Strange problem with ATI 4850

shredder

Hey guys this is a really wierd problem. I wonder if anyone has heard of similar problem let alone encountered one.
My Graphiccs Card ATI 4850 has two DVI ports at the back. Of late it has stopped outputting any signal when connected through DVI cable. However when I use a DVI to RGB converter and use normal RGB cable then it works.:confused:
The problem is not with the cable because I tried with two other cables which work fine in other setups. Any suggestions??? because I am not ready to consign the graphics card to the rubbish bin yet.....

I can be due to new driver installed if any.
DVI to RGB is analoge & you are not getting digital output from it.

uninstall and reinstall driver.. looks like driver corruption..

that can be the only probably cause...

also check if the monitor is working.. can be an issue on the dvi port on monitor..

another thing can be the refresh rate set too high for digital output that monitor goes blank.. that can be one of the cause..

check the monitor > then reinstall driver.

try to install the driver that came in the cd.. u might have got an update with windows update.. that might have got some bugs..

try a driver rollback or system restore.

also load the bios defaults..

if still no go.. reseat you pci-e card.. it might have happened.. u never know.. for me reseatign card solved many problems.. that google had no idea bout..

did ya tried both the dvi ports ?? with a working dvi cable.. ??

bios reset..

card reseat..

check monitor port with other sytem..

driver reinstall..

clean the pins..

upgrade bios.. new firmware..

new chipset drivers.. if interl architecture for the north bridge..

if amd.. the master chip..

also is it a viewsonic monitor.. they are known to have issues with ati 4xxx series card..

i forgot to mention... first try goin to bios and chk if the first display initialization is set to onboard or pci-e and also chk if the onboard display is set to be used.. it can be the cause as well...

Last edited:
try remembering what change you did to your system before this problem occured do a system restore if that be the case or try rolling back drivers these are the most common and most widely reported reasons for a graphic card related problem if this is not the problem it must be a hardware problem.

I had similar problem with 7300 VGA & if I press the card(with PC on)display would come back.Sametime HDMI(DVI>HDMI)working fine.

Thanks for inputs guys. Tried and tested all recommended steps but no go.
@spiro when you say "press the card" what exactly do you mean? I had used a DVI to HDMI cable some time back with no problem (this was while the DVI to DVI was not giving signal) to connect to TV, but now even this is not working. (It is not faulty cable, I tried with new one also). So just wondering what could be the problem. jerry53 suggested that it could be a hardware problem, but if it is a hardware problem then the card should not be functioning at all, right???

check if the fan on the card is running.... it might be that its just passing the onboard analogue signal....

u said u checked the steps.. reseating the card and bios flash as well..

chk in device manager.. what does it states...

also did u tried turning on the computer. with the dvi cable...

if it shows bios screen and then goes blank..definitely its the OS.. but even if thats not working.. can be card issue.. but try to get the card out .. try cleaning the pins...

also did ya chk the bios settings for the pci-e card and the size limit...

and what display is selected..

Fan on card is running fine.

Reseated the card. Before reseating it cleaned everything, blew off all the dust with a vaccuum cleaner. But not BIOS flash, I don't want to brick the motherboard!!!

Tried turning on the computer with DVI cable ... no signal at all

bios flash will not brick the mobo.. these are regular upgarde provided by the manufacturer as well..

these are firmware upgrade.. also chk for the firmware upgrade for your ati card..

as this is a common issue with ati 4xxx series card.. might be a bug.

what brand ati is it .. also what ur mobo brand...

i will try to get the company released firmwarres for the same.. see if we can fix it..

also u got any other friend's computer.. where we can check that card to figure out if its the mobo or your card..

what power supply are you using.. is it like 500w or above ??

buddy u dint respond.. is it a viewsonic monitor...

u got two dvi ports right ??

connect both to the monitor.. ( m sure this will solve it)

dvi -dvi and dvi(vga)- monitor..

turn ur pc on.. chk the monitor will work now with the vga..

turn the pc off.. unplug the monitor power supply for say a min.. remove the vga and keep only the digital and
fire back up... it should be there.. this sometimes happends due to corrupted monitor EDID..

even if that does not solves the problem.... remove the bios (battery for 5 mins) push it in again.. try..

last options is to flash bios... this will resolve the issue for sure..

with the monitor settings try to select digital input manually and also

does the monitor show no signal or a blank screen with amber light..

Last edited:
It's PALIT card.... mobo is ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS
Monitor is a DELL. It used to work fine before.

The monitor works with the DVI to VGA adaptor.... you want me to connect both to the monitor at the same time? You sure this will not cause a big bang??
Thing is that earlier it used to work with a DVI to HDMI cable but now even that stopped working.
When I select DIGITAL INPUT manually it shows as no signal and enters standby mode....

Power supply is CoolerMaster 600W.

But not BIOS flash, I don't want to brick the motherboard!!!
Never ever do that. Risks are extremely high even when done properly. And considering the fact that it mostly doesn't add any value that you can put to use, its not worth taking the risk.

just tried your recommended method of connecting both ports simultaneously.... no dice.
Maybe it is a hardware problem, but then why is it giving signal at all... This is what bugs me......

okie if you dont want to do a bios flasg thats fine... but atleast take the card out and try it at your friends PC just to verify if the card delivers digital output on other mobo..

if that works.. than its ur mobo.. either get replaced or flash..

if that does not work then get the card replaced..

@spiro when you say "press the card" what exactly do you mean?

Saying that I opened the cabinate while PC was on(with good earthing needed).I cld get display on LCD(DVI>HDMI)but VGA wont start OR shut down display within 5min.So while PC running,I pressed the card(Pusshed in further to get rid of loose contact if any)& display would come.Again it use to go OR work there after.(it is risky though without any isolation)
I am not sure whether it was due to loose contact OR heat.(my GC fan was not working that time)

Omg ! Dude palit cards suck ! I have one , n it has been replaced 4 times ... Moreover cooler master extreme series psu are POS ... I had 500w one ... google about their horror stories ... Ill suggest u to get good psu asap ! Palit had very high rate of failures in ati 4 series lineup ... That's why imo they stopped mfg ati cards ... In ur case , if it still dont o/p digital signal@ur friends place , try to rma it ...

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back