Strange Problem Marantz PM5005

anubisX

I'm having this problem recently with my Marantz PM5005. After shifting to my new room, I connected the setup and played for 3 days, everything went fine. On 4th day, I plugged in the amp, turned the power switch <click> blue input LEDs lit <click> turned off and the power LED started blinking. The amp goes into protection mode. I was plugging the 15A plug into 6A socket.

Tried different sockets, different rooms, nothing. Checked the voltage, steady. Called the dealer, told me to get a 15A stabilizer. I don't see any flickering and the meter shows steady voltage, why would I buy the stabilizer ? I took the amp with me to the dealer, he unplugged his AVR and put the cord in, the blue LEDs are lit and stays lit. Powered on / off several times, no problem. Only thing is I didn't take my power cord with me so I'm not sure what's at fault. Brought back the amp and same problem. Took again and this time dealer said he'll get me a new unit if faulty. But same thing, plays fine at his place.

ok, let me ask a stupid question, does the amp have a 15A plug ? If it does, why is it plugged in a 6A socket ? Looking at the pics, I see that it is a detachable power cord, so ideally it should be plugged into any 6A socket with a suitable power cord. When I bought my sub-woofer that too came with a 15A plug power cord, I just removed the power cord from my PC and connected it to the SUB and everything worked fine. I'm guessing that all connections were removed prior to testing the AMP @ home for any shorts.

Best Regards,
Rajiv

Hi

There is NEVER a 15A plug cord for AVRs....I use the SR series of marantz and it has the 5/6A plug.....

Please check the power sockets at home...also check the speaker wire connections (banana plug sockets is safer) bare wires can cause issues.

chk power cord also, many a time power cord provided by white goods company like marantz is of very poor quality

All the banana plugs are unplugged, RCA jacks are unplugged, only power cord is connected. I know it's stupid of me to connect the 16A plug in 6A socket but I never thought it's a 16A plug. The plug says " Volex. M3204. 16A 250V~"

Try checking the amp in another socket. If the same thing happens try taking your amp to a neighbor or a friend's house to check.

If it works, then there might be some issues with your earthing or electricity leakage, etc.

Will have to do that now. It was working fine in my friend's place before I set it up in my room. Will take it to friend's place again and see. All the wirings are new in my new room with earthing.

Last edited:
Usually i use a SPIKE guard which has LED indicators to show if there is a Fault in supply or Ground out etc,,,,if you have something like that, plug the same in and check

In Marantz amplifiers the power transformer energize by a relay with a time delay. During that time there is a small dip due to large inrush current of the transformer. In week network if the voltage dips a lot than limit then the amp goes to protection mode.

Check the following.
1. Check the voltage for about 220 - 240V steady.
2. If the voltage is ok check the socket with a 100W test lamp. Some times the Neutral point may be loose. In such cases multimeter show voltage but lamp/load will not work.

Dear,

I had the same problem with my maranz pm- 6005. On inquiry form their authorised service centre they informed me that it is due to power fluctuation and it is to be reset again. what they did :-
1 first power on
2 press both speakers button simultaneously.

it is for reset of amp.

However It did not work for me and I have to send it to mumbai to mz distributors and they replace the all internal hardware of amp. (it was in warranty).

You can also do the same to reset the amt. and if it does not work please contact service centre
if you are delhi you can contact Mr. Shantanu at 011- 4548299 at Delhi

SKS gave me another power cord to test but still nothing. Whenever I take the amp to SKS, it works fine in their showroom. Now, SKS is saying that the amp stays powered on there so it's not a fault and can't give a replacement. So I'm stuck in this situation. I'll try the reset thing though.

Reset didn't work. I even tried what SKS did, connect the power cord switched on to the amp and still nothing.

Another electrician came and checked the line, no voltage drop. He said that there's something wrong with the amp itself, get a replacement.

Reset didn't work. I even tried what SKS did, connect the power cord switched on to the amp and still nothing.

Another electrician came and checked the line, no voltage drop. He said that there's something wrong with the amp itself, get a replacement.

Please check it at one of your neighbors' place and report to us:).

Did you check the manual or internet if that behavior signifies anything?

Checked with neighbor and same problem. We have 3 electricity meters and the problem shows in every one of them. This time I'm taking the amp to SKS and will ask them to connect the speakers and listen for an hour or so.

Checked with neighbor and same problem. We have 3 electricity meters and the problem shows in every one of them. This time I'm taking the amp to SKS and will ask them to connect the speakers and listen for an hour or so.
Did you try in another location, a friends place in another building?

A friend faced a similar issue when he moved into his new apartment. The issue turned out to be a grounding issue at the main distribution itself. New apartments do have some teething troubles.

If your amp worked fine Twice at the dealers place, then I would not move it around or get it opened without making myself 200% sure that the current supply is still perfectly okay. Is there an option to try it out in your previous apartment?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back