp being the limiting factor)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back