Streaming device advice

uncle_lazy_at

So I recently setup my 5.1 and looking for more inputs on how to improve my streaming quality.
I have ACT SmartTV device - This I use for Zee5, Disney+ and KODI
KODI - Connects to a SMB share which is in a Rpi. I download stuff for playback in rpi.
Netflix and Prime - Play directly from LG TV (55UH850T).

Now, I am thinking to upgrade my playback source for OTT Contents. KODI i guess i have to continue in ACT, its configured to do audio passthru. So i think its fine.

I am thinking - is it worth upgrading to AppleTV for Netflix, Prime, Zee5, SonySix and Disney+ considering my old tv (its 4k, 55inc 2016 model)? fyi, Prime quality is far better than NF in my LG tv and so in my friends tv. Assuming that NF app is not great in LG app.

Forgot to mention about playback of songs. For now i have to stick to Amazon Music.
Also, just read about ShieldPro - Is it available in India ?

I’d recommend upgrading to the latest Apple TV 4K (I have the first gen. ATV4K). Worth the price of admission for Apple TV+ content alone IMO. If Prime is better than Netflix through your TV’s in-built apps, you’re in for a treat if you go with the Apple TV.

If OTT is your main usage, Apple TV is still the best streaming device. From my observation, streaming platforms update their App’s regularly on Apple TV compared to other streaming devices.
If you need it for both OTT streaming and for local file playback, then Shield TV Pro is the best option.
You can check Fire TV stick too, but in my case, it got a bit slow after a while.
Hope it helps.

If OTT is your main usage, Apple TV is still the best streaming device. From my observation, streaming platforms update their App’s regularly on Apple TV compared to other streaming devices.
If you need it for both OTT streaming and for local file playback, then Shield TV Pro is the best option.
You can check Fire TV stick too, but in my case, it got a bit slow after a while.
Hope it helps.
Even i heard the same feedback about Firestick. Is it possible to purchase shield pro from here in India.
Chromecast with Google TV, less costlier no compromise solution for OTT streaming. Could even be further enhanced using USB C Hub to play the offline files from Hard Disk
Not a big fan of casting from mobile. Not sure how Google TV works, assumed i have to cast. I dont play from Hard disk but access the content via KODI. The movies are stored in an external hdd accessible via rpi.

Even i heard the same feedback about Firestick. Is it possible to purchase shield pro from here in India.

Not a big fan of casting from mobile. Not sure how Google TV works, assumed i have to cast. I dont play from Hard disk but access the content via KODI. The movies are stored in an external hdd accessible via rpi.
It has most of OTT streaming app built in, you don't need to "cast".
I did not find much of a difference in quality while comparing Apple TV and the latest Chromecast 4K

I would recommend getting a Firestick 4k (the non-max version). I earlier used a non-4k Firestick which did get a bit slow (though very much usable). I've been using a 4k version since 2019 and observe no slowness or lag. I prefer Firestick to using inbuilt apps on my LG OLED.

If you wait for an Amazon sale, you could get it at a good price. Hope this helps.

I have been using a Firetv TV 4k for past 3 years or so. Has not gone slow and the quality of various apps is quite good. Again, this is not the stick version.

That said, if you are upgrading, it would be recommended to go for either Apple TV or the Shield Pro.

MaSh

If you care about RIPs of Dolby Vision content then Chromecast with Google TV as it's the only device on the planet which can play Dual Layer Profile 7 FEL DVs otherwise Firestick, Nvidia Shield. Apple TV is also a great device but for the similar price you can get shield which supports lossless audio.

If you care about RIPs of Dolby Vision content then Chromecast with Google TV as it's the only device on the planet which can play Dual Layer Profile 7 FEL DVs otherwise Firestick, Nvidia Shield. Apple TV is also a great device but for the similar price you can get shield which supports lossless audio.
Should I buy from Amazon.com is that correct? I read some reviews that it bit headache to make is working. Playstore won't work easily due to county ? Is that correct. Chromecase - does it support installing KODI as well ?

Should I buy from Amazon.com is that correct? I read some reviews that it bit headache to make is working. Playstore won't work easily due to county ? Is that correct. Chromecase - does it support installing KODI as well ?
What's your budget? Do you have an AVR or home theatre? TV Model?

Get fire tv stick 4k max its speed is huge improvement over non 4k max and i used it in my lgsp8a soundbar as hdmi input device for dolby atmos and loved it so far have good speed as well as picture quality
By the way got it for 3400 after all card discount on amazon prime day sale.

Didnt think about budget yet, but i guess i should be ok. I have denon S650H but will be getting x1700 tomorrow. TV - 55UH850T (55inch 4K LG,2016 model)
55 inch is small so you won't get much benifit from Remuxes so you can buy anything you want if you don't care about Audio however if you do then get a Nvidia Shield.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back