Stream your Music from phone using wireless

parambir

Since the day I got my Minix Neo U1, I have been wondering how to stream my music using wireless technique to my minix/Receiver from my android phone without much hassles and use a freeware (don't we all love it :eek:hyeah:). While I am thankful to all forum members to share my concern and provide me their valuable suggestions, nevertheless my quest has given me the solution I was looking for.

Here is what I have done.

Step 1. Download an app called UPnPlay from play store (It has a small android logo as icon).
Step 2. After installing, don't launch the app. First switch on your Minix player or any Receiver that supports DLNA/UPnP. In my case my Minix as well as Yamaha 671 support it. Make sure they are on same network (WiFi) as your smart phone / tab.
Step 3. Now launch the app. Once you launch, you will notice the Renderer window. Here all your devices seen on WiFi will be listed. Select the one you want to play your music / videos on.
Step 4. Select your playlist or the files you want to stream. hit Play.
Step 5. You can hear the music stream to your device selected earlier.

I have tested this on my desktop which too is connected to the wifi network and has Kobi installed, on my Minix and Yamaha receiver.

All the best...
:clapping:

Since the day I got my Minix Neo U1, I have been wondering how to stream my music using wireless technique to my minix/Receiver from my android phone without much hassles and use a freeware (don't we all love it :eek:hyeah:). While I am thankful to all forum members to share my concern and provide me their valuable suggestions, nevertheless my quest has given me the solution I was looking for.

Step 1. Download an app called UPnPlay from play store (It has a small android logo as icon).

Yes thats a brilliant app. All Android devices at home have it to stream stuff from the Pi3

Nice app indeed. But problem is - when it streams to AVR...it downsamples music. That's why I dont like these kind of apps.
IMHO. YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It does downsamples it to 48k. I don't think they can send at higher than this but I still need to search. As an interim this works for me as I don't always have to put everything on my ext hdd connected to minix.

Step 2. After installing, don't launch the app. First switch on your Minix player or any Receiver that supports DLNA/UPnP. In my case my Minix as well as Yamaha 671 support it. Make sure they are on same network (WiFi) as your smart phone / tab.
Step 3. Now launch the app. Once you launch, you will notice the Renderer window. Here all your devices seen on WiFi will be listed. Select the one you want to play your music / videos on.
Step 4. Select your playlist or the files you want to stream. hit Play.
Step 5. You can hear the music stream to your device selected earlier.

I have tested this on my desktop which too is connected to the wifi network and has Kobi installed, on my Minix and Yamaha receiver.

All the best...
:clapping:

Told you UPnp/DLNA is the way to go. There is no downsampling in decent paid apps, plus lots of other features. Else as @saikatbiswas82 said YMMV, so if you are ok with it ...enjoy music wirelessly:)

Told you UPnp/DLNA is the way to go. There is no downsampling in decent paid apps, plus lots of other features. Else as @saikatbiswas82 said YMMV, so if you are ok with it ...enjoy music wirelessly:)

UPnP was not contested. I was looking for options where I can access my complete library including ext storage where all my songs are saved and this app allowed me to do so. As far as downsampling is concerned... mp3 by itself is lossy compression so it does not bother me.

Nice app indeed. But problem is - when it streams to AVR...it downsamples music. That's why I dont like these kind of apps.
IMHO. YMMV.

Any suggestion on any other app that doesn't down sample, paid or otherwise - priority being ease of usage?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Any suggestion on any other app that doesn't down sample, paid or otherwise - priority being ease of usage?

I am not sure about down sample part. I have asked the maker of this software. Since we play mp3 which as it is is compressed I would not worry about it. This is pretty easy to use. Try it. Down sample part I will check by playing multi channel audio and let you know.

UPnP was not contested. I was looking for options where I can access my complete library including ext storage where all my songs are saved and this app allowed me to do so. As far as downsampling is concerned... mp3 by itself is lossy compression so it does not bother me.

Yep and that option you were looking for is best achieved by UPnP, thats what I am saying right from the beginning :).... And its not "this" app that has made you do so, almost all apps that work on UPnP will let you achieve the same including BubbleUPnP...:)

As regaHA said BubbleUPnP paid one is really good another one I highly recommend and prefer over Bubble UPnP is AirAudio I have posted the play store link as well in my previous post...

Again not contesting what you said earlier I have been experimenting with upnp. My priority being free because that's what the Internet is suppose to be and convenience of use. Again. .. I may not stick to this app and will be experimenting more and posting their results so that newbies like me can follow this.

well, Intenet supposed to be "free" I don't necessarily agree completely with your ideology here, but let keep this discussion for another thread :) , lets agree to disagree here. :D

IMHO. YMMV.

saikatbiswas82 a question, UPnPlay just acts as a control point, it should handle FLACS, what media server are you using and also which AVR u using as renderer.

saikatbiswas82 a question, UPnPplay just acts a control point, it should handle FLACS, what media server are you using and also which AVR u using as renderer.
As renderer, I was using my Yamaha Aventage 810 AVR.

As far as Downsampling goes I think I read somewhere natively Android only support 48 kHz.
Not completely sure as I don't remember source of this information

I also tried something similar with a paid app called Neutron player

It can read music library from a dlna server, ftp or samba and output to any upnp renderer

Used moode as upnp renderer. This was just a small experiment I tried so that anyone in my home can access my whole music library though their mobiles or tablets and output to a Bluetooth speaker if needed

Neutron has other features which may or may not be useful for others

As far as Downsampling goes I think I read somewhere natively Android only support 48 kHz.

Is that when using Android as source or anywhere in the chain i.e. as remote for UPnP?

I'm using BubbleUPnP via Android and also Chromecast Audio and I'm getting 24/96 to AVR and DAC. That's the CCA limit. Without CCA and direct to AVR (wireless) and DAC (wired) I'm getting 24/192, and that's the upper limit of my AVRs and DACs, as I don't have anything DSD capable.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back