Strange problem with Tata Sky Plus HD - Need Help

Illusionist

I have been facing an issue with my Tata Sky Plus HD STB for the last 4 months approx. Some programs get randomly recorded without me scheduling recording for them. The red button for recording glows throughout the duration of the program and I am unable to cancel the recording at that time for these recordings by pressing "TV" and then "Select". Also once the program is over, I can see the entry by pressing the "Plan" button and then selecting "Recorded" programs. But these entries only have "Play from Start" option. The other options like Lock, Delete etc. are not available. And selecting "Play from Start" does not play the recording but switches the channel to the original one from which the program was recorded and shows the current program on that channel.

This kind of bogus recording entries have accumulated to a handful in these past months and I do not know a way of getting rid of them. Scheduled recordings work as usual and I don't have problem with these.

I contacted Tata Sky CC and they instructed me to format the disk. I do not want to format the disk and lose my genuine recordings. Please help me if you have been facing a similar issue and have been able to solve it.

I have Tata Sky Plus HD since Feb 2011 (since launch) and this issue has started occurring since May 2013.

If program is recording, then press "SELECT". You will see a pop-up, then press "(R)" again to cancel the recording. It works on your STB? As you mentioned there are many features are not available you should try to upgrade the firmware.

This used to happen to my HD+ box as well. Random programmes would start recording and the box behaved exactly as you described. Before I could contact Tata sky, I had to go abroad for nearly 4 weeks during which time my box was not used. When I came back the problem disappeared! During this time there were some firmware updates. Wonder if that did the trick?

I have already upgraded to the latest firmware sometime ago by following the steps referred in an earlier post. But this has not helped. Still the random recordings continue.

Did you try switching off the mains, unplugging, waiting for 10 mins and trying again? Is there a master reset in the menu? I dont recall seeing it. Try it out if its there.

@ILLUSIONIST,

Yeah, I too had faced the same problem a few months back. Now it is not there, I do not know how the problem vanished.

Had a similar issue a couple of times when I was not even able to delete the item - despite it accepting the command. The problem has not occurred in the past couple of months.

I haven't faced above problem but am facing another strange problem since few months.
When switched off by remote, the STB goes into what I would call a -"extreme standby" mode after some time.
In this mode neither my universal remote nor my HT (onkyo system) remote works to swtich the STB on. Only tata sky remote works and the STB starts as if it is switched on from mains with "set top box starting up" message etc.
Another strange but good thing is if there is any recording scheduled, the STB does record it, probably by switching itself on, and if its switched on using any remote during such recording, it does start normally.
If anyone has faced similar problems and knows the solution let me know.

Haven't faced random program record issue, but I have 2 HD+ and some months back, a program set to record on one would randomly record on both. Issue may have been fixed at some point, as I haven't seen this for a while now.

Even I have faced the same issue and has happened twice.

My STB is kept ON overnight and twice it has happened that whichever channel was kept on, one of the program slot got recorded. Once it was a 3 hour movie and now I cannot remove it! The other time it was a 30 min serial that was recorded. Both cannot be removed now.

I faced another strange issue once, we had to go out for dinner one Sunday and I had put the Comedy Night and Comedy Circus to be recorded and kept one of the channel running one to avoid any overlap issue.

When I checked the next day, the channel that was kept running showed as recorded but it did not show any content, it played a black screen for one hour duration. The second planned show did not get recorded at all!

Weird stuff off late, wonder if its showing its age.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks for your updates. When you say the issue has automatically resolved, I presume the random recordings have stopped. Were you able to delete the unneeded entries (i.e. those of previous random recordings) from the list of recordings after that?

I've never been NOT able to delete anything that was recorded.

In fact if you don't want a recorded show to be accidentally deleted, you can lock it with a pin (default is 0000)

Also, note that you can record programs from the TS website, so please make sure you are not setting anything to record from there.

Last edited:
please make sure you are not setting anything to record from there.

In my case TS website is not used to record any program. Still these odd issues exist.

I plan to log a ticket for these over the weekend.

If any one knows how to delete these recordings, please share.

I haven't faced above problem but am facing another strange problem since few months.
When switched off by remote, the STB goes into what I would call a -"extreme standby" mode after some time.
In this mode neither my universal remote nor my HT (onkyo system) remote works to swtich the STB on. Only tata sky remote works and the STB starts as if it is switched on from mains with "set top box starting up" message etc.
Another strange but good thing is if there is any recording scheduled, the STB does record it, probably by switching itself on, and if its switched on using any remote during such recording, it does start normally.

Is your problem solved? I am facing similiar problem in 2 of my HD plus set top boxes.

Is your problem solved? I am facing similiar problem in 2 of my HD plus set top boxes.

I have this same problem with my tata sky hd box. I switched off the tata sky box over night (mains power) but still no help.

Yes this i happening, i guess this is a new feature activated after software update to conserve energy. Didn't find any issue in this,pressing Power button switches on the stb at once

I have this same problem with my tata sky hd box. I switched off the tata sky box over night (mains power) but still no help.

No it is still the same way. But this is occurring since a very long time (about a year and not since recent software upgrades).
Another issue I face is the green led for on mode does not light up always. Its very rarely (definitely during a recharge :) ) that it lights up. So red = off, no light = on for me.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back