Streaming music wirelessly to my Bose Wave Radio

setsun

Hi,

I intend to wirelessly stream music [read as WI-FI] on to my Bose Wave Radio III that has an Aux In port [3.5 mm female port ]. I am seeking your advise on what components I should buy to achieve wireless streaming

This are what I have

1. Bose Wave Radio III with Aux In
2. Samsung TV with 3.5 MM out + Optical out
3. iPhone 4s
4. Macbook Pro - I can plug in an optical cable [ with Toslink to 3.5 mm mini adapter attached to the optical cable]
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab
6. Hard Disk full of music + videos
7. DSL router

Couple of questions
1. Does Bose Wave Radio III accepts toslink adapter as input? i.e. can I stream in digital music to my bose through toslink adapter?

2. Most of the time, I would want to stream music over Wi-Fi in my iPhone / Samsung tablet[not many] / hard disk. Given this requirement, what equipment I must buy? I know I am looking for a media player kind of equipment that is Wifi capable to which i can plug in my hard disk.

Right now I could think of Airport Express, setup as a client to my router, run in the 3.5 mm cable between Airport Express and Bose. Stream music from iPhone,macbook and Samsung tab [ via Airfoil ]

Also I could think of Apple TV. But I guess Apple TV has optical out only. So, can i plug in to my bose with Toslink adapter attached to the cable?

3. How should the devices be setup /connected? I mean the configuration.

Am so confused.

Thanks in advance.

Arun

No ur wave radio cannot take optical / toshlink input..

As you have many apple devices airport express works .
Buy a affordable and portable DAC with optical input(s) and connect in between bose radio and airport express ( airport express gives 3.5 mm optical out) - ot will give far better output...

Note that with airporrt express you can play only apple compatible files - and if you have flac need to convert into Alac...played through itunes.Least i did not find any solution........ but you can use your iphone over wifi as itunes remote...

BTW I am planning to sell my almost unused airport express + 1 3.5 mm optical cable + 1 3.5 mm optical to Normal adapther ...

Hi Hemantwaghe,

Thanks for your response.
Quick questions:

1. If i were to use Airport Express, why do I need DAC? can't I plug-in a 3.5 mm between Bose and AE?

2. Any other alternative to AE ? Like some mediaplayer with WI-FI. I'm sure something like that exists. But I cannot visualize the configuration.

Thank you
Arun

Hi Hemantwaghe,

1. If i were to use Airport Express, why do I need DAC? can't I plug-in a 3.5 mm between Bose and AE?

Thank you
Arun

To bypass the lousy onboard dac ..in apple laptop too I think headphone socket doubles ad optical out...

An Airport Express will do the job nicely, I use it to stream to my Yamaha AVR from my iPod touch. Best to use the iPod touch than your laptop as the output will be of better quality. If you go with AE then you can also use your android tablet to stream music. You will need apps like 'Honey player' from the Android market, there are many other alternatives that you can try as well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back